Wedding shot Oly 45/1;8, no heavy PP

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?
Re: So Tedolph, if that is your name....
In reply to dpalugyay, May 22, 2012

dpalugyay wrote:

Welcome to my ignore list. You are one of about a half-dozen, but you deserve to be among their ranks.

Now you can be a jackass all you want and I won't have to read it. Unfortunately for everyone else, you are still a jackass.

Ah ah ah, love this..,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,799Gear list
Like?
Re: So Louis, is it......
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 22, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

No, it is a high key shot.

Well, fine.

That is an acceptable answer.

Anticipated as well.

Do you really think that is the most interesting thing about it?

No, but it is the thing that immediatley stands out, and detracts from the theme of the photo.

Is it not a brilliant (or badly misjudged) capture of body language?

It is one of Marla2008's best compositions.

I leave the rest of the analysis to the viewer.

tedolf wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

You are the world's worst photo critic. You want to be rude? The bride is looking distractedly away, the groom is looking obliviously at the camera. As a description of marriage, it is superb. As a "covering for a wedding photographer" shot it is perhaps best put tactfully to one side. I'm not sure which Marla had in mind - genius or disaster?

And what do we get from you? A fatuous, irrelevant and also technically incorrect comment on the exposure.

You'd be an entertaining creature around here if only you could disabuse yourself of the entirely erroneous belief you know anything about photography.

tedolf wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

Since I got flamed for poor pics and bad PP on the previous thread, I thought I'd post this one, which is from GX-1 and Oly 45/1.8, minimal PP.

it is over exposed, probably by a 1/2 stop, maybe even a full F stop.

Nothing is blown out but it is not supprising though, look at the white background, light dress, etc.

This is going to fool any meter except a spot meter.

Are you using an EVF?

If you have the brightness and saturation adjusted properly this is a big help in judging proper exposure outdoors. The LCD can be misleading in bright sunlight.

You can probably fix this in PP.

By the way there was no paid photog on the wedding, I was asked to cover, as a friend.

Marla.

Tedolph, RIP

ad hominem attacks aside, is it over exposed, or not?

Tedolph, RIP

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: @Louis
In reply to Marla2008, May 22, 2012

I'm sure they are the perfect couple. But weddings are tiring and the effort of smiling the whole time causes the odd slip. You can sell it the other way of course - while he does the social stuff, she, hand on his knee, looks into the distance to protect them from outside pressures...

Anyway, it's an appealing near candid, I like it. I'm not too sure about it as a wedding album shot - the convention would be them both looking in, the quirky one them both looking out, him looking in and her out is beyond quirky, in my view.

Marla2008 wrote:

Are you implying something about they relationship ?

Believe me, those two are just as happy to get married as it gets. They go way back. And the thrilled (almost smug ?) look on the groom face is there for a reason. They've lived together close to 10 years now, 3 of which he battled and fought to get her out of her previous marriage.

As far as this shot goes they were a little fazed, a little worried to get their clothes dirty from the stones steps, and a little stressed about the rest of the day schedule. Nothing out of the ordinary for the couple, right ?Nonetheless they are sitting really close to each other, in an intimate and almost abandoned manner. The fact the bride is looking away for a second causes me no worry

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Re: What can I say?
In reply to tedolf, May 22, 2012

I often like the "high key" look for wedding photos. Personally, I think somewhere between the original and the "corrected" version would suit my taste best.

I do like this minimally processed result better than the processing style in the earlier thread- the photo is much more flattering to the subjects.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
tedolf
Like?
In reply to dpalugyay, May 22, 2012

dpalugyay wrote:
Do you think it is someone else's name?

Welcome to my ignore list. You are one of about a half-dozen, but you deserve to be among their ranks.

Is that a compliment?

Now you can be a jackass all you want and I won't have to read it. Unfortunately for everyone else, you are still a jackass.

Actually, I am not a jackass; I am dead-and for good reason.

This constant fawning over the emperor's new clothes disgusts me .

TEdolph, RIP

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
tedolf
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 22, 2012

Marla2008 wrote:

dpalugyay wrote:

Ah ah ah, love this..,

Why, because you only want to be stroked?

Tedolph, RIP

windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to tedolf, May 23, 2012

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:
"too much exposure"

Does that work for you?

No. Define "too much."

"More than optimal"

How long would you like to play this game or do you have a point to make.

Anybody with half a brain will see that I've already made it.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
tedolf
Like?
This is a good exapmle of why.....
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 23, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:
It's the weakness - group shots such as this.

We need an AF 50mm f1.0.

SLR Magic have a non AF quite cheaply, and AF for MFT lenses is pretty easy.

Despite the meme going around at the momenet though, that's almost the only time DoF control is lacking.

And in this case of course, it is NOT lacking, because the soft-enough background sets the scene.

You need fierce DoF control when the background is rubbish bins and crackheads.

Melbourne Park wrote:

tedolf wrote:

stimmer wrote:

The pic was slightly overexposed, so I just curved it a little bit.

Hope you don't mind.

much better.

Tedolph, RIP

Like the photo, and the corrections. I thought the previous ones really captured the occasion too. I did not comment though.

But ... interesting how the 45mm t F/1.8 doesn't blur the background much. I have the 45mm too ... but for two people, one has to step back, and I think that with an FF sensor, the background would be quite a bit more blurred.

I wonder with the 25mm Leica Panasonic lens (which I have ordered but will not arrive until July some time) whether using that closer up, would there have been more background blur, but also more importantly, would there be the same pleasing image accuracy of the happy couple?

paying attention to the background matters.

This is obviously a posed shot. The "arrow" door hinge sticking out of the Groom's back is a distraction. Had Marla moved mayby two feet to the left, the arrow would be behind him and the corner of the building wouldn't be shooting out of the bride's head. Marla had all the time in the world to set this up but her mania for constanlty bluring out backgrounds has blinded her to the importance of checking the back ground before she shoots. It is not second nature to her and does not come automatically as it does for most of us. This was also evident in most of the photo's in the related thread-she didn't have herself positioned properly, sometimes by just a foot or two.

As a result, what is otherwise a very good composition is ruined. The exposure issue can be easily handled in PP because it is not too far off; but the background issue can not .

As politely as I can say it Marla, this is why being a one trick pony is not a good thing.

TEdolph, RIP

Bery
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to windsprite, May 23, 2012

Marla,

on a slightly different subject, how do you like the GX1 and the Oly 45mm work together? Any specifics you would like to point out?

I am looking into getting a GX1 and maybe the Oly 45mm 1.8 and also the 20mm pany.

Thank you
--
Beat

tedolf
Like?
The only point you infered was that .....

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:
"too much exposure"

Does that work for you?

No. Define "too much."

"More than optimal"

proper exposure is whatever the photographer wants it to be.

Most of us don't buy that B.S.

Julie

TEdolph

tedolf
Like?
Nobody was rude!
In reply to MAubrey, May 23, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

I'm actually from Chicago. I'm in BC for grad school.

But again, I apologize for my words to you as well. I'm the rude American.

Marla was right to point out that rudeness isn't limited to any on group.

Someone's ego was brused but if Marla has an example of rudness let her post it.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

Tedolph

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
In reply to tedolf, May 23, 2012

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:
"too much exposure"

Does that work for you?

No. Define "too much."

"More than optimal"

Do we have to get into A.A.'s Zone Sytem?

Julie

Tedolph, RIP

i know what Julie will say next
'what is optimal'?

I've seen someone get banned because someone made a similar statement about exposure, and when they repeatedly asked what is the correct exposure down came the ban hammer.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,168
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 23, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

You are the world's worst photo critic.

Oh, please, you can disagree with Tedolf on many occasions, but give him a credit here, almost every unbiased photographer would say the same. Take this picture and show it to ten people who have some photographic experience and 10 out of 10 will recommend lowering the exposure and increasing contrast. The other PP-ed picture looks much better, though it has another problem of the faces significantly varying in tonality, which I'm afraid requires separating into layers in PS and treating them differently, which is a lot of work.

Then as you noticed those people on the photo are looking in different directions, so they don't look like a couple. All in all, the biggest problem of the photo is that it diverts attention to all those details instead of attracting attention to the couple.

Finally, I'm actually glad seeing Tedolf resurrected, this forum needs some sanity. I don't remember who said that, but it's very true: the most boring place is where everybody always agrees with everybody.

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to Bery, May 23, 2012

Bery wrote:

Marla,

on a slightly different subject, how do you like the GX1 and the Oly 45mm work together? Any specifics you would like to point out?

I am looking into getting a GX1 and maybe the Oly 45mm 1.8 and also the 20mm pany.

Thank you
--
Beat

Hi Beat, I've had all three : 45, 20, and 25. As useful as is the 45 to try an emulate DOF control of larger sensor, and as brilliant and sharp wide open as it may be, I still use the 25/1.4 by default 90% of the time, because it offers nearly as much subject isolation Along with much more "character", almost like an older, manual lens, with micro contrast and color depth in spades. The 45 is very nice but a little "sterile" looking to me (as in clinical). The 20 is great for pocketability, but once you've shot the 25, it gets no love...

To be brief, the 45 is great to have, but the 25 is a good notch above. Both work great and focus very fast on the gx1.

forpetessake
Like?
In reply to dpalugyay, May 23, 2012

dpalugyay wrote:

That's beyond being rude, it's childish. And it's much worse, because rudeness reflects the manners, while childishness says a lot about intellect.

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, May 23, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Oh, please, you can disagree with Tedolf on many occasions, but give him a credit here, almost every unbiased photographer would say the same. Take this picture and show it to ten people who have some photographic experience and 10 out of 10 will recommend lowering the exposure and increasing contrast. The other PP-ed picture looks much better, though it has another problem of the faces significantly varying in tonality, which I'm afraid requires separating into layers in PS and treating them differently, which is a lot of work.

Then as you noticed those people on the photo are looking in different directions, so they don't look like a couple. All in all, the biggest problem of the photo is that it diverts attention to all those details instead of attracting attention to the couple.

So by your standards a couple must look in the same direction all the time ?? That makes for a lot of doggy style sex ?!... Which must get old after a while, don't you think ??

Finally, I'm actually glad seeing Tedolf resurrected, this forum needs some sanity. I don't remember who said that, but it's very true: the most boring place is where everybody always agrees with everybody.

forpetessake
Like?

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:

tedolf wrote:

windsprite wrote:
"too much exposure"

Does that work for you?

No. Define "too much."

"More than optimal"

Julie

In Tedolf's place I wouldn't bother answering childish posts.

forpetessake
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 23, 2012

Marla2008 wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

So by your standards a couple must look in the same direction all the time ?? That makes for a lot of doggy style sex ?!... Which must get old after a while, don't you think ??

No need to be rude Marla, and I guess your last question is a rhetorical one, because you obviously don't want to hear what I think.

Bery
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 23, 2012

Hi Marla,

thank you for the input. I guess I have to keep saving a bit longer.

-- hide signature --

Beat

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Somebody will mention Zombies soon.
In reply to forpetessake, May 23, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

I tend to agree, I miss all the 150 post threads. Lovely stuff!

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads