How many people are actually keeping their D800(E)?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 776Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you a troll or so? - Answer: YES ABSOLUTELY (NT)
In reply to Nippondenso, May 26, 2012
-- hide signature --

NT---

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,602
Like?
Yes, the OP is a troll.
In reply to 4x5 Guy, May 26, 2012

4x5 Guy wrote:

It's very clear that you publish posts and start threads simply to provoke people in a negative way.

Correct.

Nippondenso
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Re: This AF thing gets stranger and stranger ...
In reply to alabaster, May 26, 2012

alabaster wrote:

It might sound strange but this is when I question the validity of these claims. Frankly, I have no problem calling bull on the claim that one person had three bad D800s in a row. You pick the scenario of samples taken at random or three consecutive serial numbers and I will bet you couldn't duplicate the claim of three bad D800s in a row.

I don't get why you find this 'bull'. Are you just unable to accept a perfectly reasonable person's blog post as being true. Do you always think people are posting lies?

Statistically speaking it is near impossible. It falls into the same category as accurately predicting the end of the world twice. And no I do not take what I read on the net as actual true facts unless I can verify. Without verification the claims are nothing more than fiction righting and very rarely elevate past the general entertainment stage.

On a statistical basis the scenario is also quite reasonable. I mean its quite plausible that dozens of D800s coming off the production line in a row all have this fault. So you could buy a dozen cameras from the same source and all would have the same fault.

True, anything is possible, but is most likely improbable. To many variable in the equation to make this scenario probably. I'm not a believer until evidence is presented. Did Nikon make a statement acknowledging the problem? If so, I will be a believer. I can't fond anything on Nikon's site about this issue.

Nippondenso
Like?
Re: How many people are actually keeping their D800(E)?

alabaster wrote:

Nippondenso wrote:

Why would you think that? It takes time to get to know the idiosyncraticy of a new camera body. While I will admit I know how to use any Nikon body I won't say that I'm an expert at using one I just picked up and tried to work the contrls without looking. So I disagree with anyone that says they can spot an AF problem with the D800 the first day they pick it up.

What's so different about the D800 focus system to a D700? As soon as I picked up a D800 it felt totally familiar. The only confusion I had for about ten seconds was that they reversed the positions of the + - image zoom buttons. The only thing idiosyncratic about the new camera body I tried was that it couldn't focus sharply with the right AF point. I could tell this within 5 minutes of using it in the shop. The salesman even had a focus target there to use, and admitted that it was a common flaw.

I never held a D700 in my hands or used one. Do the D800 and D700 share the same AF module and firmware? Do you accept the fact that each camera and lens might have slightly different tolerances while still being in acceptable manufacturer's specs? This might mean one has to spend time checking lenses and fine tune them to the body. Unless a problem is major enough to cause a malfunction I don't believe one day is enough time to get familiar with a camera and properly evaluate it.

Anybody can take a camera from a different manufacturer and be totally unfamiliar with it and take good pictures in a few minutes but that doesn't change the fact they really don't know the camera.

BTW he also said it would be easy to sell the unit because many people weren't very critical about such things. So there you have one of the statistical problems when trying to 'size' this problem. Returned cameras may very well be resold to unsuspecting or less critical users who will never really notice or seal with the problem, so the camera are still out there. I know one thing for sure is that I won't be buying a used D800.

This statement alone means the cameras are working well enough to produce great results in real world shooting circumstances and the problem is not as large as made out to be and borders a non-issue.

I intend to keep using my older cameras for the moment until the news changes to a more positive tone. After all they have served me very well for 3 years. Pity Nikon couldn't get this right straight away, but you have to cut them some slack due to an earthquake, tsunami, no nuclear power in Japan, and floods in Thailand.

My D800 worked nicely and as advertised. While it isn't the body for me I would highly recommend you get one and enjoy it.

Nippondenso
Like?
Re: How many people are actually keeping their D800(E)?

alabaster wrote:

alabaster wrote:

it couldn't focus sharply with the right AF point.

Sorry, that should read "left AF point" of course

Must not be as much of a problem as you are trying to make it out to be. You can't even state the correct side having the "issue" you are claiming.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,339Gear list
Like?
Re: This AF thing gets stranger and stranger ...

alabaster wrote:

It might sound strange but this is when I question the validity of these claims. Frankly, I have no problem calling bull on the claim that one person had three bad D800s in a row. You pick the scenario of samples taken at random or three consecutive serial numbers and I will bet you couldn't duplicate the claim of three bad D800s in a row.

I don't get why you find this 'bull'. Are you just unable to accept a perfectly reasonable person's blog post as being true. Do you always think people are posting lies?

On a statistical basis the scenario is also quite reasonable. I mean its quite plausible that dozens of D800s coming off the production line in a row all have this fault. So you could buy a dozen cameras from the same source and all would have the same fault.
--

Those who've had AF issues exchanged their cameras, some say many times. This is what I would do. But if I had a camera that worked perfectly I wouldn't exchange it at all, let alone many times. So this makes for a very poor comparison of the number of good cameras vs bad ones.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads