Amazing DP review of Canon Mark 3 and Nikon D800 d800

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
peteygas
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Amazing DP review of Canon Mark 3 and Nikon D800 d800
May 23, 2012

Isn't amazing that DP review (that gets all it's revenue from advertising ) gives the identical scores to it's two biggest advertisers hottest new cameras

peteygas's gear list:peteygas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazing DP review of Canon Mark 3 and Nikon D800 d800
In reply to peteygas, May 23, 2012

The partial scores were certainly adjusted so that the final composites were same, they will never accept that as the truth, but we know better. And both get golden prizes. Interesting that the D7000, costing a 1/3 or the 5D3 and less than half the D800, scoring 80, didn't get the golden award. DPR's tests are only interesting re the RAW samples, the rest is irrelevant. But many starting their systems will take their judgement as meaningful.

I have decided some time ago not to discuss DPR's reviews, here I just stepped out of that line, but that's it, I won't go further, it's not worth it.

peteygas wrote:

Isn't amazing that DP review (that gets all it's revenue from advertising ) gives the identical scores to it's two biggest advertisers hottest new cameras

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,302
Like?

peteygas wrote:

So reading between the lines (I'm being generous here), you're saying that both canon and nikon are worried about losing market share to their nearest competitor so use extensive advertising? Both these companies have a sound understanding of advertising and sufficient data on how effective their advertising is.

I'm not that amazed.
--
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk
http://www.johnleechstudio.blogspot.com

Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?

In my opinion, that review is a cop out and chickening out by DPR's reviewer.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

How important is this?

As far as I can tell, both cameras were thoroughly examined and the pros and cons discussed in detail. Clearly each camera has its strengths and weaknesses.

How can you really determine a score based on, say, one camera with much better resolution and the other giving significantly faster frame rates? In some cases, resolution is more important, in other cases, frame rates are more important.

I certainly think a prospective buyer of either camera can check out the detailed review and formulate their own conclusions, for their needs. The detailed review has more than enough information to do this. The score and "gold award" are nothing but gimmicks people seem to like.

But as far as I'm concerned, I think it was fair for them to give two different cameras, with pros and cons significantly different, the same numeric score. In my opinion, that produces the best outcome: That anyone trying to make a decision between the two checks out the full review of both cameras and come to their own conclusions.

D

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
gigamel
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Déjà vu 1D4 D3S

In 2009
1D4 = 89%
D3S = 89%

vqro
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?

Seems to me that most everyone is doing the same thing. Such noncommittal evaluations so as not to appear "biased". It's a shame.

gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
In reply to vqro, May 23, 2012

Whatever!

Why do so many of us need to have our preferences validated by some external review. Especially when most of the people complaining have already decided which camera is subjectively the "best."

Did it occur to you that, perhaps these cameras are really close?

If you look at their camera comparison tool (not image comparison), the Canon beats the Nikon on features, performance, whereas the Nikon comes out ahead on picture quality, low-light, video (surprise?), and value. None of these differences are huge. Maybe give a point or two to the Nikon, but to me, that falls into the category of faux precision.

Frankly, look at the comparison tools. If performance and features are more important than image quality, then go Canon. If image quality is your priority, then Nikon.

vqro wrote:

Seems to me that most everyone is doing the same thing. Such noncommittal evaluations so as not to appear "biased". It's a shame.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
eric guzman
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
In reply to gatorowl, May 23, 2012

Frankly I care less about what DPR thinks about the D800 vs 5D3 or any other camera, I would not make a buying decision based on trheir recomendation at all, but, it looks really silly that they don't have the guts or the brains to put forward a real evaluation, I grant that both cameras are in the same league, some pros and cons....at the end, there may be some subjective factors that you can't measure, but, for them to have exactly the same ratings....hmmm...not buying that.....they could've done better..or not do at all....my 2 cents

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 23, 2012

rhlpetrus wrote:

The partial scores were certainly adjusted so that the final composites were same, they will never accept that as the truth, but we know better. And both get golden prizes. Interesting that the D7000, costing a 1/3 or the 5D3 and less than half the D800, scoring 80, didn't get the golden award. DPR's tests are only interesting re the RAW samples, the rest is irrelevant. But many starting their systems will take their judgement as meaningful.

Scoring these two cameras the same, and indeed, giving a basically average mark to the game changing camera that is the D800, completely invalidates their actual reviews. But there were many signals that their reviews had some hidden agendas for some time. For example, in the OM-D review when the reviewer made the claim that "you need to go to FF to get better IQ than the OM-D". What happened the whole group of APS-C cameras like the D7000, K-5, NEX-5N, NEX-7m K-01, X100, X-Pro1, that completely out-class the hot new Olympus m43s camera for IQ? As with their D800 - 5D3, in this instance, I think the phrase "hot new camera" is significant as we now see that popularity directly affects DPR review conclusions.

Many people on DPR seemingly won't buy a camera until DPR gives them the OK with a positive review. In my view, like Renato, the only useful part of DPR reviews is the RAW Studio Comparison tool.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
In reply to Maji, May 23, 2012

+1

D800 wins 5 categories (including IQ!), ties in 4 and loses slightly in 2 and the ratings say it's a tie. Absurd.

Maji wrote:

In my opinion, that review is a cop out and chickening out by DPR's reviewer.

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536
Like?
It's the politically correct thing to ...

do! Since the eighties in the USA we have been teaching our kids that everyone is a winner! We hand out trohpies to the losing players as well as the winners. All those kids that grew up thinking that they were Winners, even though they had no skills are now adults reviewing cameras.

DP review's number rating system and gold, silver and aluminium awards are total nonsense. Frankly, I wait around until they post up the studio comparison images, then I start making my decisions. I give no credence to all of their opinions regarding ergometrics, menus, knobs etc. I think I am fully capable of evaluating those non tangable attributes myself.

Just remember... no matter how bad your skills are, you are a WINNER! if you use a GOLD rated camera!
--
Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

LSR
LSR
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?

peteygas wrote:

It's a politically correct decision. If one camera was given even a one point higher rating than the other the result would be hot-headed brand-wars in the forums for the next few months.

Both reviews are very good and more in-depth than anything else I've seen. They're a worthwhile read for anyone looking to buy either camera. As for which camera is "better", well, that's subjective and really depends on one's needs and wants.

Joe P Doyle
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?

1. Hasselblad HD31D 80mm lens for sale on ebay, reason for sale D800
2. Email from Hasselblad this week 25% off all cameras and lenses. Reason D800

End of review : )

-- hide signature --
marike6
Like?
In reply to Joe P Doyle, May 23, 2012

Joe P Doyle wrote:

1. Hasselblad HD31D 80mm lens for sale on ebay, reason for sale D800
2. Email from Hasselblad this week 25% off all cameras and lenses. Reason D800

Funny we haven't seen any 5D3 vs 645D or Hasselblad H4D comparisons.

Honestly, I don't care much about the review because lately I really only look at the RAW comparisons, and read the conclusions. But you have to feel for Nikon a little, who pulled out all the stops with the D800 (highest res DSLR ever, a version with no AA-filter, incredible sensor with 14 EV DR and near D4 high ISO performance, D4 AF system, uncompressed video via HDMI out, etc, etc) and Canon slaps the old, fairly average 5D2 sensor in a slightly improved body, charges nearly $1000 more for it, and an important review site deems the two cameras are essentially equivalent. One of the great WTF moments in DPR history, IMO.

It was a pretty lame, and cynically PC conclusion by DPR.

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Josh152
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to marike6, May 23, 2012

I agree completely. The D800 has better DR, Resolution, and noise performance than not only the 5DIII but almost every other DSLR on the market.

Not to mention a bunch of little things like USB 3, Longer shutter life, better auto iso implementation, spot metering linked to any AF point, better bracketing both for exposure and WB, AF at F8 and -2 ev, better jpegs, ect. The only thing the 5DIII does better is FPS and then only by two unless you count the D800's crop modes than it's only by one. The D800 is clearly the better camera overall. The only reason to choose a 5DIII over it is if you really need those 6fps at 22mp or if you are stuck with a lot of canon glass.

fjpyyy
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
unless the OP or anyone of you is a big sponsor of this website ...

Seriously, it's their website, its their review, they can do whatever they want. They are entitled to their option, in this case, equal scores to both cameras.

Unless the OP or anyone of you is a big sponsor of this website, you should do one of the following,

1) stop complaining, because this FREE website provides wonderful information and forums for ppl to discuss photography
2) stop visiting this site if it annoys you so much

marike6
Like?
Re: unless the OP or anyone of you is a big sponsor of this website ...
In reply to fjpyyy, May 23, 2012

fjpyyy wrote:

Seriously, it's their website, its their review, they can do whatever they want. They are entitled to their option, in this case, equal scores to both cameras.

Unless the OP or anyone of you is a big sponsor of this website, you should do one of the following,

1) stop complaining, because this FREE website provides wonderful information and forums for ppl to discuss photography
2) stop visiting this site if it annoys you so much

The OP is voicing his opinion. What's the problem with that? The whole point of having a forum is to discuss various topics. If DPR, which presents itself as a professional review site, reaches a conclusion that defies all logic, seems to weight 6 fps with the ultimate IQ in a DSLR the same, people are going to object.

Although the OP is not really complaining, just pointing out the absurd DPR conclusion, some will complain and rightfully so as an equivalent scoring of these two cameras calls into question things like politics, ethics, business, etc. and for me anyway, removes them as a valuable resource for unbiased reviews.

5tve
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
Re: unless the OP or anyone of you is a big sponsor of this website ...

Pity they did not do a thorough examination of the tracking ability of both cameras in the performance autofocus section , no sequence of shots running towards or away from camera etc

spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881
Like?

PC has nothing to do with it.

It is greed, corporations are only concerned with short term profits. Amazon had to boost the ranking of the 5DIII which it can get and lower expectations of the D800 which they can't get.

They did the same thing with the 60D and D7000, called them equal despite every objective and subjective criteria indicated the D7000 was best. 60ds were sitting on shelves and D7000 were hard to get. The 5Diii needs the sales help the same way.

Or when they declared 1D4 equal in ISO to the D3s when there was over a 1 stop difference in their 102K ISO noise levels. It was to move lagging cameras they could get by the tons since they could not get many D3s's. Who will even remember the 1D4 in 5 years, while everyone will still admire the D3s?

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads