Can someone talk me into a K-5?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
CollinFX45
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Can someone talk me into a K-5?
May 22, 2012

Silly title, I know, but seriously! Here's where I am and if anyone has some time to provide their thoughts, I will be appreciative.

I shot (and am now shooting) Sony full frame. Love it, have a few carefully selected primes and don't plan to abandon this system anytime soon. Unfortunately, it's just about the worst setup for travel and most of my "every day" shots. So, I bought into the micro 4/3 setup with an Olympus Pen and a Panasonic GF3 for a truly portable, "tiny" camera. I love the GF3 and 14mm pancake/20mm pancake. It's great quality, but it isn't a DSLR. Now I would never wish three systems upon my worst enemy, BUT, keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right?

I've admired the K-5 since its release and have always appreciated Pentax. Reminds me of my highschool photography days and I'm pretty sure I still have a few SMC lenses around, though I'm sure they're nothing special. Call me crazy, but yesterday I spent the majority of the day on camerasize.com comparing the K-5 to many other popular APS-C-sized cameras. Uh, there isn't anything to compare. The logical choice for me was to buy an Sony A57 or A580, I suppose, but even those just don't compare handling/size-wise to the K-5. For a camera I can carry around that actually has a viewfinder, actually has a decent lens assortment, has incredible performance and has a weather-sealed body, I see no other competitor even close. Am I correct in thinking this? I'm done buying lenses for m4/3 and there isn't anything I really need for Sony. The funny thing is that if I bought a Sony crop-sensor body, I'd still be buying into two systems because the lenses are only interchangeable one way. I'd still need APS-C glass at that point and I just don't like the options. For me, my dream "walk around" camera would be a K-5 with a 35/2.4, probably 50/1.5 (F?) and perhaps something wide like the 10-17mm (which has no competitor). I'm not much of a telephoto person.

That was a long-winded way of me asking a simple question: invest in the Pentax system and a few select lenses, or buy a Sony A57 and a few select lenses. To me, I'm strongly leaning toward the K-5 and the ability to use KA mount manual focus glass with focus confirmation and catch-in-focus is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for listening

-Collin-

CollinFX45's gear list:CollinFX45's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
How about I talk you out of it.
In reply to CollinFX45, May 22, 2012

I really like my K-5. If you were new to DSLR's I would happily give you a shove in the direction of the K-5 but you have already said you enjoy your Sony equipment. You have m4/3 when space is a concern. I'm not going to debate the merits of the different systems here. They are all great systems, but none of them are perfect.

Three systems will only give you more equipment and technical details to deal with. You will lose more time dealing with your equipment and have less time to enjoy shooting with it. And... you still won't find any of your cameras are perfect for every situation.

SIMPLIFY!!!! I like to say "the more stuff you have, the more trouble you will have with your stuff." This is an absolute truth.

Enjoy what you have. Stabilize on two systems if you must but one is better.

Go out and shoot.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shield20
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Re: Can someone talk me into a K-5?

The thing to do is (eventually) get into a superstore where you can try & compare anything you may be interested in. 99% of DSLRs will look huge compared to the k-5. Then you'll likley find the build, the quality, the IQ, the user interface, the features, and the value will be hard to beat.

Add in a grip when you can stand a bit more size, remove it when you need compact. Go with their primes for a small kit with great IQ. They are producing new cameras that maintain the current value and improve on them so an investment in Pentax won't be a dead-end.

The other camera worth considering would be the OM-D. Great system but as you note it is not a DSLR.

Me? I would dump the Sony and most of the 4/3 & start over with 1)Pentax k-5 1st, then eventually 2) E-M5 for an even smaller kit.

Life is short...why settle using something you don't like?

johnboy22
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

As I am sitting here typing this I am trying out for the first time CIF with my K5 and M100 f4 macro lens. Camera and tripod watching the bird bath with lots of hope.

CollinFX45
Like?
Re: How about I talk you out of it.
In reply to SRT201, May 22, 2012

Well, I certainly agree with what you said. Unfortunately, I think there's a huge gap in what the two systems can do. I lugged my A850 and 28-135mm lens around Boston for two days and don't think I'd do it again. On the contrary, the GF3 and 14/20mm lenses wouldn't have gotten me exactly what I wanted either. Yeah, there does need to be a compromise though. The lack of a decent "all around" zoom in the m4/3 mount is what really puts me off, but like you said, we don't have to get into the merits of each system. Each are strong in their own way. I just saw the K-5 as a perfect walk-around camera which is capable of producing stellar results. No, I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket, but I did sell a few lenses and a body to put myself in a comfortable position to invest in a limited Pentax system.

I thought with the K30 announcement, it was a perfect time to invest in a K-5 body. Perhaps a slightly used one or something.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
CollinFX45
Like?
In reply to shield20, May 22, 2012

Well, I really, really enjoy the shallow DOF that I get with an 85mm f/1.4 lens on the A850 and think I would keep it just for that. I love to take outdoor portraits and that's something the camera exceeds at. Unfortunately, it's difficult to carry around and it's slow by today's standards (though adequate for my standards!).

I just saw the K5 as a way to get an immense value with a few primes. I did consider the OM-D and thought that to be the logical choice, but I'm displeased with the lens selection. I had the 14mm, 20mm and the 45mm (which I just sold) and I really like the 20mm. The other two are okay. I'm more interested in wide-angle shots than telephoto and that's a tough pill to swallow on m4/3. The only option (I tried the 9-18 and didn't like it) is the 7-14mm Panny lens that costs ~$800.

Anyway, I really appreciate the thoughts.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
LFLee
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?

Stay with Sony. Pentax doesn't have a FF (yet).
Have you gotten most out of your SONY system?

Enjoy what you have and stop comparing camera (since you already have a system), you will enjoy more from taking pictures...

Lee

CollinFX45
Like?
In reply to LFLee, May 22, 2012

I'm somewhat surprised at the replies. Here is some logic behind my thoughts:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#198,187

As for "sticking with Sony," I'm still a tad confused. I have essentially one lens that would even be useful on an APS-C Sony body, which is a 20 year old Minolta 28mm f/2.8 lens. Hardly a reason to stay with a Sony crop body in my opinion. Now if I were to buy the lovely Zeiss 16-80mm, for example, it would be incompatible with my FF body.

Again, I didn't want to get too deep in comparing the systems because we all know how those threads go, I guess I was just talking through an idea I had. While I agree with the common knowledge of "stop worrying about equipment and go out and shoot," that would be not only easier, but more enjoyable with something smaller and lighter. I don't see this as having three systems really. The GF3 is basically my point and shoot, though I do have two lenses for it. I'm not investing in any more because the glass is too expensive for what you really get. I feel the opposite about Pentax, despite recent price increases.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,471
Like?
Buy the K-5. (nt)
-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

K30? I have the K 01 and really like the focus peaking for my A and M glass.
--
Variance is Evil!

soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?
You've got K30 to consider as well.

I own both k7 and k5 which have identical bodies. I think I'd never get a body close to them ergonomically wise. Put a 55/1.4 on it and the DOF is not that much worse than a FF 85/1.4.

I don't have a K30 (yet ) but it's even smaller and lighter than a K5 and seems to be a tough match for K5. A trio of 21, 40 and 70 ltds will make an excellent travel kit though lacks weather resistance.--
--------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +17 more
CollinFX45
Like?
Re: You've got K30 to consider as well.
In reply to soheil, May 22, 2012

Yeah, darn that K-30

I think I may be too impatient to wait until mid-July to get one and especially since I've held (read: fondled) the K-5 in the store a few times now. The K-5, while small, isn't the lightest camera on the block and that makes the K-30 appealing to me.

I did read good things on Imaging Resource about the handling of the K-30. Small and solidly built - exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I can hibernate for a month and a half until it hits the shelves.

Still, I feel like at comparable prices, the K-5 is still the better camera.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
Re: You've got K30 to consider as well.

There are plenty out there from the more traditional crowd that will downplay the focus peaking. For me, I really like it for street, product, portrait, food and macro shooting. You think more three dimensionally when using it.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
Stay with the camera that works fro you.

Do you value a an accurate and consistent AF that performs well indoor?
Do you value an accurate and consistent exposure when using a bounced flash?

Then stay away from K5. Otherwise, it you'll find K5 to be one of the best APS-C DSLRs available on the market.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
CollinFX45
Like?
Re: Stay with the camera that works fro you.
In reply to il_alexk, May 22, 2012

Alex, I don't plan to use an external bounce flash for the K-5, at least I haven't come across the need for that yet. Indoor AF has to be better than my A850 or GF3, though.

Focus peaking - hmm. I saw a video of it and liked it, but the focus confirmation will suit me just fine I think. I don't shoot with live view hardly ever.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,099Gear list
Like?

Have you considered the Sony NEX system? I have the NEX 7 and find it to be an excellent light camera that I love to take along with my Nikon D800E. It is a fun little camera. Check it out. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://www.poperotzy.smugmug.com
View of Yosemite Valley, Half Dome, Vernal and Nevada Falls

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?

If you can afford it (regarding owning 3 systems), then buy the K5.

I also own "3" systems as well - Nikon, Pentax, and MFT (GF2). However, I don't consider the MFT my third system - I only have a couple of lenses for it (kit and long zoom), and it is used only when I think to myself "I want to take pictures, but want something better than my 8Mpixel cell phone and my P&S, but don't want to bring the DSLR, but... In other words, it's just there. I guess I'm used to a DSLR and its performance, and the MFT's small size attributes don't usually overcome that feeling.

Which brings us to two "main" systems. As we all know, each system has pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses. When I need to take photos that will be best served by my Nikon equipment (I won't go into details), then I bring it. Every other time, it's Pentax... because it just feels right, and if I'm not comfortable with it (size, weight, ergo, etc.), then it ain't coming with me. The other manufacturers don't seem to have hit on the magic combination of features/size/ergo/etc that is the K5. If the K5 is what you're hankering for and will fill your needs, then go for it! You are already aware of your Sony's strengths and weaknesses - you can use it when you don't mind lugging it around but need it's attributes, and all other times, bring the K5. Think of it as owning two complementary systems, rather than owning competing systems.

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M +13 more
CollinFX45
Like?
In reply to David Nall, May 22, 2012

Thanks David, but while the Nex7 has excellent image quality, the price of that darn A-mount adapter is a concern. It's also a bit awkward with larger lenses, but I will try holding it again in the store. It's somewhat more expensive than the K-5 as well and lacks many of the features I like in the K-5. Still, it's a thought.

-Collin-

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,543
Like?
In reply to David Nall, May 22, 2012

David Nall wrote:

Have you considered the Sony NEX system? I have the NEX 7 and find it to be an excellent light camera that I love to take along with my Nikon D800E. It is a fun little camera. Check it out. Dave

++++++++++++++++++

I notice that since the first of the year you have been on this forum only once (today), and have spent your time elsewhere on the Sony, Nikon, and Panasonic forums.

Do you own the K-5? Do you own any Pentax gear? The OP came to this forum to ask opinions of the K-5 relative to the Sony system.

Why don't you leave this forum unless you have something truly intelligent to say based upon your personal experience with the K-5?
--
Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

shield20
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Hold the NEX7, for however brief, then try the O-MD...if you end up going MFT, you won't want to go back to the Sony.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads