Is there a way to get CS3 to run on a current Mac-mini (middle model) in 10.7?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,098
Like?
Is there a way to get CS3 to run on a current Mac-mini (middle model) in 10.7?
May 22, 2012

From what I've read, the problem isn't 10.7, it's the hardware in the current Mac-mini that prevents CS3 (designed for PPC architecture) from running. Maybe the lack of Rosetta is the issue?

Is there a workaround? Could I install OS 10.4 on an external hard drive and boot CS3 from there?

Gabriel Chalmeta
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: Is there a way to get CS3 to run on a current Mac-mini (middle model) in 10.7?
In reply to TheEye, May 22, 2012

CS3 works without problems in new Macs (I'm running it in an iMac 27 2011)
--
gabriel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TheEye
Like?
Re: Is there a way to get CS3 to run on a current Mac-mini (middle model) in 10.7?
In reply to Gabriel Chalmeta, May 22, 2012

Gabriel Chalmeta wrote:

CS3 works without problems in new Macs (I'm running it in an iMac 27 2011)
--
gabriel

Did you have to install Java Runtime?

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,351
Like?

TheEye wrote:

From what I've read, the problem isn't 10.7, it's the hardware in the current Mac-mini that prevents CS3 (designed for PPC architecture) from running. Maybe the lack of Rosetta is the issue?

According to this, CS3 shipped as a Universal Binary. If a current Mac Mini can run CS3, it would use the Intel code and ignore the PowerPC code.

http://arstechnica.com/features/2007/04/photoshop-cs3/

Is there a workaround? Could I install OS 10.4 on an external hard drive and boot CS3 from there?

As a rule, you cannot install a version of Mac OS X lower than the one that came with the hardware. Sometimes there might be exceptions to this (e.g., if they originally shipped a particular model with Snow Leopard, then halfway through the hardware refresh cycle, switched to shipping it with Lion), but you can't count on them.

I believe that Server versions of Mac OS X will let themselves be installed inside virtual machines (as long as those virtual machines are running on Mac hardware), so you possibly could run Snow Leopard Server inside Parallels or VMWare Fusion, on Lion. It sounds like you won't need to engage in such an elaborate workaround.

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, May 22, 2012

Tom_N wrote:

According to this, CS3 shipped as a Universal Binary. If a current Mac Mini can run CS3, it would use the Intel code and ignore the PowerPC code.

If I go ahead and install CS3 to see if it works, is there a risk of causing any damage other than that it may not work?

Thanks for letting me know that an older OS can usually not be installed on a newer computer.

Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,162Gear list
Like?

You're thinking of CS2. I'm running CS3 on my 2007 MBP and 2008 Mac Pro, both of which have Intel processors.

TheEye wrote:

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +32 more
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?

TheEye wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

If I go ahead and install CS3 to see if it works, is there a risk of causing any damage other than that it may not work?

There is alway a risk whenever you operate a computer. Thats why you should always have a current backup. Installing CS3 is no greater risk than most other operations.

But with the level of paranoia you are demonstrating with your questions, I take it that you already have several backups

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
Peter Rongsted
Like?
In reply to Jacques Cornell, May 22, 2012

Majikthize wrote:

You're thinking of CS2. I'm running CS3 on my 2007 MBP and 2008 Mac Pro, both of which have Intel processors.

Do you have Rosetta installed?

Peter

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
TheEye
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, May 22, 2012

Peter Rongsted wrote:

TheEye wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

There is alway a risk whenever you operate a computer. Thats why you should always have a current backup. Installing CS3 is no greater risk than most other operations.

But with the level of paranoia you are demonstrating with your questions, I take it that you already have several backups

Peter

I have three backups.

TheEye
Like?

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

Peter

Why would he need Rosetta? I ran CS3 just fine on my 2006 iMac without Rosetta. The current Macs don't come with Rosetta any longer.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,460
Like?

the only possible issue is if the CS3 installer is a PPC app. But the core CS3 works fine on 10.6 or 10.7 (I have it (CS3) running on both)

Peter Rongsted
Like?

TheEye wrote:

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

Peter

Why would he need Rosetta? I ran CS3 just fine on my 2006 iMac without Rosetta. The current Macs don't come with Rosetta any longer.

I wasn't clear. I meant that the fact he can run CS3 on his Intel Mac does not prove anything. If he has Rosetta installed all Power PC programs will run. And it would not help the OP as he would get OS X Lion with a new Mac Mini and no Rosetta.

Peter

TheEye
Like?

Peter Rongsted wrote:

TheEye wrote:

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

Peter

I wasn't clear. I meant that the fact he can run CS3 on his Intel Mac does not prove anything. If he has Rosetta installed all Power PC programs will run. And it would not help the OP as he would get OS X Lion with a new Mac Mini and no Rosetta.

Peter

However, CS3 is a Universal Binary, so it doesn't need Rosetta to begin with, right?

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, May 22, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:

the only possible issue is if the CS3 installer is a PPC app. But the core CS3 works fine on 10.6 or 10.7 (I have it (CS3) running on both)

What CS3 installer did you use on 10.7?

How can I find out if the installer that comes with my CS3 is a PPC application? If so, is there are a solution?

Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?

Right. I don't have PS CS3 installed, but I do have bridge CS3 and it works just fine in lion. The big problem with CS3 and PSE 6 (which is based on it) comes if you had it installed in 10.6 and set to open in rosetta and then upgrade to lion. In that case lion says it can't run ppc applications and you have some work to do. But otherwise it's just fine. No problems with a fresh install in lion.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,460
Like?

In my case, CS3 was already installed on the machine in question when the machine had 10.5 or 10.6 loaded. I then installed 10.7 over 10.6

There is only 1 installer

TheEye wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

How can I find out if the installer that comes with my CS3 is a PPC application? If so, is there are a solution?

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,351
Like?

TheEye wrote:

Do a "Get Info" on the application. In the "General:" section, the first line should say "Kind: Application (XXXXXX)" where XXXXXX is a string like "Classic", "PowerPC", "Intel", or "Universal". You want either "Intel" (Intel-only) or "Universal" (Intel + PPC).

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, May 22, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:

In my case, CS3 was already installed on the machine in question when the machine had 10.5 or 10.6 loaded. I then installed 10.7 over 10.6

So it's working because you didn't have t install using 10.7. Unfortunately that doesn't help me since I'm stuck with 10.7.

There is only 1 installer

TheEye wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Conchita, May 22, 2012

Conchita wrote:

Right. I don't have PS CS3 installed, but I do have bridge CS3 and it works just fine in lion. The big problem with CS3 and PSE 6 (which is based on it) comes if you had it installed in 10.6 and set to open in rosetta and then upgrade to lion.

I find this confusing. I has CS3 on my 2006 iMac. It did not run under Rosetta.

In that case lion says it can't run ppc applications and you have some work to do. But otherwise it's just fine. No problems with a fresh install in lion.

So how do you install it in Lion? Since the installer is PPC only, and since Lion doesn't have Rosetta, how does it work?

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, May 22, 2012

Tom_N wrote:

TheEye wrote:

Do a "Get Info" on the application. In the "General:" section, the first line should say "Kind: Application (XXXXXX)" where XXXXXX is a string like "Classic", "PowerPC", "Intel", or "Universal". You want either "Intel" (Intel-only) or "Universal" (Intel + PPC).

The Get Info search on CS3 will show also the installer architecture? I can't try it right now, because I don't have CS3 on the Mac-mini yet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads