Powershot S80 replacement

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
Martin Purcell
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Powershot S80 replacement
May 24, 2012

Any advice on a replacement for a Powershot S80? This camera has been a very good performer, but it's getting a bit old. The main sticking point is that I need a viewfinder.

Nikon Coolpix S80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hifly
Contributing MemberPosts: 665
Like?
Re: Powershot S80 replacement
In reply to Martin Purcell, May 24, 2012

If you didn't need a viewfinder then the S95/S100 would be the logical progression.
Do you really need a viewfinder?
If so you may like the G12, even if it is a bit bulkier than the S80.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769Gear list
Like?

My advice would be to forget the viewfinder. If you can't than you can't replace the s80 with a similar model ...gotta go bigger and more expensive (ie: G12)

You don't need a viewfinder, you want a viewfinder... ...sorry, had to.

Martin Purcell wrote:

Any advice on a replacement for a Powershot S80? This camera has been a very good performer, but it's getting a bit old. The main sticking point is that I need a viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,872Gear list
Like?

I can sympathize. I had the S50, S70, and S80, and they were great cameras. Viewfinders on small cameras have given way to make room for larger LCD screens.

The Canon G series and the Nikon P7100 still have viewfinders; but they are larger

and heavier However, they do have a longer focal length and do much better in low light than the S80.

Another possibility is a device called a "Clear Viewer". It attaches to the camera's tripod mount and flods fairly flat against the body. In use it folds out and provides an eyepiece to view the LCD screen. Fitted to an S95, the combination would be no thicker and no heavier than your S80; although a bit slower to get into action as you'd have to fold the eyepiece out from the body. Collapsed, it ads about 1/4" to the thickness.

I use the earlier S90; and for the S90 or 95, I'd strongly recommend adding a Franiec front grip, as the body is small and slick and offers little to hold onto. The Franiec grip is available from LensMate and transforms the camera's feel. The S90/95 has a 28-105 mm focal length at f/2-f/4.9; so you gain a full stop at the wide end, and don't lose any speed at the tele end, as compared to the S90. And you also get image stabilization.

I notice you said you "need" an eyelevel finder, as opposed to "want". Is that because of health reasons? My wife's hands shake (we're in our 70's) and she really does need an optical finder and IS. I bought her an A710IS a few years back and she does well with that.

A thought: How important is the 28 mm wide angle to you? Also, are you averse to buying used? A few years back, Canon made the SD950IS, and the SD990IS. Both cover 36 yo 133 mm, have an optical finder, and a larger sensor like your S80. (the SD950IS uses the same sensor as the G9, and the SD990IS uses the sensor from the G10) Image quality is excellent and the bodies are metal. They are not common models; but very good ones show up from time to time at KEH.com, B&H, and Adorama. I don't trust ebay listings; but I have bought used from those three sites, and have had good luck with all three.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
DmikeB
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, May 24, 2012

I also had a S80 but then moved to a S90 (slightly better focusing, lens stabilization and second rotary control round the lens). I must admit to not having missed the viewfinder but if it is important then the newer cameras in the S series are out. Many people like the G series which has the same sensors as the S series. Although, Canon recently brought out a large sensor G series camera, the G1X. Some people love it, others hate it since it has slow focusing and cannot focus very near but has very good low light performance and image quality.

As the viewfinder is important to you then you might try looking at the Fuji X10. It has a much better finder than the Canons and a slightly larger sensor than the S series. People really like its manual zoom and its colour rendition.The Fuji has a issue with bright point lights producing orbs although it sounds like this is less in X10 recently.

This may also be of use: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4333175133/buyers-guide-enthusiast-raw-shooting-compact-cameras

DmikeB's gear list:DmikeB's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
plantdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,887
Like?
In reply to DmikeB, May 24, 2012

I can understand the need (want) for a viewfinder for a primary camera. I am aging "boomer" with vision issues and I don't really enjoy an LCD only camera except for a pocket size, occasional pic cam. The viewfinder on G11 is not very good, doesn't even have a center mark because it's frequently off center (not parallax either). Although this is a Canon posting area, I would look at moderately compact cameras with EVF, such as the top Nikon 1 or some micro 4/3 models. I don't know the specifics, but I would read reviews, etc if I was looking for another non- SLR or micro camera. Just my .02

Greg

PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,409
Like?

Martin Purcell wrote:

Olympus xz-1 - f1.8 lens, f2.5 on the long end (which is kind of amazing), the lens has a very good reputation for being sharp. Add-on electronic viewfinder though.

Fuji x10 - f1.8 lens, f2.8 on the long end, similar specs but heavier, more expensive, some sort of white blob issues, but has a mediocre optical viewfinder built in (no compact with a zoom lens has better than a mediocre optical viewfinder).

Canon g12 - f2.8-f5...not sure. Mediocre optical viewfinder. Has fold-out screen.

Panasonic lx5 - f2.0-f3.3 lens (I think). Add-on electronic viewfinder.

Fuji x10 - f2.0 lens - but it doesn't zoom at all. Built-in viewfinder. Dslr-sized sensor. $1,200 the last time I checked.

Nikon p7100 - like the g12, longer zoom range, mediocre optical viewfinder, no fold-out screen.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,024Gear list
Like?

Martin Purcell wrote:

G12, Nikon P7100 or Fujifilm x10 are just about the only options now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads