XP1 lens hoods and 39-52 step up?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
XP1 lens hoods and 39-52 step up?
May 22, 2012

Sas anyone tried a 39-52mm step up adapter yet? I ordered one but it seems like the threads are just deep enough in the lens to prevent me from screwing it in.

I could go for a 39mm protective filter in between and just remove the glass, but I was trying to avoid that.

Also, was wondering if anyone has tried out those vented metal hoods on the XP1 lenses, particularly the 18 and the 35. I was thinking about trying them out since I would be able to use the normal caps with the hoods in place as well as having access to turn a polarizer or grad ND. Do those hoods have 52mm filter threads?

pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Re: XP1 lens hoods and 39-52 step up?
In reply to dnercesian, May 23, 2012

You are correct, you will need a 39 mm filter or at least the filter ring to allow the step up to reach the lens threads.

Perry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to dnercesian, May 23, 2012

I bought the step-up and yes, you have to have a 39 filter to use the step up.

Also, i've read of several ppl buying and really liking those vented hoods. Go for it.

dnercesian wrote:

Sas anyone tried a 39-52mm step up adapter yet? I ordered one but it seems like the threads are just deep enough in the lens to prevent me from screwing it in.

I could go for a 39mm protective filter in between and just remove the glass, but I was trying to avoid that.

Also, was wondering if anyone has tried out those vented metal hoods on the XP1 lenses, particularly the 18 and the 35. I was thinking about trying them out since I would be able to use the normal caps with the hoods in place as well as having access to turn a polarizer or grad ND. Do those hoods have 52mm filter threads?

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?
In reply to RealXenuis, May 23, 2012

I use a vented hood and the step up from 39 - 52mm. I just bought a cheap UV filter and knocked out the glass so it could reach the threads. I just leave the step up on so I can just use the same caps and vented hood as I do on the other lenses.

Edit: Almost forgot to add, you don't always have to knock out the glass on filters. Many have a threaded ring or a clip that you can unscrew or remove and just pop the glass out.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads