Lenses to buy with first camera?

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions
NirS
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Lenses to buy with first camera?
May 24, 2012

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying my first SLR camera (maybe Canon T1i or T2i). I saw that cameras usually come with 18-55 lenses which are (to my initial understanding of this issue) pretty general lenses and do not provide much zoom.

My question is: should I buy just the camera (body only) without the 18-55 lens (and save $100) and invest much money in 70-210 lens (telephoto lens)? Or do I need both of these lenses?
Does anyone need the general 18-55 lens if one has the telephoto lens?

I appreciate any clarification on this issue.

Thanks!
Nir

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,406
Like?
Re: Lenses to buy with first camera?
In reply to NirS, May 24, 2012

If you only had a 70-210mm(?) lens, you would not have any wide or standard focal lengths. Would you be happy to never be able to capture a landscape or a group of people? Get the kit lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter A. Stavrakoglou
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,252Gear list
Like?

Fir the $100, the kit lens is worth it. I don't know what kind of shooting you pln on doing so I may be wrong, but I would think that a 70-200mm or thereabouts will not suffice, you will most likely need something in the range of the kit lens.

My two cents is to get the camera with the kit lens and shoot with that for awhile and then determine what other lens or lenses you'll nees. Some kit lenses are not bad at all and can give good image quality.
--
My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +15 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

The kit lenses are very good optically and when purchased bundled with a body they are typically at a very considerable discount.

For a Canon crop frame the kit lenses are the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS. I'd recommend these are excellent general purpose lenses.

Does anyone need the general 18-55 lens if one has the telephoto lens ?

The 18-55 covers field of view that are from moderately wide to a nice head-and-shoulders portrait length. The 55-250 IS covers a narrower field of view. I would not recommend going without the 18-55, which covers what I'd call "social" ranges typically used indoors or for social situations outdoors.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?

because of the cropped sensor on the cameras you are considering, the effective focal range of the kit lens is a 3xzoom takes you from wide angle (18 = @28mm) to moderate telephoto (@mid 80mms). That is a valuable and highly desirable shooting range for most people. The 3x zoom telephoto you reference takes you from telephoto (70 = @ 105mm) way out into telephoto range, which although may be useful, is generally considered something extra in addition to the basic range. Unless you solely plan to shoot wildlife or other things distant, I think the kit lens would be much more useful.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,126Gear list
Like?
What's it for?

The 18-55 lens provides a 3X zoom, with focal lengths that can be useful for wide-angle photography.

I suggest that you could save your money, and buy a better wide-angle lens. Of course, it depends on what you're doing with it and why you need it. If you're only going to use the wide-angle occasionally, and rely on a telephoto lens more regularly, then saving money by buying the lightweight kit lens would be a good choice.

UnicornNz
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?

Head over to this site http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/ to see what sort of results, in terms of field of view, you might expect from various focal lengths.

UnicornNz's gear list:UnicornNz's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads