Streetphotography images with Olympus OMD and Zeiss 25mm F2.8 ZM

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
robert van keulen
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?
Streetphotography images with Olympus OMD and Zeiss 25mm F2.8 ZM
May 24, 2012

Hi,

I have just uploaded some street photography sample images taken with the Olympus OMD, a Leica M mount adapter from Novoflex and the Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 25mm F2.8 ZM. a very nice combination because of the EV and stabilized view. All images in RAW . edited with Lightroom 3 and then converted to Black and White with Silver Efex Pro 2.
Take a look at the images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/transcontinenta/tags/carlzeisszm25mmf28/

selfportrait

a lucky shot with this nice shadow

They are all eating Dutch "Stroopwafels" hot and filled with sirop.

She was so focused on here conversation on the phone that she did not even noticed me untill i took the picture at 1 meter distance;->

enjoy the images Robert.

renttoown
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: Streetphotography images with Olympus OMD and Zeiss 25mm F2.8 ZM
In reply to robert van keulen, May 24, 2012

Dear Robert:

Nice photos & thank you for sharing them.

The photograph that jumps out at me is the 3rd image. The juxtaposition of the family & the advertisement is classic. Did you wait for the child to bend behind the mother's bag? As HCB would say, you caught the decisive moment. Good job.

Liked the 'lucky' shot. I am sure it was lucky because you didn't wait for it. Much of what is on the street is there briefly. You have to be there. You have to SEE it. You have to have your cam and be ready to push the shutter release. You were there, you saw it, had the came, and caught the image. Nice seeing and capture. Enjoyed the symmetry of the woman and her shadow. A lot of great street shots work with shadows. Good job.

The woman who was lost in conversation doesn't work for me. I might have taken this image too. I love taking street portraits. I liked the image of the male manneguin on her left shoulder but there was no juxtaposition. There was no relation between her and somebody else. Maybe if you went closer there might have been an interesting portrait. When I shoot I get maybe two to five images out of a 100 that are good. This image does nothing for me. C'est la vie.

Please post these images on the documentary & street photography forum. You will receive more feedback and better feedback than mine. I shoot primarily with my Panny LX3 that is my pocket cam. Just purchased a GF1. Also use an Oly EPL1 & EP2. MFT means less weight and a smaller rig to carry so I can capture moments like the woman lost in conversation.

I also go to youtube and look at street photo videos. Just discovered and then lost an interesting video. I am going to steal an idea I LOVED from that video. I shoot primarily B&W still images. This photographer introduced a series of images with a brief video that had audio. Wish I thought of that. Great idea.

Please keep shooting and sharing your work.

Marty
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner student & Street Photographer
--
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

renttoown's gear list:renttoown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robert van keulen
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?
In reply to renttoown, May 29, 2012

Hi Marty

thanks for all your compliments and advice. It sounds stupid but up till now that you told me i had not noticed the street forum;->

this weekend i took an other big personal step and did close up street portraits in Amsterdam for about 31/2 hours. I hoped to get permission to do a shot or ten .but actually got 120 shots and have already send images to 9 persons who loved the images i had taken of them.

so it was not only rewarding to take the nice pictures but also to have nice conversions with the people i took pictures off and send them the images as well. (for free )
robert.

renttoown wrote:

Dear Robert:

Nice photos & thank you for sharing them.

The photograph that jumps out at me is the 3rd image. The juxtaposition of the family & the advertisement is classic. Did you wait for the child to bend behind the mother's bag? As HCB would say, you caught the decisive moment. Good job.

Liked the 'lucky' shot. I am sure it was lucky because you didn't wait for it. Much of what is on the street is there briefly. You have to be there. You have to SEE it. You have to have your cam and be ready to push the shutter release. You were there, you saw it, had the came, and caught the image. Nice seeing and capture. Enjoyed the symmetry of the woman and her shadow. A lot of great street shots work with shadows. Good job.

The woman who was lost in conversation doesn't work for me. I might have taken this image too. I love taking street portraits. I liked the image of the male manneguin on her left shoulder but there was no juxtaposition. There was no relation between her and somebody else. Maybe if you went closer there might have been an interesting portrait. When I shoot I get maybe two to five images out of a 100 that are good. This image does nothing for me. C'est la vie.

Please post these images on the documentary & street photography forum. You will receive more feedback and better feedback than mine. I shoot primarily with my Panny LX3 that is my pocket cam. Just purchased a GF1. Also use an Oly EPL1 & EP2. MFT means less weight and a smaller rig to carry so I can capture moments like the woman lost in conversation.

I also go to youtube and look at street photo videos. Just discovered and then lost an interesting video. I am going to steal an idea I LOVED from that video. I shoot primarily B&W still images. This photographer introduced a series of images with a brief video that had audio. Wish I thought of that. Great idea.

Please keep shooting and sharing your work.

Marty
--

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,168
Like?
In reply to robert van keulen, May 29, 2012

The amount of noise and limited dynamic range look too high for my taste. Supposedly better noise and DR were the hallmarks of OMD. At least for me those were two major reasons I kept this camera on order, but now I'm not that sure. I hope though it's just the result of heavy PP.

robert van keulen wrote:

Hi,

I have just uploaded some street photography sample images taken with the Olympus OMD, a Leica M mount adapter from Novoflex and the Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 25mm F2.8 ZM. a very nice combination because of the EV and stabilized view. All images in RAW . edited with Lightroom 3 and then converted to Black and White with Silver Efex Pro 2.
Take a look at the images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/transcontinenta/tags/carlzeisszm25mmf28/

selfportrait

a lucky shot with this nice shadow

They are all eating Dutch "Stroopwafels" hot and filled with sirop.

She was so focused on here conversation on the phone that she did not even noticed me untill i took the picture at 1 meter distance;->

enjoy the images Robert.

renttoown
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, May 30, 2012

Dear Robert:

Hope you enjoy the street photography forum.

I have not typically asked for permission to photograph people. It defeats the purpose of obtaining candate images. Last year I asked the parents of some children if I could photograph their children while they took drinks from a fountain. They agreed and liked the images. The parents stated they didn't have any recent photos of their children so I sent them the photograpghs.

Friday I was at the library. There was a homeless woman sitting in front of the library when I left to take photos of the downtown area. She was still there when I came back. I asked her if I could photograph her and she said no. I talked to her about the book she was reading and then agaain asked for her permission to take her picture. She agreed. Establishing rapport can be important in getting to yes. In the United States it is not required to have permission to photograph people in public. If you are going to stick a camera in somebody's face, there is no subtle way to do it. I then ask for permission. Sometimes they say yes and sometimes I say no. Street portraits are different than street photography.

I'd love to see some of your 120 images either here or the street forum. Keep taking pictures.

Marty
--

renttoown's gear list:renttoown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads