D800 with Zeiss 25/2.8

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
xtranch
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
D800 with Zeiss 25/2.8
May 24, 2012

I have been learning the d800 for a week after a lifetime of canon. Plus a new type of lense for me, the Zeiss 25/2.8. quite a challenge for an old man. my only complaint is chromatic aberration, which can be removed in lr 4. the sample was shot on a tripod , self timer, focus in live view.

xtranch's gear list:xtranch's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with Zeiss 25/2.8
In reply to xtranch, May 24, 2012

welcome

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,555Gear list
Like?
In reply to commiebiker, May 24, 2012

Nice shot.

Have you compared your Zeiss to Nikon lenses that are similar?

I have been following threads about Zeiss lenses and I seem some shots that seem to benefit with the Zeiss and others Zeiss seem the same or worse than Nikon equivalents especially 14-24mm F2.8ED.

Greg.

xtranch
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, May 25, 2012

the only nikon lens I have is the 24af 2.8, an old model. It is inferior to the zeiss. I have an old 5d with the Canon 24 1.4, the llens is top notch but the files are not as good as the d800. The problem of switching is all those canon lenses I own. I have sold some, but will keep the 24. It is the best lens I have owned.I am getting the 50mm Ziess, taking a trip out west. Maybe I will post a comparison of the Zeiss/d8oo and Canon 5d/24l.

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to xtranch, May 25, 2012

...very painterly, the zf28/2 does this as well.

Popflash were selling their demo 25/2.8 for $400 (was maybe 5 or 6 of them) and I didn't grab one. I was waiting for the 2 (bangs head on wall). Zeiss were so odd about replacing this lens that they caused me to wait. They announced the 2 as a correction to the 2.8 but the 2.8 is as you have discovered a very nice scape lens and even for its faults at close focus I think it stunning and very unusual. Its been suggested that this is the cult lens and I think it shares this equally with the zf28.

Ant.
ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

kuzmacom2
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?

Is the shot in Hunting Valley?

Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

Very nice. I highly recommend the Zeiss 100 f2 + D800 as well.

xtranch
Like?
In reply to kuzmacom2, May 25, 2012

the shot of the footbridge is taken in one of my favorite locations, a local park that has a lot of traffic. the north side of the park has a creek and trail with no traffic. it is in the city of Crystal springs, ms and three miles from my house. I am getting familiar with this new equipment, then heading out for the Badlands, Idaho, and Wyoming. cant wait.

Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,294Gear list
Like?
The AF-S Nikkor 50/1.4G outperforms the Zeiss

in terms of resolving power and vignetting across the frame at every aperture. In fact, it's only comparative weakness is varying levels LoCA below f/2.8, but edge and border performance are so much better through f/4, that barely seems to matter with most subjects. Unless you plan to focus manually much of the time and shoot at f/4 or smaller apertures, the Nikon 50/1.4G is the way to go.

Then again, if you don't need wider than f/1.8 and don't plan to shoot smaller than f/4, the AF-S Nikkor 50/1.8G is better than both, and less expensive to boot.

xtranch wrote:

the only nikon lens I have is the 24af 2.8, an old model. It is inferior to the zeiss. I have an old 5d with the Canon 24 1.4, the llens is top notch but the files are not as good as the d800. The problem of switching is all those canon lenses I own. I have sold some, but will keep the 24. It is the best lens I have owned.I am getting the 50mm Ziess, taking a trip out west. Maybe I will post a comparison of the Zeiss/d8oo and Canon 5d/24l.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
steveperry
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?

hey, quick question -

Just got a Zeiss 25 (my 5th Zeiss) and I think I got a bad copy. My lower corners are mushy - just not sharp at all at any setting. How are your corners? Mushy? Sharp? The fact that the bottom seems softer than the top makes me think I need to send it back, but thought I'd check since I saw your thread here.

Thanks

Steve

Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
In reply to steveperry, May 25, 2012

steveperry wrote:

hey, quick question -

Just got a Zeiss 25 (my 5th Zeiss) and I think I got a bad copy. My lower corners are mushy - just not sharp at all at any setting. How are your corners? Mushy? Sharp? The fact that the bottom seems softer than the top makes me think I need to send it back, but thought I'd check since I saw your thread here.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I think from what I have read, the Zeiss 25/2.8 corners are indeed softer. You have have got an especially bad copy.

"The Zeiss Distagon T* 25mm f/2.8 ZF performed pretty good in our Nikon APS-C review but it didn't impress during our full format lab tests. The resolution capabilities are simply sub-standard for such an expensive prime lens (@ 800EUR/US$). The border quality is quite poor at large aperture settings. Same goes for the heavy vignetting here. The situation improves at medium apertures but the quality remains comparatively moderate. Lateral CAs are fairly low which helps a bit in terms of subjective quality perception. The amount of barrel distortion is about average for a prime lens in this class. "
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/585-zeisszf2528ff?start=2

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maji, May 25, 2012

I don't know what happened to the formatting, but I did not mean to cross out those lines above.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
xtranch
Like?
In reply to Maji, May 26, 2012

I have taken identical shots with the old 5d and Canon 24L 1.4 lens and the Nikon D800 with the Zeiss 25 2.8. both shot at f8 on tripod with self timer. I honestly dont think I could tell them apart without a label. the corners are pretty good with both. The main difference is that my Zeiss is prone to purple fringing, especially if there is bright light in the corners. I prefer shooting in lower light if I can, morning or evening. Lightroom 4 has a built in correction for this lens which removes ca. I have no idea how the Zeiss compares to the 12-24 or other nikon lenses since I dont own one. I have the Zeiss 50mm on the way and will report on it. Im planning on taking my circular polarizing filter on my trip west because I cant always be at a location under ideal light. I have made a print of the sample photo, 11x17 using Qimage and an epson 3800, the results are very good. I dont think I have any earth shaking improvements over the Canon with the d800 and Zeiss, just a little more flexibility with cropping etc. the nikon will be my mainstay though because the Canon is 6 years old and not up to date.

If I were starting from scratch the D800 plus zeiss= $4000 looks good compared to 3500 for the 5dIII plus 1800 for a top nikon lens. I am not a fan of any company, I just like to take shots and show my work. You can see my stuff at ar.art.com/galleries/xt. all the photos except the one here were shot with the Canon 5d or a sony 850. I do an art show about once a month to sell prints, but mostly to show my work and socialize. I am 70 and live alone on my cattle ranch, sometimes I want to see people, not cows. thanks for everyone for participating in this forum and being polite.

steveperry
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to steveperry, May 26, 2012

Yeah, I think I'm going to send it back, sounds like it should be performing better.

Thanks!

Steve

xtranch
Like?
In reply to steveperry, May 26, 2012

The problem could be the lens, or a combination of lens/camera issue. A couple of years ago when shooting with the sony 850 I was looking for a good landscape lens, there are not a lot of choices for that camera. after studying tests and user reviews I ordered a zeiss 24mm distagon from B&H, the reviews were top notch. I took the lens on a day long shoot and was appalled to see the large blurry areas in almost every frame. I tried microfocus adjustment to no avail. The shots taken with an inexpensive Sigma 20mm 1.4 were much better. I returned the lens without a problem. Even with the best rated lenses quality control can fail. The new Zeiss 25 I am using with the d800 does not have this problem. I do agree with other forums that you are better off shooting underexposed in bright light to avoid highlight clipping with the d800 and Zeiss and then correcting with software. its easy to bring out shadow with this camera, impossible to fix blown highlights.

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,597Gear list
Like?
In reply to xtranch, May 26, 2012

This doesn't look as sharp as it could be. Plus, landscapes posted this small will not draw the critical feed back people expect.

I would also opt for some diffraction (assuming the f5.6 aperture was intended to avoid) over oof corners which can't be improved.

xtranch wrote:

I have been learning the d800 for a week after a lifetime of canon. Plus a new type of lense for me, the Zeiss 25/2.8. quite a challenge for an old man. my only complaint is chromatic aberration, which can be removed in lr 4. the sample was shot on a tripod , self timer, focus in live view.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
wingnut1
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, May 26, 2012

I have to agree, the image doesn't look like the sharp, high res image it should be. Were you using Mirror Up and a cable release? I guess could also be just out of focus or not properly sharpened for image size.

wingnut1's gear list:wingnut1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 +1 more
marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,520Gear list
Like?
In reply to wingnut1, May 26, 2012

How people can possibly say whether the OP's photo is "sharp as it should be" or not at this size is beyond me.

At this size , lens sharpness cannot be evaluated. Period.

Any properly focused lens can be made to look as sharp as one wishes at this size , by the proper application of USM. Apply less USM and you get slightly softer results (which may or may not be pleasing, depending on subject matter).

We should just refrain from commenting on lens sharpness at this size .

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,597Gear list
Like?
In reply to marco1974, May 28, 2012

marco1974 wrote:

How people can possibly say whether the OP's photo is "sharp as it should be" or not at this size is beyond me.

You should seriously take up another hobby if you can't see the lack of sharpness and the insufficient D0F in the corners. I have no idea what is contributing to this as you do not but the OP needs to know this.

Plus, some reading comprehension lessons would benefit you as if you are the first in the thread to mention image size.

At this size , lens sharpness cannot be evaluated. Period.

Any properly focused lens can be made to look as sharp as one wishes at this size , by the proper application of USM. Apply less USM and you get slightly softer results (which may or may not be pleasing, depending on subject matter).

We should just refrain from commenting on lens sharpness at this size .

Marco

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
xtranch
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, May 28, 2012

I agree that this camera and lens combination is not as sharp as it could be. It is easy enough to sharpen up in lr, the corner are not perfect either, but not bad. Blown highlights are more of a problem for me. I have a couple of other lenses on the way, a Zeiss 50 mm and Nikon 85. After I try these out and look at shots taken with af I will know more. Since I am shooting on a tripod with the self timer, plus the mirror is up in live view that is not the issue. I also made this shot at f/8 which is my preferred setting for most landscapes. For me the advantage is the ability to have more flexibility with editing. If you would like to see some of my work look at ar.art.com/galleries/xt. Thanks for participating. this is a hobby for me and gives me something to do in my old age.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads