Tamron 90mm, nice and sharp.

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
Tamron 90mm, nice and sharp.
May 24, 2012

My grandson Max with his new brother Josh, D90, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, SB800 on camera with bounce flash, flat soft diffuser. I used a wide apertur to soften the background but I am very happy with the lens sharpness. Have compressed the pic for quick upload. Very impressed with this lens, now considering the Tamron 10 - 24mm wide angle, comments please.
--
Hotworks

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
uncleskull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903
Like?
Re: Tamron 90mm, nice and sharp.
In reply to R Dunlop, May 24, 2012

When I was looking for a wa zoom, I considered the tamron 10-24, nikor 10-24, tokina 12-24 and the tokina 11-16.

After a hands on at my local store, I decided on the tokina 12-24 (and couldn't be happier).

Nikon - too costly
Tokina 11-16 - too limited range for my needs
tamron - a bit soft

The tokina does a great job, even wide open at 12mm.

Unless you really need 10 on the wide end, you might want to consider the tokina. I bought the newer model with the built-in motor in case I get a small body (3100/3200) as a back-up cam.

-- hide signature --

unc

~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
winparkman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,618
Like?
In reply to uncleskull, May 24, 2012

I echo these comments but, as I said in another post today, the Sigma 10-20 is also an excellent choice. The Tamron 10-24 is not in the class with the Sigma, Tokina or Nikkor.

PS---the Nikkor 10-24 is a little less than the 12-24 and is fairly well regarded. Still, I would chose the Tokina again.

uncleskull wrote:

When I was looking for a wa zoom, I considered the tamron 10-24, nikor 10-24, tokina 12-24 and the tokina 11-16.

After a hands on at my local store, I decided on the tokina 12-24 (and couldn't be happier).

Nikon - too costly
tamron - a bit soft

Unless you really need 10 on the wide end, you might want to consider the tokina. I bought the newer model with the built-in motor in case I get a small body (3100/3200) as a back-up cam.

-- hide signature --

unc

~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,606
Like?
In reply to R Dunlop, May 25, 2012

About the only benefit of the WA Tamron is that is is very light weight. I would highly recommend you look at the Sigma 10-20 or the Tokina 12-24 instead.
--
Catallaxy

Tyr-Sog
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?

I also just picked up this lens and have been enjoying it.

My only complaint it the autofocus is pretty sluggish.

Considering the stats and that this was handheld, I'm impressed!

Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
R Dunlop
Like?
Sigma f4 - 5.6 or f3.5?
In reply to Tyr-Sog, May 25, 2012

There are two 10 - 20mm Sigmas listed on eBay, average difference in price appears to be around A$160. Are they on par with sharpness, I don't think the small difference in aperture is a deal breaker. Has one lens superceded the other?
Will google some more but appreciate comments and feedback?
Price seems a bit higher than the Tamron but still within range.

-- hide signature --

Hotworks

Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

Do you like the AF speed? How do you compare it to other lenses you have?

I'm evaluating the possibility of buying that lens used, like new, but I want to use it in street photography and not only macro.
Thanks!

http://500px.com/joserocha81

Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
RP McMurphy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to winparkman, May 25, 2012

+1 for the tokina 12-24 as well

Built like a tank, plenty sharp enough - decent close focus also

Tamron great lens, v sharp after f5.6 but not very robust -especially AF with the push -pull AF / M setting - mine is not engaging AF without 10 minutes of pushing and pulling so time for a new macro

will get a sigma 150 but will keep the tammy for tripod work when AF wouldn't be used anyway, but the sigma will give me on FX what I had with the tammy on DX

Switch to FX will necessitate selling the Tokina as I'll have no use for it but will still be sorry to see it go

winparkman wrote:

I echo these comments but, as I said in another post today, the Sigma 10-20 is also an excellent choice. The Tamron 10-24 is not in the class with the Sigma, Tokina or Nikkor.

PS---the Nikkor 10-24 is a little less than the 12-24 and is fairly well regarded. Still, I would chose the Tokina again.

uncleskull wrote:

Nikon - too costly
tamron - a bit soft

-- hide signature --

unc

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

RP McMurphy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to Jose Rocha, May 25, 2012

Not fast enough for street imo

Has a focus limiter but still not what anybody would call fast

It's a cheap lens with great optics

Jose Rocha wrote:

Do you like the AF speed? How do you compare it to other lenses you have?

I'm evaluating the possibility of buying that lens used, like new, but I want to use it in street photography and not only macro.
Thanks!

http://500px.com/joserocha81

R Dunlop
Like?
In reply to Jose Rocha, May 27, 2012

The auto focus on macro is quite slow but its not a problem. Most time when shooting macro you are looking for DOF and trying to pick the best focus points to suit your subject. I have only used this lens so have no comparison with others in its class, maybe someone else can add more detail to answer your question.
--
Hotworks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads