Show Your Snaps...May 21, 2012

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,473
Like?
Show Your Snaps...May 21, 2012
May 22, 2012

We invite you again to show your own snapshots or even choice pictures. Remember it's all about the enjoyment of taking pictures regardless of what we have. We can learn from each other and it's fun to share too.

On Saturday, I first decided to look for flowers in Portland, Oregon. I had tons of fun playing with the Canon T2i (550D) camera again with M mode and auto-ISO. Other times I used aperture priority.

We will start a new thread for this every week now due to the popularity. I'll be sure to comment also to your images, if you choose to share. Thanks everyone for your participation.

Photo No. 1 - I took this in late afternoon at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon under dark cloudy skies. I sure enjoy seeing this wall of flowers every spring.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO2500, F11, 1/250, 55mm FL

Photo No. 2 - This is another picture of the Rose Garden showing a few roses that have managed to bloom. It was taken just after I took the first picture, under those dark conditions. This time the M mode and auto-ISO did not work out very well with the exposure, but I was able to recover it with some post processing. There's times that the aperture priority or some other settings are better. I'll be experimenting some more...got new ideas to explore.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO2000, F11, 1/250, 55mm FL

Photo No. 3 - Here's a picture of a flower I took there, the week previously.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO400, F16, 1/200, 200mm FL

Photo No. 4 - Here's some flowers I took on the Saturday morning at the same place, when we had some sunshine.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO200, F14, 1/200, 208mm FL

Photo No. 5 - More flowers....

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO200, F14, 1/400, 135mm FL

Photo No. 6 - Another one....

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO100, F14, 1/200, 123mm FL

Photo No. 7 - And who could resist not taking a picture of these beautiful ladies? They were part of a wedding party at the Rose Garden in the late afternoon.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F13, 1/320, 194mm FL

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nycfonephreak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?
Under the El
In reply to Digirame, May 22, 2012

Not a great photo by any stretch of the imagination. But the first (well, really the 2nd) that I processed using CS6 - and, more importantly, using mostly the new ACR in CS6.

In the past I would start my workflow with ACR (whether using a RAW or JPG image) and just do some exposure (recovery of highlights or filling in light) and add some Clarity, then jump right into CS5 and do everything there.

This time I used mostly ACR in CS6 to do some straightening, cropping, exposure, lens correction, removal of CA (there was some severe purple fringing on the vertical edges of the steel beams at the left side). I cropped square to remove some of the overexposed areas on the side (and because I really like the square format anyway). In CS6 I added a vignette to further reduce the overexposed sides, used some NIK tools to add structure and pro-contrast and did some sharpening (maybe too much) at the end. It was a crappy photo to start with and it is not sharp - I really don't know what I did wrong with the original capture. But I like the overall look compared to the original.

T3i / 15-85mm IS USM / 1/100sec / f9.0 / 70mm / ISO 200 / EV -2/3 /

Processed in CS6/ACR

Original OOC

nycfonephreak's gear list:nycfonephreak's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergeg
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: Show Your Snaps...May 21, 2012

The best flowers ! Beauty to behold.

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 650D Nikon D5200 +1 more
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?
Altered Reality

Disclaimer: The image below was altered by a photo editor. The thought attributed to the Heron may not be accurate, in fact the fish may not have been red and may not be a Herring. In addition, the image is composed of a collection of square pixels that may not accurately reflect their original color. Enjoy!

Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 40,661
Like?
At the Detroit River

Hi: You sure posted some nice photos and getting all those chasers in one photo was neat.

At the river.

T3i with 18-270 Tamron

Life is good - Blue Skies

CC

-- hide signature --

Canadian Club with a chaser.

3D Frames and OOB Gallery
http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/george_mocks_3d_frame_gallery&page=all

baneling
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?

very nice. did you use a tripod for the flower macros?

-- hide signature --

------------------------------------
Canon T3i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

baneling's gear list:baneling's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Mr Michael
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to baneling, May 22, 2012

to the OP:

I liked #5 and 6 the most. #7, well I guess anytime one takes pictures of young ladies without their knowledge, it could be perceived as "creepy". And maybe they knew you were there. Just saying...

Digirame
Like?
Re: Under the El
In reply to nycfonephreak, May 23, 2012

Yes, I agree...I do like the image with the additional post processing much better. I'm always trying to keep my pictures straight, but that isn't always possible. It's nice when we can fix them that way with software. It's tough with the bright light and shadows, but you got it to look very good.

Digirame
Like?
Show Your Snaps...May 21, 2012 - Thanks
In reply to Sergeg, May 23, 2012

Thanks. I've been taking pictures of flowers here for a long time. It is such a nice place for photography.

Digirame
Like?
Re: Altered Reality
In reply to leroyvanhee, May 23, 2012

I like your disclaimer. What I see here is a nice piece of art...very well done.

Digirame
Like?
Re: At the Detroit River
In reply to Canadian Club, May 23, 2012

Thanks...glad you liked the chasers. I saw them there for just a few minutes and I had to hurry. Just seconds after I took the photo they moved away.

I do like your river photos...seeing the goslings is something I find also around here. As always, that's a very pretty chaser. You got close and it looks so professional.

Digirame
Like?
In reply to baneling, May 23, 2012

Thanks. No, I did not use a tripod. I'm normally able to hold the camera and lens very steady. I like using the high F-stops to get the great depth of field. The 55-250mm IS lens seems to perform very well at those apertures and focal lengths.

Digirame
Like?
In reply to Mr Michael, May 23, 2012

Thanks. As a photographer I take pictures of people all the time. Each person with different cultures has their own view of it. Where I live, it's common for us to take photos of each other (whether we know each other or not). I have thousands of them...people often pose for me or ask me to take pictures of them all the time.

On other posts or forums, I mostly get nice comments about them...they have told me that the images have given them positive viewpoints about Americans...something that we show (as photographers) that can often be missed by the media. The media shows a lot of the bad news and violence. We photographers often show ordinary people having fun at events or playing music etc. It's a shame that we would miss that, because someone thinks something is creepy...just saying....

Here's a recent photo (or one similar) that I showed on one of our recent Show Your Snaps threads.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/500, 55mm FL

Eagles48
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
In reply to Digirame, May 23, 2012

Once again some very good pictures. Here's a few from my weekend camping trip to Algonquin Park in Ontario....

-- hide signature --

If indeed it is lonely at the top, WHO CARES, it is lonely at the bottom too.
http://www.jenningsp.com/gallery2

Digirame
Like?
In reply to Eagles48, May 23, 2012

Those are very nice photos. They are similar to the ones I take in the Portland, Oregon area (except for the moose of course). I saw that you used ISO100 for all of them. The one thing I like about these cameras, is the ability to take them from ISO100 to ISO6400. I'm still learning about these higher ISO settings, lately with auto-ISO. Previously, with my older DSLR cameras I was limited to about ISO800 (for usable photos). But then I'm often taking a lot of high action photos in cloudy weather which require these faster shutter speeds. Of the herons, I've taken them at 300mm focal length at about 1/30th of a second hand-held. As long as they don't move by the banks of the pond, they can come out quite sharp.

Davidfstop
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digirame, May 23, 2012

Bridgewater Canal - Lymm, Cheshire near my house.

Just getting to grips with the Canon 600d and tamron 15-50.

Original photo was very dull. Green leaves, grass, boat, reflections.
When I converted to Infra Red in Elements, I couldn't believe my eyes....

Looks good printed at A3

hope you like it too!

Davidfstop's gear list:Davidfstop's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
baneling
Like?
In reply to Davidfstop, May 23, 2012

this looks like B&W. what's the difference between infra red and B&W?
--

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

Davidfstop
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to baneling, May 23, 2012

Well it was, then there's this Infra red Filter On PSE 6 which turns Green leaves white..

I liked the effect. Perhaps not everybody'd cup of tea. Not really bothered about the technicalities though;-)

Davidfstop's gear list:Davidfstop's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
baneling
Like?
In reply to Davidfstop, May 23, 2012

you're right, it is nice. I have photoshop cs6, lightroom and the software that came with my T3i. I never saw anything about infra red. do you know if either one is capable of it?
--

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

Digirame
Like?
In reply to Davidfstop, May 24, 2012

That looks good...nice & sharp. Did you have overcast skies? Sometimes the color photos look better only if there is bright sunshine and blue sky.

I've accidentally converted some of my photos to negative images (in IrfanView) and that also looks interesting. Have you done that also?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads