Best LCD 5DMkIII or D800?

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
Taikonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513
Like?
Best LCD 5DMkIII or D800?
May 23, 2012

On the back of the reviews by Lars Rehm he thinks D800 LCD screen rating is equal to the 5DIII. Do you agree?

To me here is an abviouse different between the two, one is clearly better. If Lars Rehm has got this one wrong then it put everything else he reviewed in particular his scorings in doubt.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Which one is better for you?
In reply to Taikonaut, May 23, 2012

Obviously?

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lali
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: Best LCD 5DMkIII or D800?

I suppose you mean you had both cameras side by side and you came to the conclusion that there is an "abviouse different" between the two?

Taikonaut
Like?
In reply to lali, May 23, 2012

lali wrote:

I suppose you mean you had both cameras side by side and you came to the conclusion that there is an "abviouse different" between the two?

Great, just what we need from a pair of smart a*se making an issue over typo error to divert attention. Guess you are a neyekon user then?

Taikonaut
Like?

Just going by the resolution alone
5DIII 1,040,000
D800 921,000

Press Correspondent
Like?

Taikonaut wrote:

No, I did not notice the typo. My point is that one appears obviously better to you and I honestly have no idea which of them you mean. Could you please clarify which one and why? Thanks!

Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
Clearly he thinks...
In reply to Taikonaut, May 24, 2012

...the D800 is good enough, as is the 5D3. I have compared them side-by-side, with an out-and-out Nikon fanboy (and fellow pro photographer) standing next to me, and the consensus is the 5D3 screen is sharper and more colour-accurate than the D800. The D800's screen is great, don't get me wrong, but the 5D3 was visibly better to both me and my colleague. That was also before we noticed the green cast on the D800 screen when shooting video - which is there for stills as well, but is far more critical for video where you're judging white balance and skin tones based on the LCD output.

Also slightly related to the quality of the LCD is the quality of Live View previews. Again this is more relevant to video capture, but Canon's LV implementation is noticeably superior to Nikon's, where pixelation at land beyond 100% really spoils the experience (and affects accuracy for focus pulling).

So yes, the D800 LCD probably rated equal to the 5D3 because it was 'good enough' for the reviewer. I'd wager both the 5D3 and D800 is 'good enough' for most serious working professionals today, and certainly for the vast majority of amateur and enthusiast photographers, hence the score parity on the reviews.

Jrobe
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Forget the pictures, which is best LCD

I would definitely worry about which LCD has the most resolution. The resolution of the pictures makes absolutely no difference.

steras
Contributing MemberPosts: 756
Like?
They're both...

inferior to better screens, worse than they could have been and better than they used to be.

Sharon999
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Pretty much the same
In reply to steras, May 24, 2012

We never noticed much difference between the screens while we had the D800.

S.

Sharon999's gear list:Sharon999's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: Forget the pictures, which is best LCD
In reply to Jrobe, May 24, 2012

Of course resolution of pictures makes a difference. But quality of the LCD screen makes a difference as well. Adds to overall usability and enjoyment of using the camera. The LCD on my 5D stinks out loud. Colors are off and you can't confirm good focus with it. Of course photos are great, just makes it more of a PITA to use.

Both screens seem to have plenty of detail, but I have seen samples of that green tint on the D800. Doubt it's there on all of them.

Jrobe wrote:

I would definitely worry about which LCD has the most resolution. The resolution of the pictures makes absolutely no difference.

Press Correspondent
Like?
Re: Forget the pictures, which is best LCD
In reply to Jrobe, May 25, 2012

Jrobe wrote:

You are trying to be smart, this is actually true. I am using manual focus Zeiss and rely on Live View. However, on D800 it is so horrible, it is virtually useless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4&hd=1

It was the only thing that has stopped me from switching to Nikon.

dholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115
Like?
In reply to Taikonaut, May 25, 2012

Taikonaut wrote:

5DIII 1,040,000
D800 921,000

(palms face and resists the urge to debate with fanboys)

davexl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Resist.
In reply to dholl, May 25, 2012

dholl wrote:

Taikonaut wrote:

5DIII 1,040,000
D800 921,000

(palms face and resists the urge to debate with fanboys)

I share your struggle.

I think he wants to get the DPR review overturned on appeal.

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads