K5 or em5

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
MDGolfer
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
K5 or em5
May 23, 2012

I had the opportunity to shoot pictures in my brother's wedding a tear and a half ago. I had Pentax K5 along with 16 to 50 f8 lens,top-of-the-line flasf and 70 to 20o f2.8 along with pancake prime lenses. Autofocus was not up to par for low light focusing. Most of the pictures did not come as I expected. They weren't bad but I guess I expected more.

MDGolfer's gear list:MDGolfer's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Re: K5 or em5
In reply to MDGolfer, May 23, 2012

Pentax is not known for good AF, on the other hand neither is Olympus, but so far the reviews for E-M5 have been good in that department.

Personally I would get the E-M5 (And why else would I be here? I shoot m43 all the time now) because it is less than half the size and weight.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bevis4
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to MDGolfer, May 24, 2012

There are threads on here & the pentax forum discussing k5/em-5 decisions.

-- hide signature --
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,531Gear list
Like?
I've been happy with EM5 low-light focusing so far

I attended a wedding as a guest last weekend. There was a professional photographer covering the occasion, but I took my EM-5 along to see if I could get some nice photos to give to the bride and groom as a gift.

I only have the 12-50mm kit lens (sloooow) at the moment - awaiting delivery of my new glass. I had zero problems focusing during the ceremony. The EM-5 was also the quietest 'serious' camera there - way quieter than the pro's Nikon, and quieter than the other guests' DSLRs.

I didn't use a flash during the ceremony (held inside a dimly lit chapel), so I had to rely on a combination of high ISO (I took pictures at 800, 1600, 3200 and 5000 ISO) and long shutter speeds (up to 1/4 second for some of the 800 ISO shots).

IBIS was a bonus with the long shutter speeds. Focus and camera movement were no problem - the only problem I had was with subject movement at those speeds.

Was also great to be able to put the camera into burst mode, tilt the screen down, then hold it over my head and fire off 15 or so shots at a go.

Surprisingly, I ended up with a number of quality shots. Even the higher ISO shots look good after processing in LightRoom.

Sample image:

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Joe Franek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305
Like?

so?
if you don't want out of focus pictures, don't buy K5

MDGolfer wrote:

I had the opportunity to shoot pictures in my brother's wedding a tear and a half ago. I had Pentax K5 along with 16 to 50 f8 lens,top-of-the-line flasf and 70 to 20o f2.8 along with pancake prime lenses. Autofocus was not up to par for low light focusing. Most of the pictures did not come as I expected. They weren't bad but I guess I expected more.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
CDAF means higher hit rate
In reply to MadsR, May 24, 2012

I think the older/cheaper PENs didn't have an AF assist lamp and so were bad focusing in low light. The E-M5 is great for me. CDAF is also more accurate than PDAF if you don't manually adjust the focusing for each lens (something you can do with only some DSLR bodies). This is why people get a higher "hit-rate" of pics in focus with CDAF cameras.

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: CDAF is poor on Oly bodies for lower light?
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 24, 2012

It is well know that the Panasonic bodies have the most accurate and reliable af in low light, the Oly being particularly poor in low light. The top of the range m43 camera is a GH2 and will have far superior af in lower lit conditions than the OMD. The G3 and GX1 are close to the GH2 but the GH2 is probably still the fastest most accurate cd-af.

Just Having Fun wrote:

I think the older/cheaper PENs didn't have an AF assist lamp and so were bad focusing in low light. The E-M5 is great for me. CDAF is also more accurate than PDAF if you don't manually adjust the focusing for each lens (something you can do with only some DSLR bodies). This is why people get a higher "hit-rate" of pics in focus with CDAF cameras.

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Interesting
In reply to Adventsam, May 24, 2012

Where are the numbers for that?

I have not seen or heard any numbers on this in a looong time (since I got my E-P1) and back then you could tell the Panasonic was faster without the use of sofisicated stopwatches (Panasonic G1 was fast, Olympus E-P1 was... well, it do get there eventually) but the E-P3 have been claimed by Olympus to be "the fastest in the world" whatever world that may be?

I would like to get some numbers on it, tests in low light, I don't really care for manufactorers own numbers, they tend to select the fastest possible, not the actual average.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads