Pentax gets it...

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
Pelex
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Pentax gets it...
May 22, 2012

The new Pentax K30 features Full HD 1080P @ 24,25,30 FPS...720P @ 60/50 FPS?
At least PAL countries can rejoice with this.

Anyone else hoping Olympus will address variable framerates with a firmware update
(if it can be done at all) for the E-M5 in the near future?

Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,419
Like?
Re: Pentax gets it...
In reply to Pelex, May 22, 2012

They also "get" AA batteries. I love my AA-based cameras, and the K30 has actually causes me a few brief thoughts of thinking I should just buy it and extend the life of my Pentax equipment rather than jumping ship to the M43 system.

But I fully expect the GH3 video to be unsurpassed. Decisions, decisions...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?

Funny - I would be just as happy if the cameras didn't have video.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

JimSocks
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, May 22, 2012

i doubt pentax gets it bro. k01 looks like a disaster.

Pelex
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
In reply to JimSocks, May 22, 2012

Hear dat.
And I'm a big fan of industrial design too....but the K-01 is hiddy.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,703Gear list
Like?
What Pentax needs to get....

Pelex wrote:

Anyone else hoping Olympus will address variable framerates with a firmware update

is some reliability into it's line-up. Focusing issues, SDM failures, poor flash capability and inconsistent zooms hamper what should be a decent brand. Having briefly tried Pentax I was disappointed by several issues which pointed to poor QC. If they could resolve this they would sell more camera's, I could care less about video, I can get great HD video from a point and shoot if I want it.

Olympus aren't perfect but I've never had a major problem with any Oly camera or lens and I've bought a lot of them over the years.

As for the K-01, I think someone was smoking some strong stuff when they thought of that one.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,026Gear list
Like?
AA batteries
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 22, 2012

Sean Nelson wrote:

They also "get" AA batteries. I love my AA-based cameras, and the K30 has actually causes me a few brief thoughts of thinking I should just buy it and extend the life of my Pentax equipment rather than jumping ship to the M43 system.

I disagree about the universal appeal of the AA batteries. If you assume that you are somewhere where you can't charge your Li ion, and then you just walk in to a store and by some alkaline AA, then the actual experience may be quite disappointing. Typically digital cameras require AA batteries that can supply high current, which alkalines cannot, and then you won't get more than a few shots out of them. And anyway, I don't think it's any easier to find a shop that sells AA, than it is to find a functioning power outlet.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
Re: AA batteries
In reply to Vlad S, May 22, 2012

Not exactly the most environmentally friendly thing either.

Vlad S wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I disagree about the universal appeal of the AA batteries. If you assume that you are somewhere where you can't charge your Li ion, and then you just walk in to a store and by some alkaline AA, then the actual experience may be quite disappointing. Typically digital cameras require AA batteries that can supply high current, which alkalines cannot, and then you won't get more than a few shots out of them. And anyway, I don't think it's any easier to find a shop that sells AA, than it is to find a functioning power outlet.

Vlad

-- hide signature --
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, May 22, 2012

but yet it has no flip out lcd screen which is crucial for a video centric dslr and it also can barely catch 8 raw in a row when shooting...not that impressed. GH2 does better.

"This slower frame rate also allows the K-30 to offer slightly longer bursts of shots than the K-5; capturing up to of 30 JPEGs or 8 Raw files (which slightly edges the K-5's 26 JPEG/8 Raws)."

DVSteve
Contributing MemberPosts: 909
Like?
Re: What Pentax needs to get....
In reply to papillon_65, May 22, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

is some reliability into it's line-up. Focusing issues, SDM failures, poor flash capability and inconsistent zooms hamper what should be a decent brand.

Completely agree with you. I can't believe how many Pentaxians have sent their bodies or lenses in multiple times to have this or that repaired, yet act like that is the nature of the beast.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/

Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
I was about to post a thread about that
In reply to JimSocks, May 22, 2012

The K-01 being someone's idea looking at his kid when he built a Lego camera, now the K-30, for me, it looks like a golf glove, or some sort of high tech rugged flashlight. Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax, and I drooled over the LX back in the 70s and 80s, my K10D was one of the most beautiful cameras I have ever seen, and the vertical grip fitted so smoothly, it almost looked like it came with it.

But once they went with Ricoh, apparently they lost the wood stick in the design department.

Instead of keep banging the dead horse of APS-C (For anyone other than Canon, Nikon or Sony, it is a dead horse), why not jumping into mirrorless with both hands and feet, but with a really revolutionary design. Or better, join m43 and be ready to sell TONS of lenses.

I think it might be the milking cow of the K mount, which they think will keep feeding them milk forever, and is as dry as sand.

I feel really sorry for them.

JimSocks wrote:

i doubt pentax gets it bro. k01 looks like a disaster.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Not really

But I guess that some people hope Panasonic will do this?

Personally I couldn't care less for videography.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122
Like?

Vlad S wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

The issue is that once your battery is gone sometimes it is difficult to find another one. You will say it is easily available but it is not the case.

For example I bought R1 in 2006 (Jan or Feb), I wanted to buy another battery for it. Went to biggest electronic store Yodobashi in Japan, they said its not there. Tried Soft Map, they also said not available. Finally I requested them to order for me, it took few days and I got it.

This is the situation in Japan now think you are in India then forget about the battery. 5-6 years and your camera is dead.

Not to mention I paid 7000 yen for battery again.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218Gear list
Like?

Vlad S wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Vlad

And compared to the stock Li ion batteries, AAs seem so much heavier for the amount of power and capacity you get...

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,419
Like?

Sean Nelson wrote:

Vlad S wrote:

I disagree about the universal appeal of the AA batteries. If you assume that you are somewhere where you can't charge your Li ion, and then you just walk in to a store and by some alkaline AA, then the actual experience may be quite disappointing.

I hear this argument against AA batteries a lot, but it completely misses the point. Nobody (with a clue) who has an AA-powered camera uses alkalines, so claiming that AA-powered cameras are no good because alkalines don't last is a specious line of reasoning.

In fact I've never ever had to walk into a shop to buy AA batteries while shooting with my camera. It's their other benefits that I find to be so compelling. The reasons I like them so much are (roughly in order from most important to least):

• hybrid NiMH batteries have a very long shelf life - much better than LiIon. I've used batteries that haven't been charged for well over a year and gotten over 400 shots out of them. They're "maintenance-free" - I can carry around a spare set of batteries and never have to worry about when I charged them last.

• AA batteries give you a range of options to choose from depending on your situation. You can buy high-capacity rechargeables if you do a lot of shooting in a short period of time and your top priority is the number of shots. You can buy the hybrid NiMH batteries if you don't shoot so intensively and you want the batteries to last even when you're not using them. And if you're going to be out of range of recharging options you can buy non-rechargeable lithium batteries which, in my experience, are good for aroun 2,000 shots. With LiIon you get what you get and you'd better be happy with it.

• I can share batteries between my cameras and my other equipment, so when I bring my DSLR and my compact I don't have to bring different sets of spares for each. And I can reallocate batteries from other equipment as spares for my cameras if I need to, thus reducing the number of dedicated spares I need to keep.

• I also don't have to worry about dealing with multiple different chargers for all the different battery types I'd have to use.

• I never have any problems with the manufacturer arbitrarily changing the battery type with every new model, thereby forcing me into adding yet another squadron into a vast fleet of batteries.

• I have a smart charger that tells me the state of my batteries. I know exactly how much capacity they have and whether or not they're degrading. That sort of thing is a lot harder to come by for proprietary batteries.

• AA batteries, even name brand ones, are reasonably priced .

• AAs are not proprietary , and so I never have to worry about their continued availability . I was forced to switch cell phones because I couldn't get the old batteries any more, even though the phone worked perfectly well. I'd just as soon not be forced into a similar situation with my camera, which I expect to last for a decade or more.

These benefits are important to me, and I know if I buy a Li-Ion camera I'm really going to miss them. So I give kudos to Pentax for being the only DSLR manufacturer I know of that supports AA batteries.

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 22, 2012

Sean Nelson wrote:

• I never have any problems with the manufacturer arbitrarily changing the battery type with every new model, thereby forcing me into adding yet another squadron into a vast fleet of batteries.

is the constant change of batteries for different models really necessary, or do manufacturers use it as a way of generating a little more income? Thank heavens for generic batteries

-- hide signature --

the night is dark.....and full of terriers

zxaar
Like?
In reply to DVSteve, May 22, 2012

DVSteve wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

is some reliability into it's line-up. Focusing issues, SDM failures, poor flash capability and inconsistent zooms hamper what should be a decent brand.

Completely agree with you. I can't believe how many Pentaxians have sent their bodies or lenses in multiple times to have this or that repaired, yet act like that is the nature of the beast.

As a long time pentax user, I have no clue as to what you two are talking about. Never had any problems with any pentax yet. If I go with what you said I could not have made into second week, yet I think I have had pentax for last 15 years or so.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
In reply to zxaar, May 22, 2012

Me neither. I was a Pentax user for 6 years only, but I have a good friend who's been using Pentax for more than 40 years, and have never had any issue like those you mention.

My only gripe with my K10D was a severe banding problem above ISO 320, which I never had it fixed. I sold my camera with the problem, and the buyer was going to take it to Pentax. Other than that, it was a very nice camera. In fact, I miss some of its features, like TAv, Sv, hyper program, to name a few.

zxaar wrote:

DVSteve wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

As a long time pentax user, I have no clue as to what you two are talking about. Never had any problems with any pentax yet. If I go with what you said I could not have made into second week, yet I think I have had pentax for last 15 years or so.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
zxaar
Like?
banding
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 22, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

Me neither. I was a Pentax user for 6 years only, but I have a good friend who's been using Pentax for more than 40 years, and have never had any issue like those you mention.

My only gripe with my K10D was a severe banding problem above ISO 320, which I never had it fixed. I sold my camera with the problem, and the buyer was going to take it to Pentax. Other than that, it was a very nice camera. In fact, I miss some of its features, like TAv, Sv, hyper program, to name a few.

K10d had a banding issue, i was never aware of that. It seems Sony has fixed the banding problems in their newer sensors. Anyway many times I feel like buying k10d, the camera felt very good in hands when I tried it.

-- hide signature --

szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Specs of 2010 - without 1080p60 Pentax does not get jack...

...sh!t, period.

Olympus neither but at least they admit it's nothing more than an extra to record your kid's school play etc, nothing else.

Beyond music videos and indie shorts a camera-based video is a broken approach anyway: too many limitations, stupid ergonomics etc all result in limited use.

I want to see an updated AG-AF100 camcorder, with better ergonomics, better sensor, removable parts (handle, mic etc.), same MFT-compatible mount, all under $3k and I'll be first in line.

Pelex wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads