Full Technical Review--Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s on NEX-7

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
Full Technical Review--Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s on NEX-7
May 24, 2012

Been working on this baby for the past few weeks. I wanted to be as thorough as possible with my first lens test. For the perfectionists out there, no, this lens isn't perfect. However, for my intended usage (intimate portraits), it's a home run. Full review up and live, posted here: http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/lens-review-nikon-105mm-f1-8-ai-s/

Would love constructive criticism. Oh, and no, I can't test bokeh fringing. Being R/G colorblind, I simply don't see it.

Thanks guys. Will work on the 50mm f/1.8 E-series next (hopefully in a couple weeks at the most).

MWD

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
Like?
Re: Full Technical Review--Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s on NEX-7
In reply to El Matadurr, May 24, 2012

Forgot to mention I tried to also put in some actual "real-world" photographs to make it interesting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, May 24, 2012

I think you did an excellent job.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to eths, May 25, 2012

eths wrote:

+1!

Now, if it's not too much trouble, could you do this for all the other old Nikon manual-focus lenses, and all known E-mount lenses? Thanks!

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, May 25, 2012

Good work, Matt. It gives a really good sense of what it's like to work with the lens.

kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, May 25, 2012

great shots, and I enjoyed the review. The Nikon 105 1.8 seems to be a great lens, albeit a little large. I was looking for a tele legacy lens a while back, and what I wanted most was the Olympus OM 85mm f2: small, lightweight, 49mm filter. however it costed over $300 wherever I could find it. I ended up with the Canon nFD 85mm f1.8, which was a little heavier but still fits the NEX-7 ergonomically well. Have you tried/tested out any other tele lenses in the range of 85/100/105/135?
--
http://kev777zero.artistswanted.org/
http://www.wix.com/drkevinlyu/photography

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, May 25, 2012

Jefenator wrote:

eths wrote:

+1!

Now, if it's not too much trouble, could you do this for all the other old Nikon manual-focus lenses, and all known E-mount lenses? Thanks!

Thanks Jeff, and yes, I will test as many as I can. I currently have the 50mm f/1.8 E-series, the 50mm f/2 AI, 180mm f/2.8 AI-s ED, and 300mm f/2.8 AI-s ED in addition to the 105mm. I will probably acquire a 50mm f/1.2 over the summer, so I may put the two 50's on hold to do a 50mm shootout, rather than do an individual review for each (because we all know how good any and all Nikon fast 50s are). My next lens, which I will focus on over the coming two weeks, will be the 180mm f/2.8. I'll post here as well as the blog with progress, so stay tuned.

Now for the e-mounts......yeah...I'm not interested in any except for the rumored 16-50 3.5-5.6 G lens, as well as the inevitable 35mm f/1.8. Now, if anyone here is willing to send me a copy to test, I'd be happy to, as I have never used an autofocus lens on this camera! PM me if you're interested.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to eths, May 25, 2012

eths wrote:

thank you eths, wish I could test your 85 1.4 and 135 f/2.

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, May 25, 2012

Thanks Flint, more to come, as always.

flint-hill wrote:

Good work, Matt. It gives a really good sense of what it's like to work with the lens.

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, May 25, 2012

Thanks Kevin, glad you enjoyed it (hoping it wasn't too "dry" haha). though it all comes down to taste, as I mentioned in the review, the 105 1.8 feels just about right in my hands. Though you can see from the picture just how big my hands are.

I would love to try and test out other legacy tele lenses, such as an 85mm f/1.4, and a 135mm f/2, but I don't know how I can get those beside buying them, and I don't have a need personally for those lenses. that said, if you have or know of anyone who has some of these lenses and would like to send me a couple to test, contact me via PM.

kev777zero wrote:

great shots, and I enjoyed the review. The Nikon 105 1.8 seems to be a great lens, albeit a little large. I was looking for a tele legacy lens a while back, and what I wanted most was the Olympus OM 85mm f2: small, lightweight, 49mm filter. however it costed over $300 wherever I could find it. I ended up with the Canon nFD 85mm f1.8, which was a little heavier but still fits the NEX-7 ergonomically well. Have you tried/tested out any other tele lenses in the range of 85/100/105/135?
--
http://kev777zero.artistswanted.org/
http://www.wix.com/drkevinlyu/photography

jazz6268
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

Thanks for doing a great review, I am owner of many Nikon MF prime lens also, I am looking forward to more reviews from you.

I do have a question on Nikon lens, as all my Nikon lens are Ai or Ai-s, will non-AI work on NEX camera ? As they are usually less expensive.

jazz6268's gear list:jazz6268's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-6
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to jazz6268, May 25, 2012

jazz6268 wrote:

I do have a question on Nikon lens, as all my Nikon lens are Ai or Ai-s, will non-AI work on NEX camera ? As they are usually less expensive.

Pre-AI should work. My 50 1.4 is of that age and it mounts on the adapter and I can turn the aperture ring.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
El Matadurr
Like?

jazz6268 wrote:

Thanks for doing a great review, I am owner of many Nikon MF prime lens also, I am looking forward to more reviews from you.

Thanks Jazz, there'll be two more for sure from the 180mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8, still undecided about how to handle the 50s.

Are you talking of the older Nikkor-S Auto lenses ( http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f14-s.htm ), if so, since they are F mount, they'll work (though not sure how well with some of the very old optical designs).

jazz6268
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

Thanks, that will open up a lot for Nikon MF lens if non AI can be used , just like the one from the Rockwell link. I have an Nikon 50mm F1.4 Ai also , but it is stuck at 1.4 wide open all the time, I am not sure how much it will cost to have it fixed. Any idea ? ? It might cheaper by replacing it. I might get a 1.2 instead.

jazz6268's gear list:jazz6268's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-6
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?

Nice work mate. Man that thing is darn nice at F/4 !!. At F/2.8 its very usable Matt. What I love is.... The "Feel". Thats a huge part of it.

All the best Matt and a good read with good work done.

Danny.
Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3

http://www.birdsinaction.com

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

eths
Like?

Unfortunately there is this huge puddle between us, otherwise...

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
eths
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, May 25, 2012

The fast AIS Nikon Nikkor lenses (e.g. 50/1.2, 85/1.4, 135/2 etc.) are somewhat hunky and chunky, but they are worth it.

They do make for a heavy backpack however...

eths
Like?

As long as they are F-Mount lenses, and the F-Mount has been around for a long time now, I can not see why not.

scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?

Very nice. Good format. Straightforward and concise.

When you do the fifties don't forget the popular and versatile and cheap 55/3.5 or 55/2.8.

Thanks.

jemez
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?

Nice review! I'd love to see a side by side comparison of this one and the 75-150/3.5 E. Out of curiosity, how have you set up your MF and MF assist settings? I spent a bit of time playing with the 75-150 (probably my all time favorite lens), and was struggling a bit with the focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads