Oh for God's sake, let's please stop beating on this horse !...

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?
Oh for God's sake, let's please stop beating on this horse !...
May 25, 2012

It's way over DEAD !!

Someone posted yet ANOTHER "show me your shallow DOF pics with m4/3, they can't match my FF photos", and hop, 77 posts to this minute, trying to match his (far from attractive, from his sample) background blur. ENOUGH !

Let me put it this way : I must be among the five most rabid and extremist shallow DOF lovers on this board (and I'm being humble, I get a strong feeling I'm actually number one for this specific addiction and mania) but please please we've been over this topic and million times and back, everything has been said from totally exotic mathematic formulas to extremely obvious image samples.

m4/3 offers half the DOF control vs 135mm for the same equivalent settings, period.

Yes super shallow DOF CAN be achieved under certain controlled conditions, yes the new fast tele primes will certainly help in that department, but overall m4/3 is intended as a compromise for maximum performance and IQ in minimum size and weight.
And NO, I will not impose on you yet another string of shallow DOF pics
Rant over.

Sheeshh..

P.S. : I love my m4/3 gear and take it everywhere, and I intend to get the rumoured D600 when it comes out to have best of both worlds, because for a shallow DOF nut, 135mm remains a treat...

Marla.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shaocaholica
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
Re: Oh for God's sake, let's please stop beating on this horse !...
In reply to Marla2008, May 25, 2012

Wait till you use a bellows mounted large format camera. I've seen dust specks on the ground glass bigger than FT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?
its all a bit of fun.

cheers don

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,654Gear list
Like?

Marla -

I appreciate the post and I think it is maybe a good example of what I am myself coming to quite dislike about the Forums of late.

Fact is, we ALL have our own ideas on what is supposed to be a "good" pic..both in the composition and probably the technique.. I am getting more tired oif the very many comments that coime up seemigly far more of late, as to whether a pic has good or bad IQ, whether it is bad or wrong for some other reason.. whether the IQ or just the lens used is not as good..

We ALL have our own thoughts on what we like and think of a pic. Personally I hate the funny arty things and also often the HDR pics that to me look sometimes little better than you could get with a Box Brownie...whilst others will say how good they are. Comments and critique here now seems to be no guide whatever.. what pleases ME counts..I've been taking ipcs since old fikm days and going back to maybe 1950's or so.. and used cameras of all sorts up to what I then regarded as MY pinnacle, a Hasselblad which I loved for 15 years of use.

Yet I still have MY ideas of what I regard as a good or pleasing pic. It may not - probably DOES not suit many others. well..that's life.. not all are pleased with the same pic.. but it doesn't mean that OTHER pics should be slated as bad or not-so-good..they ARE to the poster and likely many others... so it has to be a case of live and let live..

But alas...it isn't so.. too many critiques and the impossible task of pleasing everytbody at any one time..
Less of these comments and I suspect the whoile Forums would be better...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
LOL...

the era of digital geek camera scientists are here

they dont know how to take images with one, but they sure know the math and physics of it all.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,017Gear list
Like?
Couldn't agree more (nt)
-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Couldn't agree more (nt)
In reply to GodSpeaks, May 25, 2012

Same here, it gets a bit tedious, the worst thing is the tone of some people; the anger a belligerence is sometimes too much, especially, on an opening post.

.J.

BTW, I'm sure the guy who started the post of which you speak is a massive troll. He starts off being angry, yet if he receives any critcism, he uses the age card.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +16 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
I like the extra DOF

It's good for what I usually shoot. Often with my old D700, I found myself having to use a higher ISO (much higher in many cases) because I had to go to a higher F number to get more DOF.

Anyway....a few recent 'just right for me' DOF photos

Let's all have a big group hug and then go take some pictures. Have fun arguing, people....because I'm going to go have fun making more photos (whether you like it or not LOL)

Elvis' awful Jungle Room at Graceland.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?

" The Lady doth protest too much ! "

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
No it's not
In reply to Donald B, May 25, 2012

. . . The equivalency freaks mighty be having fun but it's not much fun for their targeted audience.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,469Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh for God's sake, let's please stop beating war drums...

N/T
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Amen!

I agree 100%. You could make the same comparisons between medium format and full frame. The fact is it's all physics. And then you could continue with comparing large format and medium format. What's the use? Let's get on with making photographs.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
and what about birds in flight?
In reply to tomnorth, May 25, 2012

DPR is a good tech based site and the posts generally reflect that a lot of people have good knowledge intermixed with a little bit of fanboy rubbish and a dab of rude people. If I am looking for new gear, I spend hours here looking for opinions and facts and so it stands to reason that a lot of its business is centred around that. Having said that, once I have bought my new gear, I like to show a few photo's, so I want DPR to service both those desires but I think tech is the primary source of posting here and that is likely to remain so

Also interesting to glance at all the forums and note that some are more photo heavy than others (for a while at least).

Showing off a picture to prove 'something can be done' can be sometimes less than helpful to the questioner. The one that bugs me most is the 'can it do birds in flight' type question and then some readers feel compelled to show their 'birds in flight' photos to show it can be done. The posts frequently forget to mention that it may be one successful shot out 25, the rest being failures and lost opportunities, or that the low velocity gull was just hanging on an air current at the time.

Here's a shot I took with an EPL-1 and 100 - 300mm. It has NOTHING to do with birds in flight (though I might claim otherwise). It was a pre-focussed static shot, hoping to catch a bird arriving on or leaving a perch. This is the one shot out of twenty that worked and this one was just lucky, I didn't even see the bird on the right enter the frame. I would not dream of claiming that this combo is a 'good' bird in flight option.

-- hide signature --

my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

Roger Bloemers
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?

I love SDOP !
--
Roger Bloemers

Roger Bloemers's gear list:Roger Bloemers's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,824
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

It's way over DEAD !!

It was already completely determined in 2003
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5408801
--
Bob

Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
For me...

...I find myself wanting more depth of field more often than I finding myself wanting less depth of field. Sometimes the only reason it's brought up is the childish: "Mine's better than yours" nonsense that is often prevalent on these forums. Most of the time its really more about being different than being better.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

I don't think the posts on that thread were to say that m43 is as good as FF and lacks nothing in terms of shallow of depth of field. I think it's more inline with saying m43 can do shallow depth of field too. Not as good as FF but not so bad as to be discounted for it.

Just a suggestion Marla. You're the expert compared to me so I'm in no position to give you advice on such matters. But please accept my humble suggestion. Rather than go for the claimed FF Nikon for 1600$ why not buy one of those f0.95 50mm equivalent lenses for m43 and see if that works for you? If it does it'll save you the trouble of having two systems and will be cheaper for it too. If it doesn't, you could sell it for minimum loss I suppose. Not to be the devils advocate. But you're suggesting to purchase another system.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Tokina Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
Re: No it's not +5
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 25, 2012

nt
--
Kirk

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobn2, May 25, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

It's way over DEAD !!

It was already completely determined in 2003
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5408801
--
Bob

Well at least it wasn't a yardstick! geez I remember a lot of this stuff.

I remember (re-member is a strange word) at least 40 or 50 serious yardstick shot posts, at least it seemed that way, when the 10d came out, and someone said it back focused. These frozen wieners are classic...
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043
Like?
The horse was still moving

And now Marla you have indeed brought it back from the dead, so we have a Zombie horse that wants to eat our brains... : )

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads