Eclipse pics from Japan - GXR p10

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
CentipedeCarpet
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Eclipse pics from Japan - GXR p10
May 22, 2012

I was going to use the A16, but just to be safe went with the p10. Not all the pics I got are that good, but the one with the bright image of the sun on the right and the ghosted image of the ring eclipse is better than I would've imagined I could get. Almost feels like you're looking at a close up of Jupiter.

CentipedeCarpet's gear list:CentipedeCarpet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?
Re: Eclipse pics from Japan - GXR p10
In reply to CentipedeCarpet, May 22, 2012

Looks like the world has come to an end,

how is the IQ of the P10?

Bart

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,594
Like?
In reply to CentipedeCarpet, May 23, 2012

I think that the P10 has its place as a versatile travel camera. Also it fares quite well as general purpose lens. It has been a bit overwhelmed by other modules with larger sensors however for what it is it should be respected.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

CentipedeCarpet
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, May 23, 2012

I agree, it does look like the end of the world.

The p10 may, as Tom said seem like a vastly inferior unit compared to the ASP-C A12 and A16 units, but it makes the GXR tiny and easy to pocket, so good for traveling when you don't want to carry much. I use my other units a lot more, but I'm glad I have the p10 also just in case, like to slip the camera into my bag when I want to go light or it's raining harder.

It also has surprisingly good IQ, considering the sensor size, which IMO is due to the image processing, and I would say the glass quality is good. It gets a little soft when you zoom past 200mm, but not bad. Compares well against similar high end compacts like the XZ1 or Nikon's p7000.

CentipedeCarpet's gear list:CentipedeCarpet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads