Which old lenses fit 600d

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Which old lenses fit 600d
May 22, 2012

I often go to car boot sales, antiques fairs etc, & often see old camera equipment for sale at what seem like low prices. I recently saw a 2X teleconverter for a Pentax for £6. Some lenses were makes that as a relative novice, I did not recognise. I know they would have to fit Canon mount, but could anyone give some names of older lenses, besides Canon, that would be worth looking at? Wouldn't want to miss a bargain through ignorance. Thanks. lee uk

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 11,459Gear list
Like?
Re: Which old lenses fit 600d
In reply to happysnapper62, May 22, 2012

Try the Canon SLR Lens forum, but I strongly suspect that the answer is very, very few that are worth having.
--
Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: Which old lenses fit 600d
In reply to Chris R-UK, May 22, 2012

Chris R-UK wrote:

Try the Canon SLR Lens forum, but I strongly suspect that the answer is very, very few that are worth having.
--
Chris R

Thanks Chris. It's not like I need them. I just get these gearhead moments, & spend more time looking for stuff than using it. I really must get a grip!!!! lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Which old lenses fit 600d
In reply to happysnapper62, May 22, 2012

happysnapper62 wrote:

I often go to car boot sales, antiques fairs etc, & often see old camera equipment for sale at what seem like low prices. I recently saw a 2X teleconverter for a Pentax for £6. Some lenses were makes that as a relative novice, I did not recognise. I know they would have to fit Canon mount, but could anyone give some names of older lenses, besides Canon, that would be worth looking at? Wouldn't want to miss a bargain through ignorance. Thanks. lee uk

The only lenses that will fit directly are those with Canon EF or EF-S mounts. The older Canon FD lenses, sadly, won't fit.

You can, if you really want to, fit other lenses such as those with Nikon mounts to your camera with an adapter but these will generally work completely manually so you won't have autofocus or auto exposure. You are generally better off getting Canon lenses and having everything work.
--
Leonard Migliore

 Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,475Gear list
Like?
Re: Which old lenses fit 600d
In reply to happysnapper62, May 22, 2012

I assume you mean really old, so I will leave out EF mount lenses.

Mainly, you are looking at the following mounts which can be used with a simple, cheap ebay adapter:

Olympus OM
Pentax M42 screwmount
Nikon F (only with manual aperture ring)
Contax/Yashica
Leica R
Pentax K, sometimes requiring slightly modification of aperture tab.
Most medium format lenses

The ones that won't work:

Canon FD or FL
Minolta
rangefinder lenses.

You basically can use them in M or AV mode and control the aperture and focus manually on the lens.

As for which specific lenses in those mounts are good and worth using? Well there are whole forums dedicated to that alone!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: Which old lenses fit 600d
In reply to Leonard Migliore, May 22, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

happysnapper62 wrote:

I often go to car boot sales, antiques fairs etc, & often see old camera equipment for sale at what seem like low prices. I recently saw a 2X teleconverter for a Pentax for £6. Some lenses were makes that as a relative novice, I did not recognise. I know they would have to fit Canon mount, but could anyone give some names of older lenses, besides Canon, that would be worth looking at? Wouldn't want to miss a bargain through ignorance. Thanks. lee uk

The only lenses that will fit directly are those with Canon EF or EF-S mounts. The older Canon FD lenses, sadly, won't fit.

You can, if you really want to, fit other lenses such as those with Nikon mounts to your camera with an adapter but these will generally work completely manually so you won't have autofocus or auto exposure. You are generally better off getting Canon lenses and having everything work.
--
Leonard Migliore

Cheers Len. It is however the film 300 body not digital 300d, & the EF-S lenses I have 18-55 & 55-250 wont fit. It was the flash I wanted really & seller wanted to sell camera & flash as one lot. Worth it though. lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Extreme caution with old flashes
In reply to happysnapper62, May 22, 2012

It was the flash I wanted really & seller wanted to sell camera & flash as one lot.

Many old flashes used very high trigger voltages, far higher than can be safely used on a DSLR. Using such a flash would fry a modern DSLR.

Here's a rough guide, but note that many old flashes won't be listed :

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

In addition to that caution note that flashes which were TTL on film bodies will generally not be TTL on DSLRs. You really need a modern flash to get the dedicated functionality. There are plenty of c#relatively cheap third party dedicated flashes suitable for DSLR and I'd suggest you ask on the relevant DSLR forum about that.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: Extreme caution with old flashes
In reply to Deleted1929, May 22, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

It was the flash I wanted really & seller wanted to sell camera & flash as one lot.

Many old flashes used very high trigger voltages, far higher than can be safely used on a DSLR. Using such a flash would fry a modern DSLR.

Here's a rough guide, but note that many old flashes won't be listed :

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

In addition to that caution note that flashes which were TTL on film bodies will generally not be TTL on DSLRs. You really need a modern flash to get the dedicated functionality. There are plenty of c#relatively cheap third party dedicated flashes suitable for DSLR and I'd suggest you ask on the relevant DSLR forum about that.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Thanks for the info Steve. The flash is a Canon 380EX Speedlight. It is a discontinued model & seems to work ok on my 600d. However, now that you have allerted me to a possible problem, I will make absolutely certain it is compatible before I use it again. Cheers. lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,475Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme caution with old flashes
In reply to happysnapper62, May 22, 2012

happysnapper62 wrote:

Thanks for the info Steve. The flash is a Canon 380EX Speedlight. It is a discontinued model & seems to work ok on my 600d. However, now that you have allerted me to a possible problem, I will make absolutely certain it is compatible before I use it again. Cheers. lee uk

The 380EX is a newer era flash. No worries there. Really we are talking flashes from the 70s and 80s that would be risky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: Extreme caution with old flashes
In reply to tkbslc, May 22, 2012

tkbslc wrote:

happysnapper62 wrote:

Thanks for the info Steve. The flash is a Canon 380EX Speedlight. It is a discontinued model & seems to work ok on my 600d. However, now that you have allerted me to a possible problem, I will make absolutely certain it is compatible before I use it again. Cheers. lee uk

The 380EX is a newer era flash. No worries there. Really we are talking flashes from the 70s and 80s that would be risky.

Thanks. I would hate to think I wasted £3 !!!!!! he he. Really appreciate your info. Cheers. lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads