Why invest in Sony E-mount NEX not MFT and not Canon mirrorless

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Why invest in Sony E-mount NEX not MFT and not Canon mirrorless
May 24, 2012

really if I have to invest $1000 into lens and buy into a system, it won't be MFT

Even if today OMD sensor equal APS-C, it won't be tomorrow

There is always a 40% smaller size penalty (which will affect all aspect of IQ and DOF) and from what I see about the same camera body size and not much smaller lens size

Actually even today I am not sure if OMD really equal APS-C in dynamic range and color depth (it match APS-C in high ISO) I am still waiting for DXO sensor score of OMD E-M5

My opinion is that the best bet is in Sony E-mount. Not only it is APS-C but it will be compatible with future Sony APS-C sensor. Sony sensor is the key here

So many people are waiting for Canon mirrorless. I don't know why. Look at the recent D800 vs 5D mark III, simply put Mark III suck. Dpreview really make a mistake this time given them both 82% and gold award

Mark III is not even close to D800 Sony sensor. If you don't believe read here

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

you will be shock at the difference. I am not a Nikon fanboy as I don't own any Nikon

If Canon can't even give their $3500 top of the line full frame camera a good sensor, you guys are waiting for their APS-C mirrorless?

The best sensor in the camera industry is clearly from Sony. This is why the only mirrorless lens system worth investing in is NEX E-mount

I am not against MFT at all. If fact the $400 E-PM1 or $300 E-PL1 is too good a deal to pass up as a second camera. But to invest in it, no way

not for my money. I know I will be accused of being a Sony Fanboy. I am not and I have think about this long and hard and have sound reasons to back up my view

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Why invest in Sony E-mount NEX not MFT and not Canon mirrorless
In reply to Jefftan, May 24, 2012

Haha yeah, how dare DPR give a good review to a camera they like. Please look away...I don't want anyone to see me shaking with outrage!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Catalin Stavaru
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

I am 99.99% sure that Olympus OM-D uses a Sony sensor. And it doesn't quite match the NEX-5n at high-ISO, at least in the dpreview JPEGS.

S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?

I don't understand all the hubbub about e-mount lenses. Most other lens-types have been around for decades. They had the time to build and rebuild and of those just a few are still really really good. E-mount has been here for a couple of years at the most. I'm sure with time the market will be enough saturated so everyone can get what they want. Until then buy some adapter, use other types of lenses, learn how to manual focus and stop whining about this.

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Hilarious post!

First it mentions that the 4/3rds sensor is smaller than APS, and claims that bigger is better. Then it say, NO, actually even bigger sensors like FF suck despite being much larger than APS!

Here is the reality. Canon sells more ILCs than Sony can dream of. They now have chosen to make the 4:3 size sensor a standard for the mirrorless industry because the IQ is great and the lens are much smaller and lighter than APS lenses could ever be. Sigma and Tamron will jump on this. They can now make one small size for 3 big camera makers.

So, if you want a larger sensor go with a FF camera. If you want great IQ, but small, light and portable, go for one of the 4:3 sensor mirorless cameras.

Catalin Stavaru
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
Re: Hilarious post!
In reply to Everdog, May 24, 2012

I hope you are not mistaking FourThirds sensors with microFourThirds. Canon chose a different, larger size than Panasonic and Olympus. The same size as the one used in the Canon G1X and only a bit smaller than APS-C. I really doubt the lenses will be much smaller. The first Canon mirrorless camera will be a camera very similar to G1X with a custom mount adapter and some new lenses at launch.

Everdog wrote:

They now have chosen to make the 4:3 size sensor a standard for the mirrorless industry because the IQ is great and the lens are much smaller and lighter than APS lenses could ever be. Sigma and Tamron will jump on this. They can now make one small size for 3 big camera makers.

So, if you want a larger sensor go with a FF camera. If you want great IQ, but small, light and portable, go for one of the 4:3 sensor mirorless cameras.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
this sensor?

is this the sensor Canons going to use in their new mirrorless?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: blah blah blah

Pixel peepers AND professional photogs should always spend thousands more as this could make a meaningful difference to them.

Though I think Ansel Adams, Henri Cartier-Bresson and many others would do just fine with a Nex camera (or a vintage 2001 Coolpix for that matter). Give Picasso my kindergarteners waterpaints and he'll still 'paint a Picasso', but give my 6 yr old Picasso's brushes and you'll get....

Been here for ten years and somethings never change.

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
your post is the hilarious post!

Everdog wrote:

First it mentions that the 4/3rds sensor is smaller than APS, and claims that bigger is better. Then it say, NO, actually even bigger sensors like FF suck despite being much larger than APS!

No that is not what he said. He tell that the OM-d Has a sensor as good as the Sony sensor, but still thinks there is a penalty for the smaller size (he is waiting for an other siite to do some tests.

Here is the reality. Canon sells more ILCs than Sony can dream of.

Well counting the DSLRs you are right mirrorless ILC they have sold none...

They now have chosen to make the 4:3 size sensor

No they have not! (as far as rumor sites tell) they have chosen for an 4:3 aspeect ratio sensor, but one that is bigger then the m43 sensor.

a standard for the mirrorless industry because the IQ is great and the lens are much smaller and lighter than APS lenses could ever be.

What make you think that m43 is a stanndard, there arte more APS sized sensor mirrorless offerings (Sony, Samsung, Fuji, and Pentax) then there are m43 offerings (only Olympus and Panasonic) Then there are the other type of sensors in some other cameras: Leica (With APS-H and FF sensor), Nikon (with CX sensr) and Pentax (with 1/2.3") sensor. There are even more cameras with an orther type of chip then there are with m43 chip size, wow what a "standard" that is!

Sigma and Tamron will jump on this. They can now make one small size for 3 big camera makers.

Will this be right as canon, accordig to canonwatch, will go with their own type of sensor and mount? This is maybbe in your dreams, but when you wake up the reality looks a lot different.

The aspect ratio does nothing with the size of the lens. Look at Sigma, the build lenses for the m43 and for the Sony APS sized cameras, both are aboutthe same size... So Sigma is able to make small lenses for both m43 and APS, they will bring a Canon mount on that lens too I think.

So please think befor you start to write.

BTW I think that IQ wise both m43 and APS sensors are in the same league when comparing real life pictures, the Canon (as the rumors are true) will fit in there too, the question is: are they in time?

gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
Re: blah blah blah
In reply to Ezra R, May 24, 2012

I do agree with you, it is the person behind the camera that takes the picture, not the camera...

It is fun to hear an other sound every now and then.

Everdog
Like?
Re: Hilarious post!
In reply to Catalin Stavaru, May 24, 2012

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

The same size as the one used in the Canon G1X and only a bit smaller than APS-C.

Sorry, but is very close to the M43 size.

Canon's press release said it would be stupid to make a mirrorless camera with a large 3:2 sized sensor because the lenses would be ginourmous, and Sony has confirmed that with their large/slower aperture offerings.

As you can see, Sigma and Tamron can now make much smaller/lighter lenses for that smaller image circle for 3 camera makers.

Jefftan
Like?

I just found out that the latest rumor suggest Canon mirrorless would only got their GX1 smaller than APS-C sensor

nothing to look forward.

Jefftan wrote:

So many people are waiting for Canon mirrorless. I don't know why. Look at the recent D800 vs 5D mark III, simply put Mark III suck. Dpreview really make a mistake this time given them both 82% and gold award

Mark III is not even close to D800 Sony sensor. If you don't believe read here

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

you will be shock at the difference. I am not a Nikon fanboy as I don't own any Nikon

If Canon can't even give their $3500 top of the line full frame camera a good sensor, you guys are waiting for their APS-C mirrorless?

Jefftan
Like?
Re: this sensor?
In reply to edwardaneal, May 24, 2012

edwardaneal good post

anyone still believe in Canon sensor is a fool seeing that now even their $3500 5D mark III suck

edwardaneal wrote:

is this the sensor Canons going to use in their new mirrorless?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

Jefftan
Like?
What I really want to say in this post is that

If I have to seriously invest in a system. I will bet on Sony E-mount for 2 reasons

1. APS-C size as a standard for the majority of camera with the largest sales (both DSLR and mirrorless). All the economy of scale and latest technological advance will be in this sensor size

2. Specifically Sony E-mount because of the demonstrated superiority of Sony sensor (just look at D800, D5100, K5, NEX-5N... too many to list)

to invest in an expensive lens for the future, you got to bet on the most popular sensor size and the best sensor manufacturer

For example Samsung NX only fit one of the above two. It is APS-C but who have faith in Samsung sensor capability

I am not talking about now. Suppose a lens last 10 years. In 10 years time I am 100% sure APS-C would still be around but no reasonable person can say the same thing for MFT

It is still a very new format and the total number of MFT camera compare with APS-C (both DSLR and mirrorless) is small. Really hard to say whether they would still be around in 10 years

a $400 E-PM1 is OK but no serious investment in my opinion

Everdog
Like?
oops...

Jefftan wrote:

to invest in an expensive lens for the future, you got to bet on the most popular sensor size...

Oops. The most popular mirrorless sensor size is not APS. The new standard is a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor. No one is going to want to make/sell DSLR sized mirrorless lenses when they can make smaller, lighter lenses for 3 camera corporations.

You also don't invest in camera bodies (who is still using one from 5 years ago??). You invest in lenses. M43 has the best lenses by far and it is not even close. When Sigma switches to the smaller size to please Canon, Sony will be in big trouble.

Everdog
Like?
You don't get it.
In reply to gfrensen, May 24, 2012

gfrensen wrote:

No they have not! (as far as rumor sites tell) they have chosen for an 4:3 aspect ratio sensor, but one that is bigger then the m43 sensor.

Not all APS sensors are the same size are they. They are similar though. Not all 4:3 sensors are the same size. They are similar though.

You can make much smaller/lighter/portable lenses for the two 4:3 formats. I'll put my money on Canon's marketing machine and you put your money on Pentax (who can't make up their minds on the size of a mirrorless camera).

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
loser

you are pathetic - you are so unsure of your decisions that you have to hang out here and troll

pathetic loser

Everdog wrote:

I'll put my money on Canon's marketing machine and you put your money on Pentax (who can't make up their minds on the size of a mirrorless camera).

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Jefftan
Like?
Re: oops...

I am saying the most used sensor size in all cameras including DSLR not just mirrorless.

That is what will guarantee it would still be around in the future and have all the economy of scale and the most advance technology

Whether E-mount have good lens now or not (the reverse is whether MFT have good lens now or not ) is irrelevant. I am talking about the sensor size and also the sensor manufacturer that one can comfortably invested in for the future

I have said it so clear yet many still don't understand what I said

Everdog wrote:

Oops. The most popular mirrorless sensor size is not APS. The new standard is a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor. No one is going to want to make/sell DSLR sized mirrorless lenses when they can make smaller, lighter lenses for 3 camera corporations.

You also don't invest in camera bodies (who is still using one from 5 years ago??). You invest in lenses. M43 has the best lenses by far and it is not even close. When Sigma switches to the smaller size to please Canon, Sony will be in big trouble.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
Re: oops...

Everdog wrote:

You also don't invest in camera bodies (who is still using one from 5 years ago??).

In mirrorless, not too many, of course, but the Nikon D3 is five years old, and I'd hazard that pretty much all of them are still in use.

I'm actually looking to pick up a D200, which is even older, to use some older Nikon lenses (that don't work on my wife's D5100).

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Jefftan
Like?
Re: You don't get it.

You really so believe in Canon. Not only their sensor make ability is suspected but their focus is always in DSLR. Mirrorless will not be high up on their agenda. Like Nikon 1 which is basically just a Coolpix

The most profitable part for them is DSLR lens, mirrorless they are just being forced to do by the market and surely they are not keen

This is the same as Nikon. They could abandon it any time. Who would believe Nikon 1 system would still be there in 5 years? Not me the same for Canon.

APS-C size sensor and Sony manufactured sensor would always be there

Not at all sure about any other format

Everdog wrote:

I'll put my money on Canon's marketing machine and you put your money on Pentax (who can't make up their minds on the size of a mirrorless camera).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads