Watching people take photos

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,447Gear list
Like?
Watching people take photos
May 23, 2012

I was recently at a graduation ceremony and got a chance to sit back and watch people TRY to take photos with those little point and shoot cameras. It was a joke. The grad would stop and wait for them to take the shot and the line would start backing up, so they would try to wait and just a moment after they started walking again the camera would take the shot. These all needed flash of course in the convention center we were in.

The camera phones were FAR worse. Many people gave up trying to get an image and told the grad to keep walking.

Static objects? Sure, but it was a waste trying to get a quick shot with the phones and less so with point and shoot cameras. trying to shoot a person walking by was a complete waste of time.

Why do people keep claiming that phone cameras will take over the whole market? Not until the make a camera that really takes images that just happens to have a phone inside.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike (Don't fall or collide with others)
Layer 2: Follow the rules (Don't be the cause of traffic crashes)
Layer 3: Use Lane position (Discourage other drivers mistakes)
Layer 4: Hazard Avoidance (Avoid other drivers mistakes and road hazards)
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection (Use protection when all else fails)

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,002Gear list
Like?
Re: Watching people take photos
In reply to bikinchris, May 23, 2012

This was discussed recently in tread about cameras ruining events - and, yes it is funny just observing some "techniques" and wondering what would the final shot be look alike. Actually, they are all on FB.

One of the best situation I ever saw was the guy with the baseball cap trying to take flash shot (and he was using DSLR!): flash popped up, he would bring the camera to the eye (and the cap would almost close the flash), he would take the shot, lower the camera to review, scratch the head and repeat. About 8 times! Then he gave up - brilliant, worth remembering.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don Simons
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZorSy, May 23, 2012

I love the people with small cameras and phones who hold them out at arms length with their hand shaking like a leaf. Often wonder what sort of photos they get. Probably better than I imagine.

Don Simons's gear list:Don Simons's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
People are Lazy

bikinchris wrote:

I was recently at a graduation ceremony and got a chance to sit back and watch people TRY to take photos with those little point and shoot cameras. It was a joke. The grad would stop and wait for them to take the shot and the line would start backing up, so they would try to wait and just a moment after they started walking again the camera would take the shot. These all needed flash of course in the convention center we were in.

The camera phones were FAR worse. Many people gave up trying to get an image and told the grad to keep walking.

Static objects? Sure, but it was a waste trying to get a quick shot with the phones and less so with point and shoot cameras. trying to shoot a person walking by was a complete waste of time.

Why do people keep claiming that phone cameras will take over the whole market? Not until the make a camera that really takes images that just happens to have a phone inside.

I spent one hour trying to figure out how to use my Moms new cell phone with all the B&W's and I couldn't make it take a decent photo. Give me a DSLR, I'm happy.

People are kidding themselves and missing out not using quality cameras and glass. There are some very good P&S's out there tho. Phones suck.

relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Example of sucky phone camera
In reply to Ubilam, May 23, 2012

I don't what phones you are using or if you haven't followed the latest phone cameras but they are no longer sucky.

Click on "original" to see full size pano.

relate2
Like?
Or mobile phone video
In reply to relate2, May 23, 2012
Ubilam
Like?
Re: Example of sucky phone camera

relate2 wrote:

I don't what phones you are using or if you haven't followed the latest phone cameras but they are no longer sucky.

Its a good 'snapshot'. Its not a great photo. The sky is all blown-out. Lots of chromatic blue haze too. It looks like a crappy p&s photo. It may be good enuff for you, but not me. (yeah, I looked at it full size too)

Ubilam
Like?
Re: Or mobile phone video

I'm not into video, sorry.

relate2
Like?

Ubilam wrote:

relate2 wrote:

Its a good 'snapshot'. Its not a great photo. The sky is all blown-out. Lots of chromatic blue haze too. It looks like a crappy p&s photo. It may be good enuff for you, but not me. (yeah, I looked at it full size too)

OK well you continue to lug around your 10lb DSLR, or better still realise "Oh hell, I left it at home in the cupboard"
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

UpNorthRN
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Tons of dslr's

It's funny you bring this up, because I was at a grad ceremony this last weekend and was blown away at how many people were using dslr's... Seriously, I figured about 1 in 5 people were carrying one. That just really surprised me, all the people walking around with their lowepro bags. I suppose such cams are more affordable now than ever.

BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
relate2 -- Cell-phones and PS take fine snaps outdoors sunny days

relate2 wrote:

Cell-phones take good snapshots outside on full sunny days (as do P&S cameras). However, indoors with a walking student and ambient light, not so much. Of course, these cell-phone snaps can be emailed to friends for quick viewing followed by immediate tossing - so they do have their place.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
Ubilam vs phone cameras

You are pedantic and irrelevant! The photo is not a "cr@ppy" P&S shot - it is (as you said yourself) a good snapshot.

Anybody pretending to get a cell phone with the aim of taking great photos is in for a disappointment. However, what was claimed was that cell phone cameras are quite all right for being carried around at all times, and saving pleasant images when the occasion is favorable.

And, BTW: I have seen (in this forum) much worse pictures taken with DSLR cameras. That your standards are above the quality achievable by P&S and cell phone cameras is very commendable, but makes your contribution for this topic irrelevant!
And - BTW 2 : There are some great photographs taken with very poor equipment!
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,447Gear list
Like?
You prove my point

This shot could be taken with anything short of a pinhole camera.

I guess you didn't read my original post very well. Static images where focus is not hard is what cell phone cameras are good at. Shooting people moving under poor light is what they are very bad at.

relate2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike (Don't fall or collide with others)
Layer 2: Follow the rules (Don't be the cause of traffic crashes)
Layer 3: Use Lane position (Discourage other drivers mistakes)
Layer 4: Hazard Avoidance (Avoid other drivers mistakes and road hazards)
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection (Use protection when all else fails)

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
CharlieDIY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

Yeah, well, consider how long and how ineffectively people have been using compacts and P&S to take shots at concerts, basketball games and similar events where flash is always needed. They get home and have nothing, but the next time they head for a similar event, they bring the same camera and use the same techniques.

Repeating an action continually while expecting different results has one of the two possible explanations: the repeater is stupid; the repeater is insane.

Your choice. It's the same as saying a phone camera can do it all. Stupid or crazy.

-- hide signature --
CharlieDIY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120
Like?
Re: Ubilam vs phone cameras
In reply to Pedagydusz, May 23, 2012

Pedagydusz wrote:

You are pedantic and irrelevant! The photo is not a "cr@ppy" P&S shot - it is (as you said yourself) a good snapshot.

Sure.

Anybody pretending to get a cell phone with the aim of taking great photos is in for a disappointment. However, what was claimed was that cell phone cameras are quite all right for being carried around at all times, and saving pleasant images when the occasion is favorable.

No. What was claimed, by the OP, was that cell phone cameras aren't worth the dynamite to blow up a gnat in specific situations that are not particularly difficulty.

And, BTW: I have seen (in this forum) much worse pictures taken with DSLR cameras. That your standards are above the quality achievable by P&S and cell phone cameras is very commendable, but makes your contribution for this topic irrelevant!

And - BTW 2 : There are some great photographs taken with very poor equipment!
--

No. Your comments are irrelevant. They have nothing to do with the OP's post. Phone cameras are good for snapshots, but little else.

Show me a cell phone camera that can do this, if we operate on your stationary subject concept:

I shot that yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway, handheld, but using my Pentax K20D. I cannot post the full-sized photo, as it is close to 23MBs in size. It's not a great photo either, but at least it has some depth and feeling.

-- hide signature --
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?

This reminds me of a trip with a local "photo club." A group of us were walking in a local park on a paved trail that ran parallel with a beautiful river. The "skilled" members with DSLRs stopped to take a quick shot. The others took photos while walking. One member just held his camera above the group and snapped- no focusing or composing whatsoever. I left the group, walked to the river (only 50 feet away), setup, and shot. The other members thought I was "crazy." They could not understand why I made the brief trip to the river when "it is muddy down there." Needless to say that was my first and last trip with the photo club.

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

relate2 wrote:

Shots like that work fine with a phone camera until the trees and houses start moving around and then you need a DSLR.

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?

Not the worst snapshot Ive ever seen, but not even close to the top of the pile. Highlights are blown, there is CA and blur. It was taken in absolutely ideal light conditions, in the best direction, etc. PREMIUM conditions yet the image is still just an OK snapshot. Many people are happy with these kind of images, many are not. Personally Id rather lug around 20lbs of DSLR gear and make a great image when I want/need rather than miss out on a once in a lifetime event (graduation). Ive gotten to the point where my nice P&S is almost obsolete because my small DSLR isnt really that much more work to carry yet it produces FAR superior images. Its all a matter of what youre trying to accomplish and how high your standards are. I have yet to see an image from a phone thats close to as good as my 5 year old P&S camera.

relate2 wrote:

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,017Gear list
Like?

relate2 wrote:

That's outdoors, midday. The kind of shots a disposable camera could nail. We are talking about the rest of life here, which frankly rarely happens at noon outdoors.

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, May 24, 2012

bikinchris wrote:

Because most people don't care. Just like most of you don't care about using your laptop's integrated speakers to listen to poorly-mastered music, don't care that your OS lacks a proper command-line enviroment, think Notepad is as good a text editor as any, write your documents in some awful WYSIWYMG software like Word and are, more often than not, running it all on some integrated, low-cost GPU that couldn't render its way out of a wet paper bag. It's a simple fact of life most of us are unsophisticated fools in most aspects of life, because there's so much to learn about everything that nobody could ever hope to excel at most of them and, obviously, few choose to include the exercise of photography among the rare exceptions. Thus, cellphones.

We laugh and laugh at those who decried Microsoft would be dead in a few years once consumers abandoned MS-DOS for a proper UNIX, but it seems we don't learn much from them as we do so.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads