Crawling with Snakes

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Crawling with Snakes
May 23, 2012

I went on a day trip last week to the Narcisse snake dens, just over an hour away. It was a nice walk with over 3 kilometres of trails.

More snake photos here
http://mothergoose.zenfolio.com/p282669447

-- hide signature --
 mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
BPJosh
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
Lucky You!
In reply to mothergoose, May 23, 2012

I would love to grab up a large arm full of those garters and then take some fun self portraits. I love our slithering friends. I looked at your gallery and I see you have some females being harassed by tons of males as well, Very Cool!
--
--Josh-- Insomniac/NightHawk/Night Photographer
http://www.HaydenImaging.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/haydenimaging/

BPJosh's gear list:BPJosh's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mothergoose
Like?
Re: Lucky You!
In reply to BPJosh, May 23, 2012

BPJosh wrote:

I would love to grab up a large arm full of those garters and then take some fun self portraits. I love our slithering friends. I looked at your gallery and I see you have some females being harassed by tons of males as well, Very Cool!
--
--Josh-- Insomniac/NightHawk/Night Photographer
http://www.HaydenImaging.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/haydenimaging/

Lol, that would be awesome--you'll look like Medusa!

I would not want to be a female snake. I guess they're larger so they can withstand all that harassment. This is probably why some creatures kill or eat their mates!

It would have been great to get some photos of the females but they were always covered by a mass of males.
--
Sandy
http://mothergoose.zenfolio.com/

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?
Re: Crawling with Snakes

Very cool! I love snakes, always have, and I once stumbled across a den like this when I was a kid. Never seen another since.
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,678
Like?
Wonderful!

Great picture. It does make my skin crawl though, I must admit. What kind of snake are they and are they dangerous to humans?

In the UK we have only two kinds of snake, both rather uncommon: the adder and the grassnake. I have never seen an adder (poisonous) but we have a grassnake (harmless - unless you are a frog) living by our garden pond.

David

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to DuaneV, May 24, 2012

DuaneV wrote:

Very cool! I love snakes, always have, and I once stumbled across a den like this when I was a kid. Never seen another since.
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

Thanks Duane. These are active dens. The snakes can be seen every spring during mating--before they disperse for the summer. They return again in the fall.
--
Sandy

mothergoose
Like?
Re: Wonderful!
In reply to David Lal, May 24, 2012

David Lal wrote:

Great picture. It does make my skin crawl though, I must admit. What kind of snake are they and are they dangerous to humans?

In the UK we have only two kinds of snake, both rather uncommon: the adder and the grassnake. I have never seen an adder (poisonous) but we have a grassnake (harmless - unless you are a frog) living by our garden pond.

David

These are red-sided garter snakes--non-venomous, non-aggressive. I like these guys! They're actually kind of cute in person. There are tens of thousands in the Narcisse,MB area.

I've seen hundreds of garter snakes swimming across a lake once when I was in a boat fishing, but that was in the Whiteshell area of Manitoba. That was kind of creepy.

Thanks.
--
Sandy

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,433
Like?
Re: Wonderful!
In reply to mothergoose, May 24, 2012

Lovely...I'm another one who has always been fond of snakes...of course I like spiders too..great picture.
--
Herby

Dohmnuill
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?

Great shot, mg.

Do you handle these at all?

Hard to associate these with the species here (Australia) which are mostly (highly) venomous and can have a lot of attitude.

Bobadger
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to Dohmnuill, May 24, 2012

Great pictures! #21 on your Zenfolio site would be a great cover shot for a Herp pet magazine.

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
In reply to Dohmnuill, May 24, 2012

Ugh! We got some nasty ones in the So. CA desert too. Mojave Green is one nasty tempered rattlesnake. Thing will chase you and seems to like to stand its ground. Some of the sidewinders, although less venomous, will travel at a pretty good clip too. They seem to lift their body a bit for cooling, maybe 3 degrees off the hot dirt, as they slither - probably why they are so "hot tempered" too.

I've heard enough "rattles" in this lifetime. They make their presence known. Scorpions at night are another interesting matter too as they can appear in the hundreds and you'll never see one in the daytime unless you flip over some old board.

On one movie set, the property master has some "snake dog" that searches them out and kills them if they don't escape him. It is interesting to watch the dog go after them and finds them when he goes to work. If he is ever bit, it would likely be all over for him, but they have an anti-toxin available that he's never had to use - yet. One guy had 3 small rattlers stuck via their fangs on his boots and jeans and was "sort of upset" (mildly, ha!) by them hanging there.

Mack

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to GMack, May 24, 2012

GMack wrote:

Ugh! We got some nasty ones in the So. CA desert too. Mojave Green is one nasty tempered rattlesnake. Thing will chase you and seems to like to stand its ground. Some of the sidewinders, although less venomous, will travel at a pretty good clip too. They seem to lift their body a bit for cooling, maybe 3 degrees off the hot dirt, as they slither - probably why they are so "hot tempered" too.

I've heard enough "rattles" in this lifetime. They make their presence known. Scorpions at night are another interesting matter too as they can appear in the hundreds and you'll never see one in the daytime unless you flip over some old board.

On one movie set, the property master has some "snake dog" that searches them out and kills them if they don't escape him. It is interesting to watch the dog go after them and finds them when he goes to work. If he is ever bit, it would likely be all over for him, but they have an anti-toxin available that he's never had to use - yet. One guy had 3 small rattlers stuck via their fangs on his boots and jeans and was "sort of upset" (mildly, ha!) by them hanging there.

Mack

Damn!

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

Nice set! I like snakes, too. I've own a few as pets.

Those same garters (or a very similar type) are quite common here in the Pacific NW, though I've never seen a den like that. Here's one from the Ridgefield NWR, a favorite shooting spots of mine. This one was sunning on a tree, laying almost vertical. It's also a good example of how shallow the DOF is at 500mm, even at f/8.

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,433
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, May 24, 2012

had a sort of funny experience with a snake at one time..a friend growing up kept them as pets...one was an 11 foot python and asked me to take it downstairs to show our friends, so we got it all wrapped around me. He neglected to tell me it was due for a feeding and as I got to the bottom of the stairs his mom's chihuahua came running past my feet. I was barely able to croak out to get this snake off me as it started constricting on me. Never felt anything so strong in my life.
--
Herby

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to Dohmnuill, May 25, 2012

Dohmnuill wrote:

Great shot, mg.

Do you handle these at all?

Hard to associate these with the species here (Australia) which are mostly (highly) venomous and can have a lot of attitude.

If you can catch one. You have to be gentle with them. My son was holding one and it disappeared into the gear belt he was wearing. We couldn't find it at first.

Thanks Dohmnuill and Herby.

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to GMack, May 25, 2012

GMack wrote:

Mack

Wow, I didn't know scorpions were nocturnal. I've never seen one in my life. I'm glad I don't have to worry about those venomous critters here, but we have bears and wolves. Hearing that rattle must be slightly intimidating.
--
Sandy

Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dohmnuill, May 25, 2012

Someone has to explain to me why it is that any time a nature show comes on, having to do with poisonous critters, the nastiest of them all seem to be in Australia. Spiders, jelly fish, snakes, octopi, mother-in-laws ....

Crazy!

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, May 25, 2012

nfpotter wrote:

Nice set! I like snakes, too. I've own a few as pets.

Those same garters (or a very similar type) are quite common here in the Pacific NW, though I've never seen a den like that. Here's one from the Ridgefield NWR, a favorite shooting spots of mine. This one was sunning on a tree, laying almost vertical. It's also a good example of how shallow the DOF is at 500mm, even at f/8.

500mm? Lol, were you scared to get in closer? I took some macro shots of the cute little devils! I'm not a fan of a too-shallow DOP.

-- hide signature --

Sandy

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to herbymel, May 25, 2012

herbymel wrote:

had a sort of funny experience with a snake at one time..a friend growing up kept them as pets...one was an 11 foot python and asked me to take it downstairs to show our friends, so we got it all wrapped around me. He neglected to tell me it was due for a feeding and as I got to the bottom of the stairs his mom's chihuahua came running past my feet. I was barely able to croak out to get this snake off me as it started constricting on me. Never felt anything so strong in my life.
--
Herby

Lol, you almost deserve to get squished for agreeing to carry an 11 foot python. Glad you're still with us though!
--
Sandy

mothergoose
Like?
In reply to Tee1up, May 25, 2012

Tee1up wrote:

Someone has to explain to me why it is that any time a nature show comes on, having to do with poisonous critters, the nastiest of them all seem to be in Australia. Spiders, jelly fish, snakes, octopi, mother-in-laws ....

Crazy!

That's because everything is upside down and backwards over there. Only the fiercest can survive it.
--
Sandy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads