Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
May 24, 2012

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

 IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Holding the poor thing back
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

It has potential except the shackles of the M4/3 world keep this gem of a lens from crossing the the threshold of greatness. The only down side, other than the body it's attached to, will be people not liking their portraits with a 75mm lens (150mm equivalent). Faces will become flat and tend to lack a natural ’3D’-effect. The idea of achieving pleasing, life-like perspective will be unreachable at 150mm.

With this near miss of a lens, the viewer is going to witness a theme far from a natural pleasing “participant” perspective. The place it will shine though is that dark intimate stage atmosphere. Especially as one gets closer to closing time. It will holds it's place with all the other great 150mm primes of days gone by. So close and yet just a little to far.

BTW, any ideals why it won't be weather sealed?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Why?
In reply to Mako2011, May 24, 2012

As an aside, why are there so few F3.5 150mm on a full frame equivalent lens? Looking around, it seems a very odd focal length choice for a relatively DOF handicapped prime.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to Mako2011, May 24, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

As an aside, why are there so few F3.5 150mm on a full frame equivalent lens? Looking around, it seems a very odd focal length choice for a relatively DOF handicapped prime.

Because ultrashallow DOF is way less important to almost everyone than light gathering ability, which this lens can do just as well as any other f/1.8 lens. If you think this lens is handicapped, try shooting at 150mm and f/3.5 on a full frame camera, or 100mm f/2.2 on APS-C.

 IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

As an aside, why are there so few F3.5 150mm on a full frame equivalent lens? Looking around, it seems a very odd focal length choice for a relatively DOF handicapped prime.

Because ultrashallow DOF is way less important to almost everyone than light gathering ability,

I can see that. It makes sense in terms of compromising to make best of a tough situation. As I said above. Low light bar work is where it will come into it's own and not really as a portrait/studio lens. Still seems an odd FL to push as the ultimate portrait lens in advertizing. Good news is that it appears Sony is looking to go in haves on it in an effort to spread the loses out for both companies. Maybe a merger in the works to stave off the inevitable a bit longer. Do we call it Sopus or Olympny

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

Well, now I get the impression that your original post was not an ironic joke...

IcyVeins wrote:

Because ultrashallow DOF is way less important to almost everyone than light gathering ability, which this lens can do just as well as any other f/1.8 lens.

When used with a 4/3 sensor camera, this lens gathers only a quarter of the light compared to a f/1.8 lens on full frame.

If you think this lens is handicapped, try shooting at 150mm and f/3.5 on a full frame camera, or 100mm f/2.2 on APS-C.

What do you expect to happen when I try this?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to mattr, May 24, 2012

mattr wrote:

Well, now I get the impression that your original post was not an ironic joke...

IcyVeins wrote:

Because ultrashallow DOF is way less important to almost everyone than light gathering ability, which this lens can do just as well as any other f/1.8 lens.

When used with a 4/3 sensor camera, this lens gathers only a quarter of the light compared to a f/1.8 lens on full frame.

Oh I see, you just want to argue semantics and ignore that the net effect is the same due to the sensor being 1/4 the size and thus resulting in identical exposure. Because then I would be right and you would be wrong, and that's absolutely unacceptable.

If you think this lens is handicapped, try shooting at 150mm and f/3.5 on a full frame camera, or 100mm f/2.2 on APS-C.

What do you expect to happen when I try this?

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

 IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greenville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

Very well could be one of the great lenses. I am looking forward to seeing results from some great photographers.

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,871Gear list
Like?
As a cautionary tale...
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind,

Well, it's longer than any conventional portrait lens, which typically run about twice the diagonal (85mm on FF) to thrice the diagonal. We're also in an era where portrait styles are more intimate, and photographer-to-subject distances have been dropping. Now, I can understand why your subjects, in particular, may see some merit in a lens that increases the distance from subject to photographer, but for the vast majority, I'd say it's a no-show.

For camera makers, a cautionary tale, or a case study in what not to do.

But you knew all this before you trolled about it, didn't you, Icy?

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

 Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S400 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X +38 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

The Zuiko 50/2.0 still reigns supreme.

 Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: As a cautionary tale...
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, May 24, 2012

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind,

Well, it's longer than any conventional portrait lens, which typically run about twice the diagonal (85mm on FF) to thrice the diagonal. We're also in an era where portrait styles are more intimate, and photographer-to-subject distances have been dropping. Now, I can understand why your subjects, in particular, may see some merit in a lens that increases the distance from subject to photographer, but for the vast majority, I'd say it's a no-show.

For camera makers, a cautionary tale, or a case study in what not to do.

But you knew all this before you trolled about it, didn't you, Icy?

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

I think you are living in a distorted reality if you consider this post to be a troll attempt. You seem to define trolling as any statement that isn't universally agreed with.Or maybe you have just imprisoned yourself in the narrative that anything I say must be a troll so you make up the rules as you go along to give yourself an excuse to call anything I say a troll. Whatever puts you to sleep at night!

 IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

Rank? At number 1,387.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
150mm equiv is in an awkward zone
In reply to IcyVeins, May 25, 2012

I shoot a lot of indoor informal portraits and, as others have noted here, 150mm equiv is normally considered, and I consider, too long to be comfortable for that. I like 75mm to 105mm equiv, with 135mm beginning to be too long. Also, I'd note 150mm equiv is too short for most wildlife photography. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,897
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 25, 2012

Drunk again? Do your parents know? But I'll play alone like I don't know.

A F3.6 lens beats a 135 F2.0? A 100MM F2.8? A 85MM F1.8?

Why? It hasn't even been tested. It's ugly. And expensive. And slow.

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: 150mm equiv is in an awkward zone
In reply to wb2trf, May 25, 2012

wb2trf wrote:

I shoot a lot of indoor informal portraits and, as others have noted here, 150mm equiv is normally considered, and I consider, too long to be comfortable for that. I like 75mm to 105mm equiv, with 135mm beginning to be too long. Also, I'd note 150mm equiv is too short for most wildlife photography. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Well, something to ponder.... Don't you have to crop the portrait to 8x10 from the native 2x3 aspect ratio when you shoot in a 35mm FF camera? I think after the crop, 150mm in 4/3 and 135mm in FF is about the same, because you don't need to crop nearly as much with the 4x3 aspect ratio.

 citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to tko, May 25, 2012

You seem to be unaware that lens speed is completely unrelated to depth of field. This lens allows you to shoot at the same exposure as with any other f/1.8 lens, and is brighter than any f/2 or f/2.8 lens. So for you to call it "slow" shows that your knowledge of photography is very limited.

As far as depth of field is concerned, this lens at maximum aperture gives about one foot of DOF at a 20 foot focus distance. That is more than shallow enough to isolate the subject in a portrait, for which this lens was intended.

tko wrote:
Drunk again? Do your parents know? But I'll play alone like I don't know.

A F3.6 lens beats a 135 F2.0? A 100MM F2.8? A 85MM F1.8?

Why? It hasn't even been tested. It's ugly. And expensive. And slow.

IcyVeins wrote:

This is quite possibly the most epic portrait lens ever known to mankind, with all its high grade glass, metal, and coatings. We may never see a lens capable of more devastating light-capturing accuracy than this beautiful Mona Lisa of a lens. It's high time we exalt this treasure of the earth to its rightful place among the pantheon of all-time legendary lenses: TO THE RELIQUARY! ENSHRINE THIS BEAST IN ITS HALCYON DOMAIN FOR ALL TO SEE AND WORSHIP FOR ETERNITY!

 IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 25, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

As far as depth of field is concerned, this lens at maximum aperture gives about one foot of DOF at a 20 foot focus distance. That is more than shallow enough to isolate the subject in a portrait, for which this lens was intended.

If you normally shoot your portraits at f3.5 and 150mm on FF I would have to agree with you. On the other hand, I see 75mm f1.8 as minimally acceptable regards DOF and one of the reasons I think they really dropped the ball here in how they are marketing it (people buying it already accept the limitations this sensor format brings an should know better than to see it as the consummate portrait lens). The thing it will have going for it is it's shiny, metal, looks to be sharp, and make a great hood ornament for the body. A lens for the gadget minded who don't mind paying $900 and a little extra for the optional lens hood (BTW, does anyone know if the hood comes in silver?). Looks like an "all show and no go" kind of lens. I can see the engineers now..."if we make it look pretty, they might not notice". After looking closer, I don't think this bodes well for the direction the company is taking. Someone pointed out that the real reason for this lens is to increase sales of silver camera bodies. It might work in that regard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 25, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

You seem to be unaware that lens speed is completely unrelated to depth of field. This lens allows you to shoot at the same exposure as with any other f/1.8 lens, and is brighter than any f/2 or f/2.8 lens. So for you to call it "slow" shows that your knowledge of photography is very limited.

As far as depth of field is concerned, this lens at maximum aperture gives about one foot of DOF at a 20 foot focus distance. That is more than shallow enough to isolate the subject in a portrait, for which this lens was intended.

Exactly. This leans is clearly targeted at all those claiming you can't get shallow enough DOF for portraits on m4/3 cameras. People may just have to take a few more steps backwards than they're used to to get everything they want in frame.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: 150mm equiv is in an awkward zone
In reply to citizenlouie, May 25, 2012

citizenlouie wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

I shoot a lot of indoor informal portraits and, as others have noted here, 150mm equiv is normally considered, and I consider, too long to be comfortable for that. I like 75mm to 105mm equiv, with 135mm beginning to be too long. Also, I'd note 150mm equiv is too short for most wildlife photography. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Put a good tele-convertor on this and you've got your wildlife lens.

Well, something to ponder.... Don't you have to crop the portrait to 8x10 from the native 2x3 aspect ratio when you shoot in a 35mm FF camera? I think after the crop, 150mm in 4/3 and 135mm in FF is about the same, because you don't need to crop nearly as much with the 4x3 aspect ratio.

True - and there is nothing wrong with that focal length. Nikon's 135mm f2 dc lens is one of the favorite portrait lenses out there.

This 75mm and the 45mm should be a good combination for portraiture on m4/3 cameras.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Re: Where does the Olympus 75/1.8 rank among the all-time legendary lenses?
In reply to CFynn, May 25, 2012

CFynn wrote:

Exactly. This leans is clearly targeted at all those claiming you can't get shallow enough DOF for portraits on m4/3 cameras.

"Targeted at" meaning it helps validate the ideal that it is indeed hard/impossible to get similar DOF isolation in the m4/3 format? I don't think that was the designers intent. That limitation is already a given and this lens seems to reinforce that. That is after all one of the disadvantages of APS-C also that can't be overcome. m4/3 is about portability and nothing more, if we are to be honest....and IQ is on the rise as well. This lens simply takes a small bit of that advantage away. That might be why the lens hood isn't provided. Doing so would further point to the size advantage lost here. The 45mm though suffers from much less of that. A much better option I think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads