D600 @ < $2000 according to Nikon rumours.

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
D600 @ < $2000 according to Nikon rumours.
May 24, 2012

In fact they say $1,600.

More usefully for me, it will have an AF screw, which means I should be able to ebay all my Nikon primes for good money.

Why mention it here? I like MFT for the size. I think the OM-D is well up to FF standards on a pixel by pixel basis, but I envy the D800 owners their 36MP. A 16-24MP FF is of no interest to me at all. Many people here however seem to see the virtue of MFT as price, and would prefer FF, especially for DoF and high ISO. This sounds like good news for them, if true. You should be able to pick up a D600 and a handful of primes off ebay for the cost of an OM-D and the 12, 25, 45 and 75 combo.

So if you want FF but were put off by the price, I'd hang on a bit.

Me, I'm delighted with the OM-D and everything I have FF will be going as soon as I can get my lazy head around selling on ebay.

As for the D600 itself - despite DPR's bizarre review the D800 eats the 5DIII's lunch. Based on rumoured spec, the D600 should match the 5DIII feature for feature for much less money, with a far better sensor. Nikon seem to be gunning for Canon at the moment, and they are winning.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?
Re: D600 @ < $2000 according to Nikon rumours.
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 24, 2012

The AF motor will be the clincher for me, sounds like I'll be back with an FF body sooner than expected. Will most likely keep m4/3 for portability though, and use the D600 for my home stuff.

Thanks Louis for those promising news !

Marla.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 vs 5DIII - most unusual

That was an odd one. DPR have always had an unabashed bias towards IQ and I would have expected that to give the D800 an overall greater score. That said, DPR pays relatively scant attention to DR, at least insofar as some users might want to creatively make use of it.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

As for the D600 itself - despite DPR's bizarre review the D800 eats the 5DIII's lunch. Based on rumoured spec, the D600 should match the 5DIII feature for feature for much less money, with a far better sensor. Nikon seem to be gunning for Canon at the moment, and they are winning.
--

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 24, 2012

It's another clunky Canon wedding camera, except this time with AF that works (for which you pay a lot extra). You can stand in a church of a Saturday and be sure that however dim the light it won't let you down. Great.

For everyone else it is a very average camera with lousy DR, and it weighs a ton. The only possible virtue is paper thin DoF, and if you want that then the D800 is cheaper, offers the same DoF, very nearly the same high ISO, and is larded with lashings of DR and amazing resolution.

No contest, in my view.

And the D600 will match it for res, speed up to the same 6fps, and be even cheaper than the D800.

I wouldn't for a moment suspect DPR of a deliberate bias, but I have no doubt they knew that if they wrote "Forget this decrepit old clunker, go buy a D800", which is what I would have written, the roof would fall in.

The D600 review should be funny to read. I have some difficulty seeing how they are going to cope with it not being as good as the D800 but way better than the 5DIII and give it a score that make sense compared to both

tinternaut wrote:

That was an odd one. DPR have always had an unabashed bias towards IQ and I would have expected that to give the D800 an overall greater score. That said, DPR pays relatively scant attention to DR, at least insofar as some users might want to creatively make use of it.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

--

-- hide signature --
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
The death of APS-C

If Nikon releases the D600 for 1,600 $, I strongly believe it will be the beginning of the death of APS-C format as we know it. Maybe it will continue to be used in mirrorless cameras, but for standard mirror DSLRs, does not make sense anymore. That's me, the market might actually respond differently.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?
Re: The death of APS-C
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 24, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

If Nikon releases the D600 for 1,600 $, I strongly believe it will be the beginning of the death of APS-C format as we know it. Maybe it will continue to be used in mirrorless cameras, but for standard mirror DSLRs, does not make sense anymore. That's me, the market might actually respond differently.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

I think you may be correct. I'm now glad that with my old Canon APS-C that the lenses I bought were EF rather than EFS. I thought someday this might happen...Canon will now have to become competitive. Competition is good, and it's good that Nikon didn't change their auto focus method, like on their lower end APS-C cameras. There is increasingly little difference between mirrorless and APS-C...especially if the rumours are correct about the new Canon. There is still M43, Sony Nex, etc. which are smaller cameras than APS-C and with increasing lens choice. The difference in the smaller formats and 135 is more pronounced...especially for critical work (although the smaller formats are still capable of that) So I think APS-C will feel the squeeze.
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?

Maybe they'll just forget to give it a rating
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?

The thinking is that the Nikon D300s will not be replaced by another pro APSc body. The D600 would take its place (in terms of pricing).

Since the D300 was released, they have the very well sepcd D7000 and the D800. So, a pro APSc body in the $1600 range does not make as much sense as before. Nikon has also developed a slew of excellent 1.8 primes to prep for this transition.

Martin Ocando wrote:

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lights, May 24, 2012

I think APS-C will remain and the probably the D7K like cameras will be the top of that line. Nikon seems committed to the 2.5 sensor and the D3200 shows that the APS-C format still has room for pixel growth.

The screw drive is a game changer if the price is in that 1600 range. A perfect landscape camera to mix with the wildlife D7K for us non pros.
--
Regards,
Jeff
http://home.comcast.net/~gailjeff/GS/

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Just when I decided to give up DSLR...

...sell all my DSLR gear and go completely M4/3 Nikon decides to get competitive.

SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,951Gear list
Like?
I agree with ever word you said Louis

but a step beyond that, Nikon has kicked Canon's a$$ ever since the D200 so they are just continuing a tradition. I also agree with your sentiments on the OMD. I FINALLY took the initiative to sell off my entire Nikkor collection with the D7000 as well as my entire NEX system for a OMD. Funded only with that I elected to get what was important to me, which was the grip, FL600R flash, kit 12-50 lens adding a 45mm f1.8 and 75-300. For my use that should do well. I have no discretionary funds at this point so had to do with that, but I feel that will allow me to exploit my strengths for what I shoot. At this point in the process I just didnt' want a DSLR anymore. I feel with the lightning fast focus speeds of the OMD I experienced trying one out at a dealer show last week, coupled with the remarkable IBIS which I need for my shaky shooting and size and weight it's just what I needed. I suspect I'm not alone

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904Gear list
Like?
FF finally coming down in $$

That's good to hear. More choices, and running "1.5" systems isn't out of the question for some. Pick up a portrait prime and a FF body as a supplement to the main m43 setup.

I am also in the camp of moving away from FF to M43. I won't do it this year, but for my personal stuff I prefer m43. For portraits and events, FF has more DOF control. I use a 5D2 and feel that the AF is far worse than my GH2 in AFS reliability. It's just silly.

I have been tempted to switch to a pair of GH2s, the bright primes, and an OIS zoom for video...

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
Wildlife? Sports?

I thought both sets of shooters liked the cropped sensor to get more reach. D800 solves that with an ability to crop down. A 16mp FF doesn't really help you that much.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
Dual system is really the way to go...
In reply to Marla2008, May 24, 2012

If you have the specific needs that full frame provides it makes sense. Can't remember why you sold the D700 in the first place though, but there are compromises with any system for sure.

Micro can do everything pretty much but shallow depth of field. It can do it but just not as well as Full Frame.

So I think you having both systems makes sense if that's what you need.

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 @ < $2000 according to Nikon rumours.

I wonder what this will do to D700 prices.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lights, May 24, 2012

nothing will kill APSC anytime soon.

Even though APSC users account for a good proportion of FF lenses, FF only account for 1 in 5 of all lenses sold, and camera volume is more like a dozen times that of FF. The just released D800 is presently #20 in Japan against mostly stale APSC opposition.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,249
Like?
I'm watching D700 prices

The D800 has already pushed them down, a low cost D600 may well push a clean D700 body under $1k.

Be interesting to get one and see what it can really do, I just didn't want to bust the bank in the process.

I love technology advances. Makes for some real bargains.

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 21,948
Like?
Weird...

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In fact they say $1,600.

More usefully for me, it will have an AF screw, which means I should be able to ebay all my Nikon primes for good money.

Why mention it here? I like MFT for the size. I think the OM-D is well up to FF standards on a pixel by pixel basis, but I envy the D800 owners their 36MP. A 16-24MP FF is of no interest to me at all. Many people here however seem to see the virtue of MFT as price, and would prefer FF, especially for DoF and high ISO. This sounds like good news for them, if true. You should be able to pick up a D600 and a handful of primes off ebay for the cost of an OM-D and the 12, 25, 45 and 75 combo.

So if you want FF but were put off by the price, I'd hang on a bit.

Me, I'm delighted with the OM-D and everything I have FF will be going as soon as I can get my lazy head around selling on ebay.

...that this post isn't consider trolling. I mean, for sure, I don't consider it as such, but just sayin'.

Anyway, yes, that rumored D600 has my full attention. I absolutely agree with your statement that "Nikon seem to be gunning for Canon at the moment, and they are winning". Big time.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,344
Like?
Re: I agree with ever word you said Louis
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, May 24, 2012

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

but a step beyond that, Nikon has kicked Canon's a$$ ever since the D200

No chance.

The D200 was competing with the 5D. The Nikon may have had a better body, but the Canon was way ahead sensor wise. 1DS2, IDS3 ?? Canon were way ahead.

It was only with the D3 and D300 that Nikon started kicking, and the sensor technology was the main reason.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,344
Like?

Martin Ocando wrote:

APS-C isn't going away in the near future. It will probably evolve, however the fact that Nikon are still pumping out new DX lenses all the time should give a teeny hint that the D600 will not mean the end.

Ironically, DX has strengths in terms of size and weight savings compared to FX, in the same way that this was one of the original selling points of fourthirds.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads