adios X-100

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001Gear list
Like?
adios X-100
May 23, 2012

Sold my X-100 yesterday. I'll try to keep this short. My first camera was a M-3 knockoff. A true rangefinder camera. It had a fixed 48 mm lens, no auto exposure or auto focus. Turn the focus ring watch the ghost image line up. Simple, fast, effective. My second camera was an SLR with a removable pentaprism and a shade for a waist level finder. These cameras are the foundation of my photographic education.

Fast forward to now. The X100 held out the promise of an experience similar to my first camera. It failed in that regard. It's impossible to actually focus manually. Of course, there are the modern workarounds. The auto focus is slow and not very reliable. Frustrating. Image quality is awesome. Not one complaint. Love working with the output in Lightroom.

I replaced this quirky camera with a Sony Nex-7. If you knew me at all, you'd consider this ironic as I'm a long time Sony basher. This camera changed my opinion of Sony. I get the oled viewfinder and a waist level finder in a very compact lightweight device that has twice the resolution of the Fuji for about the same money. Did I mention the very fast contrast detect auto focus? And, with a low cost adapter, I can mount my Canon glass.

Sorry Fuji. You started out on the right track but wandered off course with your goofy focus system.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-
200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Fuji X-100. Coming Soon: Sony Nex-7

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
usinare
Regular MemberPosts: 425
Like?
Re: adios X-100
In reply to Richard Ettinger, May 23, 2012

congrats on finding a camera that suits your needs. in the end its all about preference.
--
Fuji X-Pro1, 35mm f1.4,Grip, EF-X20, Canon 5D, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200 L/IS

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CraigArnold
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Good luck with the Sony.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?cat=16
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Sorry the Fuji isn't your kind of camera - but can someone explain to me why, when Fuji AF is perfectly useable, the frequent criticism of it is ' ... I can't stand the slow MF ....' Why use MF at all?

Like buying an automatic car .... then moaning it's manual gear shift option is clunky and appalling ... compared to a genuine thoroughbred stick-shift model.

I think Fuji included MF only as a sop to it's rival, potential Leica users - in use, I've never had any real issue with AF - no low-light problems, no speed issues, nothing. Been far better if they had omitted it entirely ...

Unlike many, I'm honest - I know I can't focus faster better/manually (apart from use of zone or pre-set focus ... or utilising wide-angle DOF coverage) than ANY modern camera ... and can't believe/understand why anyone claims they can ....

Richard Ettinger wrote:

Sold my X-100 yesterday. I'll try to keep this short. My first camera was a M-3 knockoff. A true rangefinder camera. It had a fixed 48 mm lens, no auto exposure or auto focus. Turn the focus ring watch the ghost image line up. Simple, fast, effective. My second camera was an SLR with a removable pentaprism and a shade for a waist level finder. These cameras are the foundation of my photographic education.

Fast forward to now. The X100 held out the promise of an experience similar to my first camera. It failed in that regard. It's impossible to actually focus manually. Of course, there are the modern workarounds. The auto focus is slow and not very reliable. Frustrating. Image quality is awesome. Not one complaint. Love working with the output in Lightroom.

I replaced this quirky camera with a Sony Nex-7. If you knew me at all, you'd consider this ironic as I'm a long time Sony basher. This camera changed my opinion of Sony. I get the oled viewfinder and a waist level finder in a very compact lightweight device that has twice the resolution of the Fuji for about the same money. Did I mention the very fast contrast detect auto focus? And, with a low cost adapter, I can mount my Canon glass.

Sorry Fuji. You started out on the right track but wandered off course with your goofy focus system.

-- hide signature --

malabito
Contributing MemberPosts: 996Gear list
Like?

Hi Richard,

I am on the same situation right now, selling my x100 to get into another system. Still debating between the nex7 or the new olympus. Regarding the nex7 any comments on your experiance coming from the x100. My biggest concern with the nex7 is the viewfinder, (same for the olympus), and lens selection. I will rather get the nex7 instead of the olympus but i dont seem to find any lens for the nex7 that will fit me. I love wide anlges, at least 28mm equivalent for street photography and the only nex7 lens as wide seems to be getting terrible reviews....

Richard Ettinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6

http://www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +5 more
Richard Thornton
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?

Sorry to here of your focusing problems. You and some others have had those issues. I liked my X100 so well (including focus) that I have added an X-Pro1. I could never focus the M3. M4, M6, M8, M9 with any accuracy in a hurry. I'm grateful to have Leica-quality images from a camera with accurate, dependable reasonably fast AF.

Your X100 will no doubt make some future owner very happy.
--
Dick Thornton

Richard Thornton's gear list:Richard Thornton's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Richard Ettinger
Like?
In reply to malabito, May 23, 2012

Noticed on your post that you have a lot of Nikon glass. There's an adapter for that.

I'm using my Canon glass on the Sony. The focus peaking feature makes manual focusing a snap.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Shomari
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Thornton, May 23, 2012

Ditto Richard's statement. As a new user I am simply thrilled with this sometimes quirky camera. It can focus faster than me. My eyes are older and I love the camera. The pictures seem sharp to me. I will post pictures whenever I can get the files to upload.

Regards,
--
H tyree
htree1@suddenlink.net

Shomari's gear list:Shomari's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
BeBa
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

Richard Ettinger wrote:

It's impossible to actually focus manually. Of course, there are the modern workarounds. The auto focus is slow and not very reliable.

I agree, manual focus is pretty bad. But autofocus is okay, X100 is not made for sport

BeBa's gear list:BeBa's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Canon EOS 10D +2 more
andrzejmakal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?

Richard Ettinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

I get your point and agree. MF - unusable, AF even after 1.30 still poor. In addition starting time - a joke. And I use 95mb/s card.
But I still own the camera. How long....?
--
http://andrzejmakal.tumblr.com/
http://maki.zenfolio.com/

andrzejmakal's gear list:andrzejmakal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680
Like?

So sorry it didn't work out for you. I also considered the Sony, but in the end, I wanted something with some style. Sony just seem like a computer attached to a lens.

Richard Ettinger wrote:

-- hide signature --

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?

reading your post, you bought the wrong camera.

The auto focus works fine, just that majority of the owners dont know how to use it....they think it a DSLR by half pressing the shutter...wont work.

Richard Ettinger
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 24, 2012

Just to be clear. I didn't sell the X-100 because of the focusing issue. I bought the NEX7 because of the greater resolution. I was prepared to keep both cameras. After using the NEX for a couple of weeks, I found that it offered everything the X100 offers plus way more. It's smaller, lighter, focuses faster, shoots faster and produces images that are extremely detailed. It's high ISO noise is lower. Did i mention the very cool tilting lcd screen on the back?

I've got a canon lens adapter for it and ordered an Oly OM lens adapter last night. Given all this, keeping the Fuji and the Sony didn't make sense.

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 24, 2012

What's your method for AF? Just curious....

intruder61 wrote:

The auto focus works fine, just that majority of the owners dont know how to use it....they think it a DSLR by half pressing the shutter...wont work.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to brudy, May 24, 2012

I'll never understand the compulsion to post a "why i decided camera sucked way and sold it for camera" thread starter. It's a statement.

apiza
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
Adios
In reply to Richard Ettinger, May 24, 2012

No se te va a extra├▒ar.

-- hide signature --
threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to RealXenuis, May 25, 2012

I'll never understand the compulsion to post a "why i decided camera sucked way and sold it for camera" thread starter. It's a statement.

Its not a statement about the camera, its a statement about his buying decision. As an NEX 5n and an X100 family, it will be interesting to see how quick his next post will be. And there's more than ample evidence on the web that the 7's resolution does not buy comparable IQ.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?
In reply to brudy, May 25, 2012

brudy wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

majority of the time, this way... http://picabroad.com/2012/04/10/fuji-x-pro-1-autofocus-trick/
.... when doing macro, just using the AE/L button to focus in MF.

averageguy
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 25, 2012

intruder61 wrote:

brudy wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

majority of the time, this way... http://picabroad.com/2012/04/10/fuji-x-pro-1-autofocus-trick/
.... when doing macro, just using the AE/L button to focus in MF.F

thanks for that link....interesting...I have only recently bought my x100 having sold my Olympus gear...so ideas like this are always interesting to consider

Lynxo
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to averageguy, May 25, 2012

Congrats on your Nex-7!

I had 5N for few months now and recently bought an X100.

Upgraded to the latest firmware and gave it a run few days. I have no issue either with slow focus. The one I have however, images were just blurry for OOC JPG's

even set to hard. Posted here for help and other members suggested using a tripod and set for lower ISO. Well I did that and the X100 images were still blurry.
5N shots tack sharp every time.

I have returned the X100 for replacement. I can only hope the new one is better. In the mean time, I upgraded the from the 5N to the 7. I also agree with you regarding price point the 7 is better value overall, in resolution, flexibility(lens change).

I keep reading on this forum, oh the X100 is not a DSLR, it's a pro camera and anyone else that's not a pro, really does not know how to use the camera.
You just can't half press shutter and expect a tack sharp photo,

What the hell does that mean? Any basic point and shoot can do this within reason. So a $1200 Pro X100 camera cannot do the basic task of half shutter
press, focus and take a nice sharp photo?

I came from the Fuji S1 and love Fuji. Yes, the X100 images can be great but at the expense of many lost photos/moments because of some design quirks.

How many ways can you focus using the X100? It's either half shutter press, MF with AF button or just MF. What's the big PRO user x100 secret and how what percentage of your shots are tack sharp every time?

The bashing of non pro X100 user's is getting ridiculous.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads