HS30 - More critter shots

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
HS30 - More critter shots
May 24, 2012

This was posted not to showcase composition and colors but rather details and noise-handling in fur at various ISO.

Pictures in the next posts.

Thanks,

Joms

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
jcmarfilph
Like?
Re: HS30 - More critter shots
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 24, 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Like?

-=[ Joms ]=-

s_pokkrong
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?

Wow..You make it shine at ISO 1600, it's a real deal.

Pokkrong

jcmarfilph wrote:

s_pokkrong's gear list:s_pokkrong's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot G12 +24 more
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to s_pokkrong, May 24, 2012

s_pokkrong wrote:
Wow..You make it shine at ISO 1600, it's a real deal.

Pokkrong

jcmarfilph wrote:

pr: galleries/7821552098/photos/1981787/dscf-89r

Yep I think it is. A little clean-up, it will look even better.

HS30 can definitely produce decent high-ISO shots.

-=[ Joms ]=-

NOEL 100
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: HS30 - Better than Bees

It's certainly better than shooting bees.

A DSLR it aint but the 30 doesn't disgrace itself.

I think once you become one (grass hopper) with your HSXX the results can be surprising. I hope my path also ends in enlightenment.

Seriously, although the 30 can turn around and bite you with crappy shots it can also produce some IMO pretty impressive results. I like this series it would have been fun doing it. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

NOEL 100's gear list:NOEL 100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
jcmarfilph
Like?
Re: HS30 - Better than Bees
In reply to NOEL 100, May 24, 2012

NOEL 100 wrote:

It's certainly better than shooting bees.

A DSLR it aint but the 30 doesn't disgrace itself.

It's the least disgraceful among bridge cams and toyzooms I have handled so far.

I think once you become one (grass hopper) with your HSXX the results can be surprising. I hope my path also ends in enlightenment.

Just keep on shooting. HSXX is a serious camera, not a toy.

Seriously, although the 30 can turn around and bite you with crappy shots it can also produce some IMO pretty impressive results. I like this series it would have been fun doing it. Thanks

Any camera can produce crappy shots even DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

-=[ Joms ]=-

Fulcanelli
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?

I bought a HS30 a few weeks back, to relieve my shoulder of the weight of my DSLR and lenses (actually two cameras) and I have really been enjoying this camera a great deal. I hope the discussion of this camera continues to increase here at DPReview, as I understand some were dissatisfied with the HS20 and were leery of jumping in on the next model. I had a HS10 that was wonderful, too, but then encountered problems that were never resolved. I'm surprised I went for another Fuji but I'm really liking camera a great deal.

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Fulcanelli, May 24, 2012

Fulcanelli wrote:

I bought a HS30 a few weeks back, to relieve my shoulder of the weight of my DSLR and lenses (actually two cameras) and I have really been enjoying this camera a great deal. I hope the discussion of this camera continues to increase here at DPReview, as I understand some were dissatisfied with the HS20 and were leery of jumping in on the next model. I had a HS10 that was wonderful, too, but then encountered problems that were never resolved. I'm surprised I went for another Fuji but I'm really liking camera a great deal.

Glad that you've made the right decision. IMHO, HS30 has addressed all shortcomings of the HS10 and most of the HS20.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Silent Oracle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913
Like?

Joms, it's good to see you enjoying your new camera and I hope that it continues to give you pleasure. I also hope that you'll continue to share informaiton and your experience with the HS30; other than yourself and a couple more posters here, it's a graveyard where HS30 disucssion is concerned.

I have decided not to purchase this time around; frankly - I had expected much more from this camera and on that note, I don't want to get into it with you. We all have different shooting preferences, we all have different expectations; it's that simple. If we enjoy a camera - that's what we should concentrate on.

On a more positive note, I like this photo the best from your series:

Larry Winters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?
In reply to Fulcanelli, May 24, 2012

Fulcanelli wrote:

After being severely disappointed with the HS10 I was surprised I tried another HSxx series at all. But the HS30 is in an entirely different league over what the HS10 provided. I didn't try a HS20 at all. Once a person understands these EXR sensor cams are not resolution kings and should not be viewed at 100%, then one can more appreciate what they really provide. Took me quite awhile to get over that hurdle, especially being a s100fs owner. Overall, I'm a very happy HS30 owner. I'm also looking forward to what the XS-2 might bring.

lw

Gary Leland
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?

Hey Joms,

I'm with SO as well. I really liked your final squirrel shot. It's so in the moment. How about giving this one a little post processing and re-post it. It's worthy of some polish and I would like to see your treatment of it.
Thanks for posting.
P.S. If you don't have the time I understand,
Regards,
Gary
--
Gary Leland

Gary Leland's gear list:Gary Leland's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,672Gear list
Like?
In reply to Larry Winters, May 24, 2012

Larry Winters wrote:

Fulcanelli wrote:

After being severely disappointed with the HS10 I was surprised I tried another HSxx series at all. But the HS30 is in an entirely different league over what the HS10 provided. I didn't try a HS20 at all. Once a person understands these EXR sensor cams are not resolution kings and should not be viewed at 100%, then one can more appreciate what they really provide. Took me quite awhile to get over that hurdle, especially being a s100fs owner. Overall, I'm a very happy HS30 owner. I'm also looking forward to what the XS-2 might bring.

lw

Good to hear Larry. You might just find that once you are really used to the camera, just how good an image you will get from it. I print A4 from the HS20 with no problems and the '30 looks to better better IQ wise so you might not need to pick up the bigger cameras so often.
--
Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,672Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, May 24, 2012

Joms, nice series mate. At 1600 ISO and it what looks to be reasonably poor light at times the HS30 seems to acquit itself very nicely.
BTW, thanks for the downsize on the image, makes viewing hugely quicker
--
Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
mark625
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?

thanks for sharing these!
i enjoyed looking at them. i think i'm getting one HS30 after all.

mark625's gear list:mark625's gear list
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Canon EOS 600D
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to mark625, May 24, 2012

mark625 wrote:

thanks for sharing these!
i enjoyed looking at them. i think i'm getting one HS30 after all.

You will never regret it, trust me!

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, May 24, 2012

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Joms, nice series mate. At 1600 ISO and it what looks to be reasonably poor light at times the HS30 seems to acquit itself very nicely.
BTW, thanks for the downsize on the image, makes viewing hugely quicker
--
Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

You are welcome Ralph. I was impressed when I posted ISO-1600 before using SX40 now I am more impressed with the HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Silent Oracle, May 24, 2012

Silent Oracle wrote:

Joms, it's good to see you enjoying your new camera and I hope that it continues to give you pleasure. I also hope that you'll continue to share informaiton and your experience with the HS30; other than yourself and a couple more posters here, it's a graveyard where HS30 disucssion is concerned.

Yes of course. I was really frustrated with the slowness of HS10 and much frustrated with the SX40. Now it is gone using HS30.

I have decided not to purchase this time around; frankly - I had expected much more from this camera and on that note, I don't want to get into it with you.

I will respect that. I am not here to force everyone to purchase HS30.

We all have different shooting preferences, we all have different expectations; it's that simple. If we enjoy a camera - that's what we should concentrate on.

Indeed.

On a more positive note, I like this photo the best from your series:

http://g3.img-dpreview.com/9937203ABA244CDD96B14771B8610D69.jpg

Thanks. That was a mere snapshot with no composition as I have stated in my first post. Glad that you liked it. My fave would be the rabbit coz it's the first time I have seen them in the wild.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Larry Winters, May 24, 2012

Larry Winters wrote:

Fulcanelli wrote:

lw

Glad to hear that you are a happy HS30 owner Larry. X-S2 might the real deal we have been waiting for. Fuji need to be very careful this time.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Simon76
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 25, 2012

Hi Joms, thanks for sharing some more of your snaps. Sadly the HS30 just doesn't tick all the right boxes for me when compared to its competitors, although I'm glad you're enjoying it. After all that's what photography is all about.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads