Canon 24-105 vs ???

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
jcgraphics77
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Canon 24-105 vs ???
May 24, 2012

I'm about to take the leap to FF and get the 5D2 or 3. I'd like a good all around lens for events/weddings. Best for groups, portraits, candids, etc. I'm considering the 24-105 f4. Seems like a great focal length and the IS would be great. Perhaps also the best bang for my buck, especially if I get a package deal. The 24-70 f2.8 is my next option. The extra stop would help with subject isolation but I would loose the extra reach. Otherwise, from what I've read, the IQ is similar. And then I can't help but wonder if the 24-70 II is really going to be worth the wait and not to mention all that extra dough! $2,300?! Wow! I really haven't had much luck with 3rd party lenses so I think I'll stick with Canon. Can you guys help me make up my mind??? Thanks! By the way, I currently use a 40D and 17-55 f2.8 IS.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-105 vs ???
In reply to jcgraphics77, May 25, 2012

jcgraphics77 wrote:

I'm about to take the leap to FF and get the 5D2 or 3. I'd like a good all around lens for events/weddings. Best for groups, portraits, candids, etc. I'm considering the 24-105 f4. Seems like a great focal length and the IS would be great. Perhaps also the best bang for my buck, especially if I get a package deal. The 24-70 f2.8 is my next option. The extra stop would help with subject isolation but I would loose the extra reach. Otherwise, from what I've read, the IQ is similar. And then I can't help but wonder if the 24-70 II is really going to be worth the wait and not to mention all that extra dough! $2,300?! Wow! I really haven't had much luck with 3rd party lenses so I think I'll stick with Canon. Can you guys help me make up my mind??? Thanks! By the way, I currently use a 40D and 17-55 f2.8 IS.

The wider range of the 24-105L is the difference maker for me. It's aterrific lens, verey well built, light weight (compared to the 24-70mm), and has a good IS system.

Used 24-105s are abundant and priced really well (probably 1/3 of the new 24-70) for the quality of this lens.

Fred

Fred

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wallybarthman
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

I own the 24-105 and have a very high opinion of it. The other lens you should consider Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 VC USD lens. The extra stop might be worth it - it may not - but it's worth thinking about.

wallybarthman's gear list:wallybarthman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
twistedlim
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?

The 24-105 does everything well but nothing great making it a very nice all around lens. You will net get the same background blur as the 24-70 but you can go to 105 and back up a bit to compensate. The biggest downfall is the distortion at 24 which can be corrected if need be but you will lose a bit of resolution. If I could only take one lens on vacation it would be the 24-105.

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
Curious
In reply to jcgraphics77, May 26, 2012

You don't give a reason for wanting to go FF. I am curious as to why you do not exchange your 40D for a 7D?
--
Less is more

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
jcgraphics77
Like?
In reply to twistedlim, May 27, 2012

Thanks all, for your input. The 24-105 does sound attractive. And I understand the IS will help when hand holding video. I may also wait to see how others like the new Tamron. I typically stick with Canon lenses but the Tamron sounds very interesting.

I'm not in a big hurry to decide but I'm afraid if I wait too long the forum may try to talk me into the super expensive 24-70 II!

Thanks again.

jcgraphics77
Like?
Re: Curious
In reply to Klaus dk, May 27, 2012

I am interested in the 5D for it's excellent high ISO ability. I love shooting available light and often find myself in dim bars and dance halls wishing I could increase ISO so I could increase shutter speed.

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
Thanks, I just wondered
In reply to jcgraphics77, May 27, 2012

No text
--
Less is more

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
cyrano
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
How often would you use f/2.8?
In reply to jcgraphics77, May 30, 2012

jcgraphics77 wrote:

I'm about to take the leap to FF and get the 5D2 or 3. I'd like a good all around lens for events/weddings. Best for groups, portraits, candids, etc.

I shoot lots of events, using 5D2s and a 1D4.

For group shots, f/2.8 is useless -- unless you're OK with some faces sharp and others soft. Depth of focus at f/2.8 for normal group-shot working distances just isn't sufficient to get everyone in focus. For event work, I typically shoot at f/5.6, and try to get f/8 if possible, to ensure everyone in my group shots will be tack-sharp.

If you're shooting as a hobbyist, and getting a relatively low percentage of keepers is OK, then shooting by available light is fine, and the extra stop of the 24-70 will be invaluable. But, if you're taking a client's money in return for a commitment to deliver a set of great images, then you can't plan to shoot everything by available light -- and when you add a speedlite to the equation, the 24-105 wins by virtue of the extra reach.

Tom Melanson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcgraphics77, Jun 3, 2012

Both the 24-105 an 24-70 are very good. The 24-105 and the original 24-70 are just about equal, but the new 24-70MkIIs looks to be better than either based on the graphs.

I have the 24-105 and original 24-70 f/2.8L and give the nod to the 24-70 for ultimate I.Q. Not by much, but it's there. As an all 'round carry lens though, the 24-105 is the winner for sure.

The best of the three for ultimate I.Q. looks to be the 24-70II but only worth it for the pickiest.

What I wanted and most others too--was for the new 24-70 to have IS. I think Canon felt that the IS might have added even more weight and not contributed to better image I.Q. (Might have even slightly degraded it) And would have added to the already very high cost.

For most applications, I think the 24-105 wins.
(My 24-70MkII is on pre-order)

-- hide signature --

(See equipment list under 'profile')

Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
The 24-105 f/4L lens is a good lens...

The 24-105 f/4L lens is a good lens... one that I think is a bit under rated by a few people. There is some distortion at the wide end of things, however, the new DPP software actually compensates for that now, so it's a Non-issue. I HIGHLY suggest that if you pick the lens up do the Micro-adjustment at both ends.

jcgraphics77 wrote:

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
s majesk
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
24-105 best bang for the buck

I was ready to fork over the cash for the new 24-70 but,
when I compared it to the 24-105 I was dissappointed.
Why pay good money for a zoom if that's all the zooming you get?
Other than the wide angle aspect, a foot zoom would do just
as well?
The 24-105 on the other hand was quite to my liking.
A stop slower, but better depth of field, a good thing on
a lens that will be on your camera most of the time.
And it's got the benefit of the image stabilization anyhow.
The 24-105 gets a bad rap on these forums for having
mediocre IQ, but it's not deserved.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads