Help with Lighting Kit and Canon 60D

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
dan9700
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Help with Lighting Kit and Canon 60D
May 25, 2012

Hi i have the 60D canon and getting 5D mark iii soon and i just ordered this lighting kit for home studio

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/74368/show.html

Just wanna know how do i get it all set up so it flashes does a cable work or do i need a wireless thing?

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Help with Lighting Kit and Canon 60D
In reply to dan9700, May 25, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJ7v-fL9UM

that's some of how to put it together and stuff, I assume from the quality of this that the DVD you get should show you more. If you read the product description it states it contains everything you need, including cables. You may want to research each individual product included, a simple YouTube search is the best way to get a visual idea of how it goes together.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?

You will get much more response from the lighting forum.

I use the RF602 wireless trigger and am happy. There are others out there, newer models that work equally well. The Phottix triggers are well regarded as are RadioPoppers and CyberSyncs (web search the names for info). Also check with the lighting forum and lightingrumours.com. Here is their review page. Scroll down for more models.

http://www.lightingrumours.com/articles/reviews
--
-Gene L.
http://www.ttl-biz.com
http://www.studiography.blogspot.com

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
MPrince
Contributing MemberPosts: 956
Like?

This is the news discussion forum. It is reserved for discussing photography news.

Please post your question in either the lighting forum or one of the canon forums (but not both, as crossposting is frowned upon).

Thank you for your future assistance in maintaining the integrity of the news discussion forum, the place for discussing photography news.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 10,984
Like?
In reply to MPrince, May 26, 2012

MPrince wrote:

This is the news discussion forum. It is reserved for discussing photography news.

Please post your question in either the lighting forum or one of the canon forums (but not both, as crossposting is frowned upon).

Thank you for your future assistance in maintaining the integrity of the news discussion forum, the place for discussing photography news.

Hello, this is the Beginner’s Forum, and a very valid place to post such a question. Please set your police report straight.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to dan9700, May 26, 2012

dan9700 wrote:

Hi i have the 60D canon and getting 5D mark iii soon and i just ordered this lighting kit for home studio

I would be very reticent to jump into such a kit without more details of the power of the units, their variability, what sort of mounting system they use, etc.

Just wanna know how do i get it all set up so it flashes does a cable work or do i need a wireless thing?

It says that every thing is included, so I would presume that at very least a sync cable is provided. You would attach one light to the camera and trigger the others as optical slaves. It works perfectly, but gives you no remote control of the output from the lights.

To be honest, I would look at a higher quality single light, and once you have mastered that, add to it. Lightstands are very inexpensive. Brollies are very inexpensive.

Brian A

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Wake up, sweet Prince...
In reply to MPrince, May 26, 2012

... and have another cup of joe so that the powers of perception and reading comprehension are firing on all cylinders...

MPrince wrote:

This is the news discussion forum.

No it isn't,look around!

B - stands for beginner
E - stands for everyone is welcome to ask - anything they want!

G - stands for geeks that feel the need to police a very small internet photo forum
I - stands for how I laugh at internet policemen
N - stands for the news forums, which this is not
N - see above
E - stands for the energy Prince wrongly put into chastising the OP
R - stands for reading - it's fundamental for proper comprehension

It is reserved for discussing photography news.

Now stop lying, it's not necessary. Truth, love, and TOLERANCE, dude!

Hey! Or maybe the beginner forum since they are beginning with their lights.

(also, feel free to cross post to the lighting/etc forums - not everyone is so obviously uptight about a stupid internet site)

Thank you, Prince, for spewing such a worthless and ill-directed rant at the OP who is totally undeserving of it. People who take on an assumed role of authority over such petty matters shows a real lack of substance in their own lives.

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Suggestions and Ideas

dan9700 wrote:

That is a good solid kit from Interfit. The EX mount is their proprietary mount they use on their less expensive lights. They also offer S mounts on their better lights, but the EX is fine for starting out and a long time into the future. Interfit is also pretty good at putting together very usable combo packages such as this one. You shouldn't have a problem except learning how to use them.

It worries me a little that you're asking how to trigger these and yet you're making a buying decision like this. You probably should have already done some homework before buying.

The most basic way to trigger them is the way Brian mentions and it's a good way, The only downside is there's a sync cable you can trip over and all the lights have to be adjusted on the back of each light when you want to change settings. It's all manual. Most of us prefer manual but it's nice to be able to change settings from the shooting position. The sync cable goes from your camera to the Key Light or main light, then it triggers the rest through a slave photocell built into your other lights. This cable and everything will all be included along with directions on this method.

You can move up to one of many radio triggers available on eBay or from other sources. These often work just fine. You need only to have that connection between the key light and the camera. Again the Key Light triggers the others by slave. This still doesn't allow tethered control of the lighting from the camera position but there's one less cable to trip on and to pull down the light stand. You get a longer reach as well because the cables that come with lights are 15 feet long. That's not much when you consider down to the floor and back up to the light on the other end. You might only be left with 3 to 5 feet unless you want a real booby-trap.

The best radio triggers have eTTL or iTTL pass-through for Canon and Nikon. What this means is you can use your camera's lighting system to adjust the lights from camera position and use them similar to off camera strobes. I've recently switched to Pocket Wizard's new system and it works fantastically. You need one on the camera and one on each light. They aren't cheap and would easily cost you more than you've already spent on the lights, so I'd wait and make sure before this level of investment. I also have the Pocket Wizard group controller which makes it a breeze to change lighting from the camera position. If you go to the PW site there are a lot of videos showing you how it works. It's pretty amazing, though a lot of us old timers don't trust it.

Many of my friends like Radio Poppers brand in their studio, but I'm a Pocket Wizard person and have been using them a long time. Radio Poppers are quite expensive but are of good quality.

I'd start out with just the sync cord and the slaves which comes with the kit. I'd later consider a brand of radio triggers if you stick with it. I think Interfit also makes their own brand of triggers too. As I said, most don't do eTTL but the more expensive sometimes do. Some people use their camera's flash to trigger slaves on all the lights, but I'd not do that. The camera's flash will contribute unwanted light.

Those are 150 watt second lights or 150 joules depending on which term you prefer. That's enough power for a small studio when you're shooting at ISO 100. You might have to bump that if you go to larger modifiers i.e. bigger softbox.

Good tutorials

http://lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/index.html

http://www.visatec.com/visatec/tutorials/light-comparison/

http://www.portraitlighting.net/index.htm

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=96872

Product sites

http://www.pocketwizard.com/

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/

http://radiopopper.com/

http://www.chimeralighting.com/

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,450Gear list
Like?
I suggest lightening up
In reply to kgbruce01, May 26, 2012

kgbruce01 wrote:

... and have another cup of joe so that the powers of perception and reading comprehension are firing on all cylinders...

MPrince wrote:

No it isn't,look around!

B - stands for beginner

G - stands for geeks that feel the need to police a very small internet photo forum
N - see above

(also, feel free to cross post to the lighting/etc forums - not everyone is so obviously uptight about a stupid internet site)

Thank you, Prince, for spewing such a worthless and ill-directed rant at the OP who is totally undeserving of it. People who take on an assumed role of authority over such petty matters shows a real lack of substance in their own lives.

I appreciate the amount of work you devoted to your rant but the OP originally posted in the news forum and the thread was moved to Beginners Questions by the moderators.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483
Like?

dan9700 wrote:

Thanks

a "wireless thing" would be better than a PC sync cord

Leonard Migliore
Like?
That's very true
In reply to beagle1, May 26, 2012

beagle1 wrote:

dan9700 wrote:

Thanks

a "wireless thing" would be better than a PC sync cord

Yes indeed, if only for the fact that you can't trip over a wireless. Besides that, PC connections are flaky and the plugs often fall off. The better wireless setups also let you control the lights from your camera, which is a major plus.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
MPrince
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, May 27, 2012

Hugowolf wrote:

MPrince wrote:

Hello, this is the Beginner’s Forum, and a very valid place to post such a question. Please set your police report straight.

Brian A

At the time I posted, this thread was in the news discussion forum.

I accept your apology in advance.

MPrince
Like?
Re: Wake up, sweet Prince...
In reply to kgbruce01, May 27, 2012

kgbruce01 wrote:

MPrince wrote:

No it isn't,look around!

B - stands for beginner

N - see above

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to MPrince, May 27, 2012

MPrince wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

MPrince wrote:

Brian A

None given.

Brian A

MPrince
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, May 27, 2012

Hugowolf wrote:

MPrince wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

MPrince wrote:

Brian A

None given.

Brian A

Yeah, I figured at least one of you wouldn't be man enough to apologize.

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: Wake up, sweet Prince...
In reply to MPrince, May 28, 2012

MPrince wrote:

Liar.

(and I preemptively rescinded this mythical apology you imagined long before you typed your silly response)

Leonard Migliore
Like?
That's not lightening up
In reply to kgbruce01, May 28, 2012

kgbruce01 wrote:

MPrince wrote:

Liar.

(and I preemptively rescinded this mythical apology you imagined long before you typed your silly response)

While you may not choose to apologize to MPrince, I did see the original post in the News forum along with MPrince's response. So a playground response only diminishes your credibility.
--
Leonard Migliore

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads