Anyone use wireless strobe [flash] triggers on a KM7D?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions
simoru
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
Anyone use wireless strobe [flash] triggers on a KM7D?
May 25, 2012

Hi All

I recently purchased a Yongnuo 560 II flash to be used [manually] off camera. At the same time I purchased a hot shoe adapter, and 2 Yongnuo triggers [RC 603C from memory].

The flash works fine when attached to the camera [siting on the hot shoe adapter].

The triggers, however, when placed on the hot shoe adapter do not fire. Seems odd that the flash works, but the triggers don't.

If you shoot with off camera flash, I'd like to know what equipment you use - especially if it's not standard Minolta / Sony equipment. Alternatively, if you have any suggestions for how I could get my configuration working, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,186
Like?
Re: Anyone use wireless strobe [flash] triggers on a KM7D?
In reply to simoru, May 29, 2012

Simon, Yes, I use Cactus V5 triggers successfully on my 7D with various flash units.

Here's a quick pic I shot just now w/7D + Cactus V5 triggers after reading your post tonight.

I have not used your brand triggers on the 7D. My Cactus triggers work on my Nikon D300 and my Canon dslr as well. I use Vivitar (283, 285), Sunpak 622's and as you see in this pic, Nissin 866. All work with Cactus on all three brand cameras w/o any issues.

My bet would be your triggers if all else checks out. IOW, if the flash is working on top of your adapter, then that pretty well eliminates all three of those pieces of hardware (camera, flash and adapter) as being the problem. It strikes me that your triggers "should" work with the same brand/mfg flash units you have, so maybe the trigger(s) (perhaps just one?) is faulty? Lemme' know what you find out, okay?

BTW, please help me out if my wife finds out I fired a flash at her beloved Siamese fighting fish AND let the world see her water spotted fishbowl... 'Cause I will be in deep dodo if that happens
Regards, Jim
--
Odds N' Ends album here:
http://www.pbase.com/jimh/inbox&page=all
Z album here: http://www.pbase.com/jimh/marilyn_the_car&page=all

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
motormiller
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to simoru, May 29, 2012

Yes, I use a Sigma EF-530 dg super flash unit with my KM7D. Works like a charm.

simoru
Like?
In reply to Jim N'AZ, Jun 1, 2012

Thanks Jim.

I've ordered a new hot shoe adapter which explicitly states in the description that it can be used for wireless triggers. It somehow implied to me that there may be some hot shoe adapters out there which aren't compatible.

Fingers crossed.

So do Cactus make triggers which fit straight onto the KM7D, and also into generic brand flashes?

[I'll Google it in parallel to waiting for a response].

And no worries about the fish/bowl - happy to go along with any story you need to make up

Cheers
Simon

Jim N'AZ wrote:

Simon, Yes, I use Cactus V5 triggers successfully on my 7D with various flash units.

Here's a quick pic I shot just now w/7D + Cactus V5 triggers after reading your post tonight.

I have not used your brand triggers on the 7D. My Cactus triggers work on my Nikon D300 and my Canon dslr as well. I use Vivitar (283, 285), Sunpak 622's and as you see in this pic, Nissin 866. All work with Cactus on all three brand cameras w/o any issues.

My bet would be your triggers if all else checks out. IOW, if the flash is working on top of your adapter, then that pretty well eliminates all three of those pieces of hardware (camera, flash and adapter) as being the problem. It strikes me that your triggers "should" work with the same brand/mfg flash units you have, so maybe the trigger(s) (perhaps just one?) is faulty? Lemme' know what you find out, okay?

BTW, please help me out if my wife finds out I fired a flash at her beloved Siamese fighting fish AND let the world see her water spotted fishbowl... 'Cause I will be in deep dodo if that happens
Regards, Jim
--
Odds N' Ends album here:

-- hide signature --
simoru
Like?
In reply to simoru, Jun 1, 2012

OK so it looks like they're supposed to work so long as you have an adapter. Shortly I'll have 2 adapters so will know whether it's the triggers or the adapters.

Will keep you posted to assist others who may be in the same basket.

Simon Rutgers wrote:
Thanks Jim.

I've ordered a new hot shoe adapter which explicitly states in the description that it can be used for wireless triggers. It somehow implied to me that there may be some hot shoe adapters out there which aren't compatible.

Fingers crossed.

So do Cactus make triggers which fit straight onto the KM7D, and also into generic brand flashes?

And no worries about the fish/bowl - happy to go along with any story you need to make up

Cheers
Simon

Jim N'AZ wrote:

Regards, Jim
--
Odds N' Ends album here:

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Jim N'AZ
Like?
In reply to simoru, Jun 2, 2012

Simon, No, my Cactus V5 triggers don't use the Minolta proprietary foot, but utilize the conventional ISO foot/shoe arrangement. I use the original Minolta FS-1100 adapter on my 7d whenever needed.

BTW, are your triggers transceivers (interchangable) like the Cactus V5 or are they separate transmitters and receivers?
Regards, Jim

Simon Rutgers wrote:

Thanks Jim.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers
Simon

Odds N' Ends album here:

simoru
Like?
In reply to Jim N'AZ, Jun 5, 2012

Hi Jim,

Yep, the Yongnuo RF-603C's are interchangable. I'm still waiting on a new hotshoe adapter to see if that does the trick.

Seems those adapters can be DOA quite often - but I guess that's what you get when you pay $5 for them

Off topic - I wonder if I'm the only one still shooting with just the KM7D ?!

Cheers
Simon

Jim N'AZ wrote:

Simon, No, my Cactus V5 triggers don't use the Minolta proprietary foot, but utilize the conventional ISO foot/shoe arrangement. I use the original Minolta FS-1100 adapter on my 7d whenever needed.

BTW, are your triggers transceivers (interchangable) like the Cactus V5 or are they separate transmitters and receivers?
Regards, Jim

Simon Rutgers wrote:

Thanks Jim.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers
Simon

Odds N' Ends album here:

-- hide signature --
RichieO
Contributing MemberPosts: 845Gear list
Like?
In reply to simoru, Jun 5, 2012

Hi Simon!! Another 7dist here; I do have a Sony A100 as a backup, but I still reach for the 7d for most of my work.

Here are a couple of photos that I took last Friday at a work event; you may recognize the speaker

The photos didn't come out as sharp as I had hoped, but I think my settings were off a bit; I used the 7d and a beercan:

Rich
--
Alcohol and calculus don't mix; Never drink and derive.......

RichieO's gear list:RichieO's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +5 more
simoru
Like?
In reply to RichieO, Jun 6, 2012

Hey Richie,

Thanks for posting - glad there's a few 7D's still kickin on out there. As for who the speaker is - wasn't he on Jersey Shore or something? lol

Cheers
Simon

RichieO wrote:

Hi Simon!! Another 7dist here; I do have a Sony A100 as a backup, but I still reach for the 7d for most of my work.

Here are a couple of photos that I took last Friday at a work event; you may recognize the speaker

The photos didn't come out as sharp as I had hoped, but I think my settings were off a bit; I used the 7d and a beercan:

Rich
--
Alcohol and calculus don't mix; Never drink and derive.......

-- hide signature --
simoru
Like?
Finally got it working!
In reply to simoru, Jun 14, 2012

Hi All

For closure of this thread, just advising that I was able to get the Yongnuo 560 II to fire off camera using a Cactus V5 trigger [using a hot shoe adapter].

Seems the previous triggers I had [Yongnuo's] are fickle and work only with Canon and Nikon [even if you have the hot shoe adapter - they only work on-camera, not on triggers].

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Cheers
Simon
--
Rgds
Simon
http://www.simonrutgers.com

Jim N'AZ
Like?
Re: Finally got it working!
In reply to simoru, Jun 14, 2012

Bravo! Glad to see you "got er done".
Thx for coming back and sharing the outcome.
Regards, Jim

Simon Rutgers wrote:

Hi All

For closure of this thread, just advising that I was able to get the Yongnuo 560 II to fire off camera using a Cactus V5 trigger [using a hot shoe adapter].

Seems the previous triggers I had [Yongnuo's] are fickle and work only with Canon and Nikon [even if you have the hot shoe adapter - they only work on-camera, not on triggers].

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Cheers
Simon
--
Rgds
Simon
http://www.simonrutgers.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads