High key, shot outdoors? what!

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?
High key, shot outdoors? what!
May 23, 2012

Some of the remarks about high key are used to cover up overexposure. I have never even thought about an outdoor shot being high key. If you are shooting outdoors, there is only one exposure, the correct one. If shooting indoors in a studio environment, you can shoot high key very well, as all is controlled.

If there is such a thing as outdoor high key, would someone please post some. I can't believe it is possible. If you can't control the subject and the background exposure separately, how would you do it?

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +7 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Honeslty......
In reply to Jere Landis, May 23, 2012

Jere Landis wrote:

Some of the remarks about high key are used to cover up overexposure. I have never even thought about an outdoor shot being high key. If you are shooting outdoors, there is only one exposure, the correct one. If shooting indoors in a studio environment, you can shoot high key very well, as all is controlled.

If there is such a thing as outdoor high key, would someone please post some. I can't believe it is possible. If you can't control the subject and the background exposure separately, how would you do it?

I can't imagine it either.

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: High key, shot outdoors? what!

Hmmm.

I'm travelling, so I can only offer what I have on flickr, and the one is not that high key, and the other is only just out of doors, still:

bedhead
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
Re: Honeslty......
In reply to tedolf, May 23, 2012

Imagine living in Seattle and being unable to do anything but shoot into the sun, when it shows it's ugly little yellow head.

This is an psycho-muscular reaction. But no, not high-key. Just dumb and wishful thinking.

"Hope is not a strategy"

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 23, 2012

I like both
Taste and vision prevail any rules.
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Jere Landis
Like?

Louis, are they both shot out of doors or just the beach shot?

I would have to challenge the second one being high key because of the dark areas around the lady's face and neck area. The first is obviously not high key.

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +7 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to s_grins, May 23, 2012

s_grins wrote:

I like both
Taste and vision prevail any rules.
--

Whether they are liked or not has nothing to do with being high key. The first is definitely not and the second is very borderline. The second does not meet my definition of high key, however it is debatable.

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Hmmm.

I'm travelling, so I can only offer what I have on flickr, and the one is not that high key, and the other is only just out of doors, still:

The second one is definatley classic "high key" but was it outdoors?

I doubt it.

Also, a great shot and a beautiful wife.

You are one lucky fellow.

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
OniMirage
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

"If you are shooting outdoors, there is only one exposure, the correct one."

This single quote right here is why you don't understand it as being possible. If your shooting RAW then yes you should always go for the correct exposure because it gives you the greatest flexibility. If your shooting jpeg then adjusting the tone curve to bias highs or lows gives you a different type of artistic restriction/freedom while taking the shot. Obviously you have to be confident in your skills otherwise you can go too far but being restricted will force you to think more about your choices and challenge you to experiment in order to make the right ones it also gives you the freedom to worry only about the highs or lows as opposed to worrying about both.

OniMirage
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Louis, are they both shot out of doors or just the beach shot?

I would have to challenge the second one being high key because of the dark areas around the lady's face and neck area. The first is obviously not high key.

I agree both fail at being high key.

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,543
Like?
???

Is this a joke? Haven't you ever shot in full sun with areas in deep shadow???

It's bright here in AZ no doubt, but it can be bright elsewhere.

tedolf wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Tedolph, RIP

Simon Cowell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,471
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Could you explain why you limit your statement to outdoor situations only?

Not that I agree with it by the way.

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122
Like?

tedolf wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

you were correct in other thread about over-exposure but you were Louisified.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?

Post your sample, please
--

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
OniMirage
Like?
Re: ???
In reply to mh2000, May 23, 2012

mh2000 wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Tedolph, RIP

I hate shooting in the AZ sun most of the time. I love the sunsets and love the golden hour photo ops but I hate the harsh light most other times. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so incredibly hot to top it off.

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,490
Like?
Here are some examples

Jere Landis wrote:

Jere, even when shooting outdoors, there is not only "one exposure." A simple case in point is that if you're shooting someone against a bright background (eg: the sun) then you can expose for the background or the subject. Neither one is the absolute right one. It's up to the photographer which exposure to choose, depending on the desired result.

Also, when shooting outdoors, depending on the subject, you may be able to control the light. When photographing people or larger objects such as cars, there are gobos, reflectors, and portable flash units which all useful tools for controlling the light ratio between the background and the subject.

So with that kind of control, creating a high key scene isn't really a problem at all.

If you're talking about a subject where you can't control the light, then it becomes a matter of finding the right subject and the right light in order to create a high key photograph.

High key photos are typified by the use of bright tones and low contrast. So an obvious high key, outdoor scene that doesn't rely on the use of controlling foreground light would be some kind of snow scene. Or light coloured sand...or bodies of water with light reflecting off of them.

Have a look at these beautiful landscape photos taken by Colin Steel with an OM-D: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/05/03/on-the-road-with-the-olympus-om-d-by-colin-steel/

Do any of them fit your definition of high key? Speaking for myself, I'd consider some of them to be high key. The photographer also considers some of them to be high key as well.

larsbc

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Sun and snow?

tedolf wrote:

I am not going to post other people's work, but there are superb hi-key shots of people wearing white in the sun and snow.

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,490
Like?
Jere, how do you define a high key photo?
In reply to larsbc, May 23, 2012

BTW, if you don't think any of the photos on the page that I linked to are examples of high-key photos, then I think it'd be useful for the purposes of this thread for you to define what you consider to be a high-key photograph.

Jere Landis
Like?
Re: ???
In reply to mh2000, May 23, 2012

mh2000 wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Tedolph, RIP

If areas are in deep shadow, it's not high key period!

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to zxaar, May 23, 2012

zxaar wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

you were correct in other thread about over-exposure but you were Louisified.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

I'm afraid not, Louis is wrong here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads