Canon EOS 5D Mark III review published

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions
tomboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 924Gear list
Like?
Re: d800 clear winer
In reply to Brad Durack, May 23, 2012

you are so right..the nikon today is the king ...amazing images..The canon 5d mark 3 over price camera as it is is good for high iso ..indoor sports etc.. i plan to get one..when price drops below 3000

in the mean time i will enjoy my d800 ..it will be the main camera

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
Re: But the 5Diii is $500 more the D800!
In reply to snapper1967, May 23, 2012

it will lower.

snapper1967 wrote:

That's a big difference guys and gurls.

This is where canon messed up I think.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Clark666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III review published
In reply to Lars Rehm, May 23, 2012

Thank you for the great review. I especially like the dynamic range comparison page: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/19

It allows a direct comparison of a lot of cameras.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75673106@N00/

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
hunk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,213Gear list
Like?
Re: No mention of file size?
In reply to digitaljoe, May 23, 2012

A typical D800 file -on the most used setting- is some 44MB. Really not that much bigger.

digitaljoe wrote:

I haven't seen many reviews comment on file size being a positive or negative. It would seem to me that the 5DIII has an advantage on file size and post processing speed. I know hard drives are cheap these days but storing and processing files that are twice the size would cost additional computer processing time and twice the storage space.

It seems that the cameras are very close in IQ. Some minor differences in DR, max resolution, high iso, color tones, etc but for most people it's close. So if one camera can produce a "similar" image at half the file size is this not a significant advantage?

I realize the D800 at base iso is a clear winner in IQ but is it worth 2 times the file size? To some I'm sure the answer is yes but for me it's the key drawback of getting the D800.

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Leica M9 Canon Extender EF 2x II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF
hunk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,213Gear list
Like?
SD speed not a con

The slow SD speed is not mentioned as a con. It is however a real 'buffer killer' when used as RAW backup. Competitors (...) have a faster SD-bus.

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Leica M9 Canon Extender EF 2x II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF
iShootWideOpen
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
seriously flawed!

I find it ironic that the AF is the lowest rated feature (in conclusion) on this camera. Seriously???
Did you have an 8-year old kid do the testing for you?

iShootWideOpen's gear list:iShootWideOpen's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: On the fence!

You were SUPPOSED to say that the D800 is the clear winner, that Canon has been caught sleeping, that they are, in fact, "dead", and that the 5DIII is only good for video.

Suggesting that there is no "best" model, and that it's a complicated, personal decision for each shooter is going to get you torn to pieces.

Nice review, BTW. Look forward to giving it a closer look tomorrow.

Lars Rehm wrote:

well, in this situation there's no way we can win...
--
Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

Brad Durack
Contributing MemberPosts: 766
Like?
Re: On the fence!
In reply to rpiotr01, May 23, 2012

they way i see it, those using the cameras are the best reviewers

go to the nikon forum and see how few are taking about the 5d3

then have a look here, its the 1d, 5d, d800 forum

it can't be denied, canon has dropped the ball here, otherwise we wouldn't even be comparing the 5d3 to d800,

if it were that good we would be comparing it to d4

lets put the 5d in the 60d/7d forum, seeing thats the direction canon took

rpiotr01 wrote:

You were SUPPOSED to say that the D800 is the clear winner, that Canon has been caught sleeping, that they are, in fact, "dead", and that the 5DIII is only good for video.

Suggesting that there is no "best" model, and that it's a complicated, personal decision for each shooter is going to get you torn to pieces.

Nice review, BTW. Look forward to giving it a closer look tomorrow.

Lars Rehm wrote:

well, in this situation there's no way we can win...
--
Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Brad Durack . Photographer

http://www.braddurack.com

local movers N moving
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Good Review for a nice camera.
--
Local Movers and Moving services.

BJ1945
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: errors/edits

LR 4.1 RC2 is working great with my 5D Mk III.

Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?
Re: d800 clear winner Yepp

So true thats why Iam getting a D800. I keep hearing about great high iso from 5D3 over 5D2, no just heavy noise reduction then sharpening on jpg's. Image wise no improvment. But hey the camera body is way better over 5D2. If thats enough get a 5D3 then.

Brad Durack wrote:

For years canon 5dmk2 users have been using a defence, sure the auto focus isn't great, but the sensor is king of full frame....its all about the IQ... lost count of how many posts I've seen regarding canon 5d iq being more important than any auto focus shortcomings as compared to nikon

well now nikon is king, my a huge margin, it also has great auto focus, and frame rate aside, it is equal or better than any 5 d offering.... and the d800 frame rate keeps up with 5dmk2 anyway

Sure the fanboys will say, the 5d3 is enough, its perfect for me...... thats great, it doesn't change the simple fact, that nikon has been more innovative with the d800. It is a better camera, it has developed more. It has used improvements in technology and produced a camera that improves greatly on offerings from 3-4 years ago

canon has simply refined old bones, and fixed an auto focus system that was required anyway, thats not innovation..

Lars Rehm wrote:

This is the score that came out of our number-crunching and it makes sense. The Nikon is better in some areas, the Canon in others, you just have to figure out what is more important to you.
--
Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Brad Durack . Photographer

http://www.braddurack.com

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Lenscraft
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautifully Done, Lars

Personally I wonder why the Nikon folks are here attacking the EOS. It seems a rather insecure thing to do. Almost every week I get asked what system someone should buy, and my answer is always the same... if you own lenses, stick with that system, and otherwise they're both pretty damned good.

I don't feel a need to talk badly about any camera system. They're all wonderful tools in their own way, be it a Polaroid, a Lomo, or any other camera. So why all the hating?

Lenscraft's gear list:Lenscraft's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +4 more
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,611Gear list
Like?
Re: d800 clear winner Yepp
In reply to Daniel Clune, May 23, 2012

D800 is cheaper and has a better sensor still tied with 5DIII!! Not good. Something is amiss.

The entire pointing system is vague and meaningless and has in fact devalued their hard work on their reports everytime imo.

Then again, with all the animosity between the two camps and being a site that promotes both brands it is fair to say that DP made a well thought move to let the user decide which is a better camera rather than them telling.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +4 more
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,812Gear list
Like?
Clutching at straws now? NT
In reply to hunk, May 23, 2012
-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
yazki
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?

Grey, ... D800 > 5DMK3
Darken Green ... 5DMK3 > D800

yazki's gear list:yazki's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
5D3 = better camera, Sony = better sensor, Nikon = ???

Nikon = clever marketing

The way I read the reviews is that, aside from the Sony sensor, Canon is superior I'm many ways. I am upgrading from 5D classic and am not afraid of switching systems. I love the new Sony sensor, but I use manual focus Zeiss lenses and the castrated Live View in D800 just kills it for me. What is the use of the extra resolution, if the body cannot focus? Or Canon's engenius electronic shutter with only one curtain. If D800 had these, I would be on the waiting list, but as it is, I am still undecided. Perhaps D801, except by then I am sure Canon would back already.

The reviews are "politically correct" with the matching scores to avoid street riots and save lives. Far from gutsy, but DP Review had no other choice.

What ticks me off more Is the degradation of professionalism there. For example, the autofocus sample is out of focus. The focus in the guy at a diner (or wherever) is on his nose, not his eye. What is the point of trying if the race has been fixed already?

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,239
Like?
Re: 5D3 = better camera, Sony = better sensor, Nikon = ???
In reply to Press Correspondent, May 23, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

Nikon = clever marketing

no, nikon = clever engineering. avoid ones own weakness and concentrate on strength.

canon is the clever marketing winner, how else do you get people to swallow worse IQ for extra 500 bucks?

The way I read the reviews is that, aside from the Sony sensor, Canon is superior I'm many ways.

but it is the sensor that makes the stuff you keep in the end of the exercise, not the LCD screen, is it?

Even aside from the the sesnor, D800 is equally superior in many ways, like others have pointed out, much more useful spot metering and auto-iso and better video codec.

But I use manual focus Zeiss lenses and the castrated Live View in D800 just kills it for me. What is the use of the extra resolution, if the body cannot focus?

why would you think you cant focus without LV?

I know at the least 3 people use manual focus very often with D3 and D700, they dont have any problem letting the red dot in OVF do the focus check for them, all 3 are pro wedding shooters, who shoot 500+ frames a day easily.

Or Canon's engenius electronic shutter with only one curtain. If D800 had these, I would be on the waiting list, but as it is, I am still undecided. Perhaps D801, except by then I am sure Canon would back already.

Taikonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513
Like?

Lars Rehm wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii

Have fun!
--
Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

Lars. Please explain why the D800 LCD screen quality is given exactly the same score when the 5DIII LCD has higher resolution and more accurate than Nikon. D800 has innacurate green cast. Users of both system thinks the 5DIII LCD beat D800 by a country mile but this is not reflected in your score?

Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004
Like?
In reply to Bob Jameson, May 23, 2012

Bob Jameson wrote:

DPreview planned not to wear that flame suit. Genius.

lol. True indeed.

buellom
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
Re: 5DII raw IQ even slightly better

At least according to the final score comparison at the end of the review.

And I expected a real progress in iq compared with my old 5DII ...

-- hide signature --

http://www.freude-am-licht.de

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads