What is the 'coolest' camera?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
demonboy
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
What is the 'coolest' camera?
May 22, 2012

I'm interested to poll people's opinion on what the 'coolest' camera is! It can be old or new, analogue or digital, any format. I'm interested to know what camera you can whip out in front of your photography friends or in public and get a 'wow' reaction from people.

It should be able to perform too, but the emphasis is on its design element.

You don't have to own it, I'm just interested to know what you think the ultimate coolest camera is.

Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,587Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the 'coolest' camera?
In reply to demonboy, May 22, 2012

The one I get the most admiring comments while using is this:

All the cool guys love a Rolleiflex:

I would say it is the most wonderful camera I've ever used, and suits my personal style like no other camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,541
Like?
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?

I think the Leica Monochrom is amazingly cool... even more so, perhaps, than my Olympus XZ-1.

New Guy Wanna Learn
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?

demonboy wrote:

I'm interested to poll people's opinion on what the 'coolest' camera is! It can be old or new, analogue or digital, any format. I'm interested to know what camera you can whip out in front of your photography friends or in public and get a 'wow' reaction from people.

You don't have to own it, I'm just interested to know what you think the ultimate coolest camera is.

Yeah, rolleiflex will sure attract some attention...BUT...the coolest camera (or rather coolest configuration/setup) is one big fat DSLR body, like Canon or Nikon flagships, attached to a gargantuan super telephoto lens with a funky camouflage and a giant lens hood...all slung around your neck (and hopefully it doesnt break ur neck!) ^ ^

Cheers!

New Guy Wanna Learn's gear list:New Guy Wanna Learn's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,759
Like?

Probably those used in astrophotography.
For example here:
http://www.astrosurf.com/joseribeiro/ecalar.htm
The CCD is cooled with liquid Nitrogen.

Regards,
Peter

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
SteveJL
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?

http://www.flicamera.com/proline/

ProLine Cameras

ProLine sets the standards in key performance areas that include: Download > Speeds, Cooling, Low Noise Operation, Anti-Ghosting Technology, Image Quality, > and Linearity.

Typical performance and features include:

Sensor Cooling up to -75°C
Large Format CCDs up to 50mm x 50mm
Interline Sensor Operation at 12 MHz (16-bit)
Full Frame Sensor Operation up to 14 MHz (16-bit)
Separate On-Board A2D for Lowest Noise (1 MHz)
Excellent Linearity
Dual Super Coated AR Window
Liquid or Air Cooled base
RBI Anti-Ghosting Technology standard
Video Mode with Interline Sensors
Reaches Operating Temperatures in 5 Minutes!

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,945Gear list
Like?
Reaction from "people" or photographic cognoscenti ?

That would be 2 different things, I think.

One that I have that works for the latter is my Fuji GSW 690II. My NEX7 is starting to get some stares, too. One that does it for me is the Mamiya 7---I always stop and comment to the person who has one. Another would be a Plaubel Makina. And the current Fuji folders definitely get looks (seen that at PDN).

On a different scale, Arca-Swiss, Sinar's and Linhof's get the looks.
--
tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,036Gear list
Like?
Minox B

James Bond used one.

And it just doesn't get any cooler than that.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?

demonboy wrote:

It would have to be an IPad because only Apple caters to people who are obsessive about "appearing" cool. Think of Alfred E. Neuman with an IPad and you're getting close.
--
Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?

It's tough to beat the Rolleiflex or Minox, but I personally perfer the lines of the M3 Voigtlander Bessamatic, or Alpa Reflex.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Unfortunately ...

... most people are so overwhelmed by my charismatic presence that they hardly notice anything else. I've learned to live with it, though.

Seriously, this is a daft question. Photographers will; be impressed by what you do with your camera, not what it is. Only posers of the worst kind will care about what your camera looks like.

The engineer in me rather likes this camera hack ( A P&S in a classic AE-1 body ) :

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/classic-canon-ae-1-gets-a-digital-upgrade/

The photographer in me is sad the AE-1 was gutted to do this.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,898
Like?
there are no cool cameras

Dumb concept. There are only cool photos.

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
The one you got the coolest picture from, ...seriously.

Besides it depends on your friends or scene doesn't it?

I was walking down the street yesterday and saw a Fuji that definitely got my attention for it's look. Came over kinda classy but I wouldn't buy it myself. Fuji hasn't got my digital faith, yet. Don't know if that's cool or not. Cool doesn't mean as much as it used to mean after all.

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Bruce McL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
Cool on a budget

I always liked the look of the early digital Nikon "twister" cameras. I have seen these for $25.00 or so on craigslist. The 3 megapixel 990 is probably the best of the bunch as far as image quality and usability.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/3

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,725Gear list
Like?
iPhone4s ...without a doubt

...without a doubt.

Check out instagram, a new word was made up for photos taken with it iphoneography ...the kids can't get enough of them, people pay upwards of $600 USD for them, made by the biggest public company in the world right now (by market cap), sold, 29 Million last QUARTER ...how many other models sold 29 million last quarter.

Cool is fleeting though...cool doesn't perform, cool looks good.

demonboy wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
Re: Minox B
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 22, 2012

You win
--
Variance is Evil!

Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,885Gear list
Like?
The coolest camera is that one I own...

...and I use.

Currently (the "coolest" first):

Nikon D300S
Nikon Coolpix 7100
Nikon D200
Olympus 1030

Regards,
--
O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer

Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds . Franklin

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
Re: iPhone4s ...without a doubt
In reply to happypoppeye, May 22, 2012

I recent saw an interesting article that briefly described a brain scan study that showed that responses to apple products occupy the same region in the brain that normally deal with religious experiences. This has been attributed to the hippy roots of its marketing founder Jobs and the influences of this thinking in the way he inserted these products into the market place.

The iCult of Apple doesn't make it so cool as far as I am concerned. Brainwashed will never be cool. Just an illusion of cool.

Besides it is a phone not a camera and used by sheep and followers are traditionally just a bit daggy.

Cool, I don't think so. Cool comes from being different, and just not caring. Cool is individual. Cool doesn't come by the millions. Cool doesn't create a screaming stampede when a new +.01 model comes out. Cool is quiet, smooth and confident. Getting a brand just because you are told to by peer pressure isn't confident.
By definition iAnything is the antithesis of Cool.

happypoppeye wrote:
...without a doubt.

Check out instagram, a new word was made up for photos taken with it iphoneography ...the kids can't get enough of them, people pay upwards of $600 USD for them, made by the biggest public company in the world right now (by market cap), sold, 29 Million last QUARTER ...how many other models sold 29 million last quarter.

Cool is fleeting though...cool doesn't perform, cool looks good.

demonboy wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads