Do you convert NEF to DNG?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
ALBAS Photography
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: Do you convert NEF to DNG?
In reply to PK24X36NOW, Apr 7, 2013

To answer the question if I convert NEF to DNG....
Yeah, absolutely!  Why?  Well.... why not?

*It's easy and painless in Lightroom
--choose import location, start the process, get up, make a coffee or get a drink, and by the time I get back to my desk, it's done, import and conversion.

*Reduces file size
--Even though memory/storage prices are very cheap these days, if the program offers and it doesn't "harm" my original files, why the heck not? And believe it or not, but if you routinely have to process thousands of files, saving between 15-20% of space per file DOES make a difference.  
*Convenience
--While some people like them, I tend to want a simplified workflow and backup.  The less organizing I have to deal with, the better.  All the info is contained in the DNG, so less work for me having to keep track of / organize any sidecar files.   
*Even though I personally don't believe that NEFs will go the way of the dinosaurs anytime soon, I can say with careful optimism that I believe DNG will always be supported by Adobe Software.  So this really isn't that much of point for me, just an extra possible bonus in addition to the above-mentioned reasons.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruceh
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
Re: ColorChecker Question (OT)
In reply to michaeladawson, Apr 7, 2013

michaeladawson wrote:

bruceh wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

I only convert to DNG when I want to open a ColorChecker Passport shot in the X-Rite software, or Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

Robin,

Can the ColorChecker DNG Profile created with the X-Rite software be applied to a raw file in adobe software (e.g. ACR).  That is, does one have to convert the photo to DNG before applying the DNG Profile?

Yes.  That is the whole point of the CC software.  They build camera profiles that appear in your ACR profiles tab along with Standard, Portrait, Vivid, etc, etc.

You load any raw file into ACR and choose your camera profile of choice from the dropdown.

Thanks Mike.  The Adobe tutorials talk about applying the profile to DNG files (naturally), but it seems like the profile could be applied to a non-DNG raw file.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,816
Like?
In reply to bruceh, Apr 7, 2013

bruceh wrote:

Thanks Mike.  The Adobe tutorials talk about applying the profile to DNG files (naturally), but it seems like the profile could be applied to a non-DNG raw file.

Yes, ColorChecker Passport profiles can be applied to NEFs. However, they are camera specific. You cannot apply a profile created from a D800E to a NEF from a D800.

The process is as follows. Take a RAW shot of the ColorChecker Passport. Convert it to DNG. Open the DNG in either the X-Rite software, or Adobe DNG Profile Editor. Save the profile.

Then the profile can be used for any NEF from that model camera in ACR or Lightroom 4.

You might also be interested in looking at QPcard 203 book. It's software reads NEFs directly. They don't need to be converted to DNG. I tend to use QPcard profiles a little more often than ColorChecker Passport, but I use both. It depends on which gives me results I like better.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

bruceh
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 7, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

bruceh wrote:

Yes, ColorChecker Passport profiles can be applied to NEFs. However, they are camera specific. You cannot apply a profile created from a D800E to a NEF from a D800.

The process is as follows. Take a RAW shot of the ColorChecker Passport. Convert it to DNG. Open the DNG in either the X-Rite software, or Adobe DNG Profile Editor. Save the profile.

Then the profile can be used for any NEF from that model camera in ACR or Lightroom 4.

Thanks Robin!

-bruceh

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads