Is it just me or are there a lot of angry people here?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?
Is it just me or are there a lot of angry people here?
May 25, 2012

I just opened another thread (which shall remain nameless) to see yet another ill tempered, totally unwarranted and largely pointless response. Am I mistaken in thinking we've a lot of people who could do with some help here? Am I one of them? I've already politely suggested someone gently remove stick from anus this week.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: Is it just me or are there a lot of angry people here?
In reply to tinternaut, May 25, 2012

That's just the way DPR forums + comments roll. The DPR staff posts (you know... the real reason why DPR exisits ) are usually great. It's the user base....

I will say 2 things: 1) anything to do with ยต4/3 triples in the annoying factor, it just brings out the cranks. 2) Even before the internet, camera gear heads were always known for having a high percentage of egotistical inferiority-complex jerk-faces. With the internet... they have a public forum to display their knowledge (aka- poor opinions), and in a semi anonymous manner.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robertj_298
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?

Purely a case of persecution complex . Folks on this forum do not like to be told that the fourthirds system has its weaknesses along with its strengths. They like to convey the system is better than all other systems and smaller to boot. The I'm the little guy and have to prove I'm better than the big guy mentality and don't infer anything else or you'll be labeled a troll. All digital systems have their strengths and weaknesses you just have to weigh whats right for you

BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?

Sign of the times is all I can say.

I was commenting to someone about how texting has become commonplace for me.

Why?

If honest I will say it because I do not want to be bothered that much.
I may feel that my time is limited, whether it really is or not

(after all, I am wasting time on this forum) ..and I can get somewhat aggravated if my precious time is disturbed !

That may be a bit exaggerated, but I think it may hold merit in how we handle our emotions in this stressful world we live in.

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

I'm thinking of going back to watching grass grow.
boris
--

http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Teski
Forum ProPosts: 13,046Gear list
Like?
It's the nature of the forums

Nothing new, and it really won't change. It's easy for people to hide behind their computers and beat up on others virtually. Plus, people get so touchy about their investments in gear that they easily get defensive. Sad but true.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Teski
Photo-A-Day project - http://www.blipfoto.com/teski
Professional site - http://www.tedescophotography.com

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,406
Like?

Most of the vitriol comes from the failure to grasp two simple concepts:

• all products have strengths and weaknesses

• two people can put different values on the various characteristics of a camera, lens, etc. without either one of them being misinformed or an idiot.

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

last time i made a remark from someone attacking me i was struck with the ban hammer and it looks like that nick was permanently banned, so now although i like a good discussion i try not to get personal.........i save that for when i'm driving
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
heterogeneous camera owners

The problem is not only do you have your typical forum users and the tech-heads, but you have heterogeneous camera owners. You have people who own multipe camera systems and people who for years were dedicated to a different system. Add to that the nature of Micro Four Thirds, in that multiple comapanies make the cameras and the competition that goes with it. Compare that to the Canon forum where everyone owns Canon.

One other segment you see here are the people very attracted to M43, but whom are also very jealous. You will see people "magically" show up the day a camera or lens is announced and say, "my camera is better! m43 is bad!", and then go away.

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,008Gear list
Like?

tinternaut wrote:

I just opened another thread (which shall remain nameless) to see yet another ill tempered, totally unwarranted and largely pointless response.

Welcome to the internet!

People can hide behind their handles and say whatever they want, in whatever tone they want, with zero regard. That sort of thing certainly isn't confined to these forums.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286
Like?
In reply to muddyfunster, May 25, 2012

Who are the moderators of this forum?

Hopefully not any of the inmates.

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?

I'd argue that this has been a pretty bad week. m43 had two major announcements this week, and had I been solely reading this forum I would have come away with the impression that Panny and Oly each released their worst products of all time, instead of rather the first fast constant aperture zoom for m43 and the longest prime lens yet released for m43.

Far too many people have focused on the drawbacks of these products - doesn't have the DOF control they want, too expensive, whatever... and have done so without giving thought to the context of m43, how these products compare to other m43 alternatives or even how they compare to similar choices users of other systems might have.

jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
Johann D
Contributing MemberPosts: 608
Like?

No, it's not just you...this is the sewerpipe of camera forums. Folks here are classy with a K.

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johann D, May 25, 2012

tis the way of forums

wait till one of the equivelence nutters trys to tell you that F8 really is F16 .. then the fun starts ........
for the record F8 is F8 is F8 FACT

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?
Re: Tell me about it.....
In reply to deleted_081301, May 25, 2012

First experiment I did as noob, moving from a point and shoot to a new fangled DSLR was to try the same aperture and ISO on the same camera. Allowing for differences in ISO, both cameras indicated correct exposure in the same ballpark (i.e. more or less the same shutter). F8 really is F-effing-8.

DoF, and how much of it you get relative to aperture, focal length, distance to subject and sensor size is a different matter.

Oh, and I'm still a noob BTW.

DickyUK wrote:

tis the way of forums

wait till one of the equivelence nutters trys to tell you that F8 really is F16 .. then the fun starts ........
for the record F8 is F8 is F8 FACT

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,033Gear list
Like?
Tends to happen when conventional wisdom gets a jolt

M43 is finally emerging from it's 'P&S on steroids' roots, and push into serious amateur territory with high performance bodies and sharp primes. Arguably, it did that with the GH2, but with the developments within the last year, it's readily apparent that this isn't your daughter's snapshot camera any more.

That will rattle the conventional wisdoms of bigger is better, mirror and prism, if C/N don't make it, it can't be any good, what have you. For all the high tech these days, photography can be remarkably traditional in a lot of ways - it doesn't see this sort of radical change very often, especially when the traditional leaders are notably absent.

On occasion, I read through some of this stuff, and imagine someone who knows nothing about the subject coming across the discussions, and thinking: These people must be completely bonkers...

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
mring1
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
I recall a comment from Mr. Terada....

and no, it wasn't the "one beautiful system" comment, but rather the one where he (correctly) identified many Western photographers as "conservative." Meaning...prisms....mirrors that go 'flop'...a camera that looks like a camera.

No accident that the first market focus was the Pacific Rim, where compact size, lcd screen viewing and stylish design are important elements. That also pulled an entirely new customer base into the fold. Oh, yeah...it also meant no more cameras with mirrors that go "flop"....and we all know what that meant.

So now, Olympus has released a camera with a prism-shaped top, a design that harkens back to a camera all us conservative types remember fondly...with guts that reflect and cutting edge design that doesn't need a flopping mirror.

Oh...and it doesn't have a C* or and N* on the front. Now, that's got some folks undies all in a wad, especially since some of their gurus are saying these mirrorless cameras might have a future.

Change is difficult. It makes people upset. A lot of folks on DPR's fora aren't happy. But, everyone has a choice. You can still find Canons, Nikons, Pentaxes and Oly's on FleaBay.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?

I don't know if there are a lot of angry people or a lot of posts from a few angry people. My introduction to this forum was last December. My initial post was met with someone basically implying I was an idiot and I had selected the "wrong" camera. What was worse was that the advice to select the "right" camera contained misinformation. I quickly learned who to ignore and who's posts to read.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,596Gear list
Like?
Tame forum compared to....

I "grew up" on the late un-lamented Photoshopper forum in film days, now that was a place bubbling with total idiots and trolls but a few made sense and it was worthwhile seeking their posts.

Their wars were mostly Canon vs Nikon and it was amusing how quiet the forum was in those early days when not that many at-home Internet users were around and summer holidays were happening, but when colleges went back and the trolls got on the 'net, then all hell broke loose again.

Moderation hardly existed and was slow to react and the language, well, that would make a school kid blush. Finally it just overwhelmed the person who started it so it was killed.

Just for fun my signature line then added "The Prime Lens Preacher" as it helped to upset some people. I always use my real name though wherever I go and made some good friends there. Since then I grew up and realised that "Zooms are Good" but "Primes are Nice to Own as Well".

Just now was Googling to find any memories of Photoshopper and all I found was my very own post from last year http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=39485265 which said much the same as here.

Ah! Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be.

Regards......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
It's just you.....

tinternaut wrote:

I just opened another thread (which shall remain nameless) to see yet another ill tempered, totally unwarranted and largely pointless response. Am I mistaken in thinking we've a lot of people who could do with some help here? Am I one of them? I've already politely suggested someone gently remove stick from anus this week.

everthing is fine.

Please move along.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads