Olympus 75mm F1.8 is here $899 -Ouch!!

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
NickR
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 75mm F1.8 is here $899 -Ouch!!
In reply to Willing, May 24, 2012

Olympus's business model is producing a small, less costly product to produce but charging a significant premium over legacy manufacturer's products that are likely more costly to produce. Seems to be working.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,036Gear list
Like?
Funny you mention the Leica 90 F2
In reply to Amin Sabet, May 24, 2012

because I was looking closely at that very lens until the 75 1.8 was announced.

Used to be, you could find a clean copy of the 90 F2 for around $500, but when I checked this spring, it had shot up to around $900. Must be all these mirrorless types bidding the used price up.

So, no the 75 1.8 isn't that expensive, but one must keep in mind that M43 hasn't had much glass in this quality range in the past, so a bit of sticker shock is to be expected.

The good news is - M43 is getting serious glass now. The bad news is - it's still pretty pricey as compared to average glass. High tech hasn't changed that.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
NickR
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
In reply to zzapamiga, May 24, 2012

Uh, you realize that the Sigma is significantly faster and covers a full frame. The Nikon 85mm 1.8 that just came out is also significantly cheaper. If you're fine with being milked by Olympus, that's fine, but don't try to pretend it's a good deal.

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: This is getting sooooo tiring.
In reply to TEBnewyork, May 24, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

This is where I completely disagree. There are plenty of people on this forum and all over that can afford full frame or who have owned full frame and don't want full frame. Full frame is not the holy grail of image quality. Does every person who shoots full frame say if I could only afford medium format, I would go there. Emphatic NO!!!

. . . Yes there are lots of us who gave up our FF systems in order to use the more compact system that m4/3 offers. Saving money was never the driving force for me and many others here as well. Until you've carried a heavy FF camera and telephoto lens around for several hours, it might not make a lot of sense to some but it's a real problem after a while.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165
Like?
75mm 1.8 v 150mm 2.0
In reply to Klarno, May 24, 2012

See here:

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Re: Quite funny here...
In reply to jennajenna, May 24, 2012

Ya, some technical review shows it is quite close to the 150mm f2 in image quality, see below.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
MadsR
Like?
In reply to Klarno, May 24, 2012

Klarno wrote:

How does a 75mm f/1.8 lens on a 4/3" class sensor in any way match a 150mm f/2.0 lens on a 4/3" class sensor?

In image quality... The 150mm f2 is one of the sharpest 4/3 lenses available, and some review (that another guy linked) shows that this one is very close indeed.

In terms of FoV and DoF it does not, it is also quite a bit smaller and lighter...

MadsR
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 24, 2012

Gregm61 wrote:

MadsR wrote:

Everyone whines that here are no SHG or UHG lenses, then Olympus makes one that matches their 150mm f2.0 UHG, at around 1/4th the price, and people start to cry that it is still quite expensive... Sigh

It would have to be a 150mm lens, not a 75mm lens, to match the four-thirds lens.

Whether we're talking four-thirds or micro four-thirds, it the same format/sensor size, so the focal length would have to be the same, to be the same.

It's not the same...

Image quality matches quite close, and the 150mm is probably the best 4/3 lens available and is 4 times as expensive now! something like 8 times as expensive at launch.

I know FoV and DoF does not match, also the new lens is much smaller and lighter, but the image quality (resolution, contrast, distortion, CA etc.) is very very close.

j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

Willing wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/24/Olympus-announces-m-zuiko-75mm-F1-8

Did the OP make a mistake "Olympus 75mm F1.8 is here $899 -Ouch!". Where is here? I want to buy it but when I followed the link I was disappointed to see just an announcement. Please post the link to here so I can buy this lens now?

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?

It would have been great if this lens came in black and is weather sealed.

W.C. Green
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, May 24, 2012

Wholehearted agree... for that price, I really need a black version, weather seals, hood and cap... then I would fork out $900+ tax and shipping.
B
http://www.wcgreen.net
--
'Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must.'

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451Gear list
Like?
In reply to W.C. Green, May 24, 2012

Wide open the forthcoming 35-100 f/2.8 has the same DOF@100mm as the 75mm f/1.8.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to j.m.young, May 24, 2012

j.m.young wrote:

Did the OP make a mistake "Olympus 75mm F1.8 is here $899 -Ouch!". Where is here? I want to buy it but when I followed the link I was disappointed to see just an announcement. Please post the link to here so I can buy this lens now?

https://us.buyolympus.com/lenses/m-zuiko-digital-lenses-pen-series/m-zuiko-digital-ed-75mm-f1-8.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00836JHVQ/?tag=rumors04-20

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867365-REG/Olympus_75mm_f_1_8_M_Zuiko.html

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
W.C. Green
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 24, 2012

Something to consider for me... thanks!

MAubrey wrote:

Wide open the forthcoming 35-100 f/2.8 has the same DOF@100mm as the 75mm f/1.8.
--
--Mike

-- hide signature --

'Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must.'

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
Re: Better $899 than $299
In reply to Amin Sabet, May 24, 2012

Amin Sabet wrote:

but rather in terms of delivering crisp, sharp, detailed images wide open and premium build quality.

By the looks of the published MTF, it tops the 45/1.8, which definitely puts this in 135L territory IQ-wise. I am sure it beats the EF 85/1.8 on APS-C, if not on FF.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
Just a thank you to the troops...
In reply to Willing, May 25, 2012

It's Olympus' thank you for all buying the $1000 camera !

Vjim

whose wonderful $ 99, m40-150 covers a 'slow' 75 mm

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,820
Like?
In reply to Chez Wimpy, May 25, 2012

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Amin Sabet wrote:

but rather in terms of delivering crisp, sharp, detailed images wide open and premium build quality.

By the looks of the published MTF, it tops the 45/1.8, which definitely puts this in 135L territory IQ-wise. I am sure it beats the EF 85/1.8 on APS-C, if not on FF.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Olympus hard core fans are funny
Leo

Leo
Leo
Like?
In reply to NickR, May 25, 2012

NickR wrote:

Olympus's business model is producing a small, less costly product tproduce but charging a significant premium over legacy manufacturer's products that are likely more costly to produce. Seems to be working.

Olympus was a dying company and almost was sold. Now to survive they need to charge. Many neglected Olympus owners switched to other brands and the current number of fans may not be able to pull Olympus out of the hole. That is my thinking.
On the other hand it may help them to be sold for more. My opinion.
Leo

Leo
Leo
Like?
Re: Just a thank you to the troops...
In reply to vincent filomena, May 25, 2012

vincent filomena wrote:

It's Olympus' thank you for all buying the $1000 camera !

Vjim

whose wonderful $ 99, m40-150 covers a 'slow' 75 mm

Interesting.
I have got GH2 body with athe kit lens for $749 deliverd.
Leo

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leo, May 25, 2012

Leo wrote:

Olympus hard core fans are funny

I only have the one Olympus lens, but the 45/1.8 is definitely up there with my other great portrait optics. In many ways it is better than the Canon 85/1.8 on APS-C (CA, and purple fringing in particular), but lacks the DOF control. Since the 75/1.8 is purportedly the better lens, this will bring it closer to the 135L - in everything but DOF control.

I don't have the inclination to buy yet another portrait lens, but I am sure somebody will do a side-by-side at some point.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads