Why isnt the PL452.8 the reference lens for testing m43?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
May 25, 2012

Does anybody find it kinda weird that the reference glass for m43 testing is a legacy 43 glass? I have nothing against the 50mm its a cracking glass, but still a native lens of the calibre of the PL452.8 is equal to the task, surely?

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,998Gear list
Like?
Re: Why isnt the PL452.8 the reference lens for testing m43?
In reply to Adventsam, May 25, 2012

Adventsam wrote:

Perhaps you missed it, but Andy Westlake already answered that question the first time you asked it. Have a look here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41606195

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Does anybody find it kinda weird that the reference glass for m43 testing is a legacy 43 glass? I have nothing against the 50mm its a cracking glass, but still a native lens of the calibre of the PL452.8 is equal to the task, surely?

Andy Westlake told/showed you why here :

Vaughan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Does anybody find it kinda weird that the reference glass for m43 testing is a legacy 43 glass?

Absolutely not.

Whether or not the PL45 is as sharp (and I doubt it, and I own both), the Oly 50 is a true reference in that it's been used to test every single 4/3 and micro 4/3 body and so provides a constant reference point for all future bodies against previous bodies.

Your constant advancing of all things Panasonic against all things Olympus does you a great disservice - you were right about the great improvements of LR4 but very few people took any notice of you because nobody takes you seriously because of your partisanship.

-- hide signature --
Adventsam
Like?
Re:OK I missed it.
In reply to Vaughan Williams, May 25, 2012

Now I know DPR got a bad copy; Thanks.

Vaughan Williams wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Does anybody find it kinda weird that the reference glass for m43 testing is a legacy 43 glass?

Absolutely not.

Whether or not the PL45 is as sharp (and I doubt it, and I own both), the Oly 50 is a true reference in that it's been used to test every single 4/3 and micro 4/3 body and so provides a constant reference point for all future bodies against previous bodies.

Your constant advancing of all things Panasonic against all things Olympus does you a great disservice - you were right about the great improvements of LR4 but very few people took any notice of you because nobody takes you seriously because of your partisanship.

Somebody has to be on Panasonic side, as this whole forum is so pro Olympus its embarrassing at times. I don't give a damm if people do or dont like what I say; I usually ask my questions in good spirit and generally they are received with good response. I am what I am and aint going to change. People generally don't like the truth, it hurts if it goes against there feelings.

-- hide signature --
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

"People generally don't like the truth,"

Since when is "fanboy delusion" a synonym for "truth"?

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
Anders W
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Somebody has to be on Panasonic side, as this whole forum is so pro Olympus its embarrassing at times.

Have you ever considered being on neither side or on both?

I don't give a damm if people do or dont like what I say

Yes, this is noticeable.

I usually ask my questions in good spirit and generally they are received with good response.

You are getting fewer good responses than you used to. And this is understandable.

I am what I am and aint going to change.

That's a pity.

People generally don't like the truth, it hurts if it goes against there feelings.

It's a mistake to generalize your own personality to others. I want to know the truth even if it hurts at times. Not so sure about you.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,809Gear list
Like?
Why they use 50mm
In reply to Ollie 2, May 25, 2012

Just check SLRGear's tests for both lenses and see that the 50/2 is the closest to a perfect lens. That's why it's the best thing to use for checking bodies.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/leica25f14dg/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/olympus50f2/tloader.htm

Regards.......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Anders W
Like?
Re: Why they use 50mm
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 25, 2012

Guy Parsons wrote:

Just check SLRGear's tests for both lenses and see that the 50/2 is the closest to a perfect lens. That's why it's the best thing to use for checking bodies.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/leica25f14dg/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/olympus50f2/tloader.htm

Guy,

The lens Adventsam suggested they use is the 45/2.8 macro (which SLRGear hasn't tested), not the 25/1.4. However, DPR themselves have tested both the 50/2 and the 45/2.8, and, the outcome of that contest is what Andy Westlake referred in order to motivate their preference for the 50/2.

Guy Parsons
Like?

Trawling through DPReview lens tests I found the reason why in text.....

The 45mm performs pretty well in our studio tests. It can't match the stratospheric standard set by the Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm F2 Macro (few lenses can), but it's decently sharp and has minimal distortion.

That's in http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_45_2p8_o20/3

I'm happy with both Olympus and Panasonic gear that I use so no real fanboy bias in my case. I do own the Oly 50/2 but by the time the AF finds where to focus, the subject has lost interest and gone home, but it is a really good lens.

Regards....... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 25, 2012

Anders W wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Somebody has to be on Panasonic side, as this whole forum is so pro Olympus its embarrassing at times.

I prefer Panasonic iq and equipment to Olympus for many reasons.

I don't give a damm if people do or dont like what I say

Yes, this is noticeable.

I usually ask my questions in good spirit and generally they are received with good response.

You are getting fewer good responses than you used to. And this is understandable.

I have no issue with this.

That's a pity.

You want me to change to pretend somehow?

People generally don't like the truth, it hurts if it goes against there feelings.

It's a mistake to generalize your own personality to others. I want to know the truth even if it hurts at times. Not so sure about you.

I think you are sure.

btw, back on topic, the 50mm macro tested on the e-3 body doesnt look so good? are we seeing sensor technology limiting these lens. The softness that dpr observed in the corners is a bit extreme as mostly the borders are sharp too, only extreme. Anyway, I still prefer the 45mm as its a native lens, adapters should be avoided for reference testing.

Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 25, 2012

Anders W wrote:

The lens Adventsam suggested they use is the 45/2.8 macro (which SLRGear hasn't tested), not the 25/1.4. However, DPR themselves have tested both the 50/2 and the 45/2.8, and, the outcome of that contest is what Andy Westlake referred in order to motivate their preference for the 50/2.

Oh hell, another brain spasm for today!

I had too many windows open and grabbed the wrong one. Sadly they didn't have a graph for the 45mm after I cleaned up my screen and clicked on the right test line - so we have to rely of the graphs of the DPReview tests which do show that the 45mm performance edge to edge is nowhere as good as the 50mm lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_45_2p8_o20/3

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_50_2_o20/3

Sorry again about my stupidity but it is in-built and hard to avoid.

Regards........... Guy

Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Another wonderful example of your view on the world. As it happens we tested two copies, both provided directly by Panasonic - this was (fractionally) the better of them, but overall performance was very consistent between the two.

The test results do not imply the Panasonic 45/2 is a bad lens, BTW. They simply confirm our long-standing opinion that the Olympus ZD 50mm F2 Macro is optically superb, and a benchmark optic that shows the quality of the Micro Four Thirds cameras from both Olympus and Panasonic in the best possible light.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
And furthermore . .
In reply to Andy Westlake, May 25, 2012

Andy Westlake wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Another wonderful example of your view on the world. As it happens we tested two copies, both provided directly by Panasonic - this was (fractionally) the better of them.

The test results do not imply the Panasonic 45/2 is a bad lens, BTW. They simply confirm our long-standing opinion that the Olympus ZD 50mm F2 Macro is optically superb, and a benchmark optic that shows the quality of the Micro Four Thirds cameras from both Olympus and Panasonic in the best possible light.

. . . You already provided the test data to Sam in another thread to show him why you use the 50/2 and it hasn't had any effect at all on his stubborn little crusade.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Adventsam
Like?

Guy,

The 50mm is a super lens, but I do struggle with the concept of using a lens designed for 43 and an adapter for reference testing on m43. I know people will say it doesnt matter, but for the most part few will use the 43 lens on m43 bodies.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Trawling through DPReview lens tests I found the reason why in text.....

The 45mm performs pretty well in our studio tests. It can't match the stratospheric standard set by the Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm F2 Macro (few lenses can), but it's decently sharp and has minimal distortion.

That's in http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_45_2p8_o20/3

I'm happy with both Olympus and Panasonic gear that I use so no real fanboy bias in my case. I do own the Oly 50/2 but by the time the AF finds where to focus, the subject has lost interest and gone home, but it is a really good lens.

Regards....... Guy

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Westlake, May 25, 2012

Andy Westlake wrote:

They simply confirm our long-standing opinion that the Olympus ZD 50mm F2 Macro is optically superb, and a benchmark optic that shows the quality of the Micro Four Thirds cameras from both Olympus and Panasonic in the best possible light.

There you go again, Andy, displaying your blatant bias.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,397Gear list
Like?
I like the Olympus 45mm f/1.8

It's reasonably sharp in this shot...(viewed at 100%)

http://bit.ly/JPNygP

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
Guy Parsons
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Guy,

The 50mm is a super lens, but I do struggle with the concept of using a lens designed for 43 and an adapter for reference testing on m43. I know people will say it doesnt matter, but for the most part few will use the 43 lens on m43 bodies.

The 50mm is a good lens but best used as a manual focus lens on M4/3 to avoid the frustration of the slow AF.

On the other hand my 4/3 11-22mm lens does perform AF acceptably fast (for me) so is a good lens for M4/3. I do have the 4/3 14-54 Mk1 lens and that is painfully slow AF but others say the Mk2 version of that lens does focus acceptably fast.

There is absolutely no problem with using a 4/3 lens for testing body resolution etc on M4/3 as the appropriate Oly or Pan adapter provides the correct distance to sensor. It's just that the AF may be slow, painfully slow or non-existent according to the lens-body combination chosen.

I notice that in the period that DPReview was testing the Olympus 50/2 lens they used a Panasonic 4/3 body as that body had the best resolution. I wonder if the Oly fanboys were raving on about that travesty in the same way that you are now raving about the reverse situation.

Regards........ Guy

Anders W
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

I prefer Panasonic iq and equipment to Olympus for many reasons.

Yes we know that you prefer Panasonic although the reasons are not always crystal clear. Personally I prefer this or that piece of equipment (of whatever brand) for this or that substantive reason. Have you ever tried this approach to the world? If not, you should. Very refreshing.

That's a pity.

You want me to change to pretend somehow?

No. I want you to be open to the possibility that you might change rather than being a closed system. Personally, I don't know in advance whether I will change or not. It depends on the information I encounter. Have you ever tried this approach to the world? If not, you should. Very refreshing.

I think you are sure.

Sure that I want to know the truth, yes.

btw, back on topic, the 50mm macro tested on the e-3 body doesnt look so good? are we seeing sensor technology limiting these lens. The softness that dpr observed in the corners is a bit extreme as mostly the borders are sharp too, only extreme.

Hmm. E-3? As far as I can see, DPR tested the 50 macro on the (presumably excellent) Panasonic L10.

Anyway, I still prefer the 45mm as its a native lens, adapters should be avoided for reference testing.

And the reason for that would in this case be?

Anders W
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Oh hell, another brain spasm for today!

Happens to all of us from time to time. My turn next. Please keep that in mind.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads