7D in asia

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
7D in asia
May 25, 2012

I hopped a plane for home, America yesterday. I shopped at a few malls in Bangkok before I left. The 7D was everywhere for sale. Very cheap.. 1250 down to 1150. So something is fixing to happen I think. I almost bought one for a spare. But didn't. Anyway in Asia they are pumping them out the door as fast as they can. Getting rid of stock.

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 5,794Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D in asia
In reply to garyknrd, May 25, 2012

Living in Bangkok I can tell you that a lot of those 7D's are gray market cameras, sometimes illegally imported from Japan by Thai camera store owners. If the camera has been illegally imported then if anything goes wrong with the camera it must be given back to the store owner who will get it fixed the next time he goes to Japan.

Another example of a gray market camera being less expensive is that you can buy a 7D from B&H that has a US warrantee and service or you can buy a gray market one for a lower price, but then it has to be sent out of the US for service.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D in asia
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 26, 2012

I also live there on a retirement visa. And check with World camera and Fotofile allot.

Yes you are right of course. But I was in World camera and bought a lens there a couple of weeks ago and the 7D there was 1350 with a full Canon warranty. Also Fotofile has them a little higher but same thing. So, why is the grey market in U.S. so much higher?

I am curious. I really do not know? Also I just went to B&H photo and there prices on the 7D was way over the top compared to the two stores above.
Crazy marketing I guess from Canon. Different markets or something.

Sailor Blue wrote:

Living in Bangkok I can tell you that a lot of those 7D's are gray market cameras, sometimes illegally imported from Japan by Thai camera store owners. If the camera has been illegally imported then if anything goes wrong with the camera it must be given back to the store owner who will get it fixed the next time he goes to Japan.

Another example of a gray market camera being less expensive is that you can buy a 7D from B&H that has a US warrantee and service or you can buy a gray market one for a lower price, but then it has to be sent out of the US for service.

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads