I never heard a bad thing about a Billingham bag...

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
I never heard a bad thing about a Billingham bag...
May 22, 2012

...except for the price. But I am looking for a bag for my 4/3 system. I'm looking at the Billingham Hadley Pro. Does anybody have anything bad to say before I spend that kind of money on it?

Appreciated. Thanks!

hfg
hfg
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: I never heard a bad thing about a Billingham bag...
In reply to dezignman, May 22, 2012

Um ... no ... the Hadley Pro is my favorite bag (out of WAY too many).

Depending on your lens collection, you might want to look at the Hadley Small also. I do wish it had the top carry handle however like the Pro.

Billinghams carry well, are easy to shoot from, and are waterproof without a rain-cover!

I love them!

-howard

hfg's gear list:hfg's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?

IMO Billingham makes quality bags that carry a premium price for people with money. On the other hand, you might want to consider the possibility that its practical value is no better than that of a $15,000 Rolex versus a $2,000 Tag Heur.

Domke makes some great bags that many people prefer to Billingham. After trying many bags, I've found that the Lowe passport sling best meets my needs. Bags are an individual thing and I suggest you try several before making a decision.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
gerigo
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?

It really depends on how you expect it to perform. It's a very high quality bag, made using material that's a few notches above the typical ballistic nylon sports/ outdoor performance focused photography bags and backpacks out there. It's design was adopted from fishing bags of the 50's. If you want to see where Billingham got their inspiration from, look at Brady bags from UK.

http://www.bradybags.co.uk/products.asp?mid=26

I find this genre of throw back design very much aligned with the philosophy of Leica cameras, but not necessarily more modern cameras. Don't really know how to explain other than that. The ergonomics is not quite right, and the ease of use is not quite as thought through as those modern bags such as the Thinktank Retrospective.

Having said all of that, I love the quality so much that I have 2 Billingham Hadleys, one a pro and one is a large, as well as a Packington. I also do have modern backpacks when I want a much more ergonomically designed carrier.

Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
I have... PRICE!!!

I'd love to have a Billingham, but God, are so expensive. I could never have my wife approve a purchase like that. And even less being so cute, classy and obvious. A Panny 12-35mm, can perfectly pass for my 14-42mm, and she will ever have any clue. But a Billingham? No way.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
firefox23508
Contributing MemberPosts: 753
Like?

Well, they don't have an internal flap or zipper to add security. I had a Contax G2 stolen out of it while slung over my shoulder while riding on a crowded subway. they lifted the leather tabs and helped themselves. Never felt a thing. Thank goodness it was insured but I lost some film. Now I'll only use a bag with some sort of internal protection.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,885Gear list
Like?

I've heard it said that these bags are not light of themselves. That's the only negative I've heard from those that don't balk at the price. And to be honest, it gave me pause. I'll still look one over the next time I get to B&H.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529Gear list
Like?
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 22, 2012

I have an older Alice and a Small Hadley as well as a couple of the smaller bags for accessories. They really are made very well and I find them comfortable to carry. Having said that, I have been using an older Tenba bag which is in the messenger style. It has a lower compartment for long lenses which is accessible from the outside (full zipper one side of the bag to the other) and very handy...plus front and rear large zip pockets in addition to the zippered interior of the bag. Not very large, but it certainly can carry a lot of stuff. If such a bag were being made today, I would buy another. Some of the good ideas have been lost in the pursuit of fashion.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +15 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 22, 2012

Is there a choice of fabric in the new Billinghams? The ones that I have are all the cotton canvas sort of material, but I think that they are using a new nylon sort of thing as well. That could reduce the weight.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +15 more
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?

I don't like my Billingham, but I couldn't tell you why. But generally I reach for other bags first.
--
http://jcharding.zenfolio.com/

jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Re: I have... PRICE!!!
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 22, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

A Panny 12-35mm, can perfectly pass for my 14-42mm, and [my wife] will [n]ever have any clue . . .

A man with a plan!

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
AdventureRob
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?

I use a Hadley Pro. Lovely bit of kit. The fibrentye material feels exactly the same as the canvas one. I got it but I don't know why really. Apparently it's more water resistant but some people don't like how it has an extra shine to it.

Anyway, on to negatives. It needs some more internal pockets, like memory card holder, and yes a way of securing the internals would be appreciated (although the quick release is a selling point, so it would have to not compromise that).

I also don't like how the shoulder strap rest is extra (I've not got one), and I would rather have another external pocket (like the AVEA add ons) to hold a water bottle when out and about.

Other than that. Nothing. I find its a bit too deep for micro 4/3 stuff (I have a towel at the bottom of my camera department to make getting it out quicker). But on the flip side I can pick up odd things when out and about and there is usually space to fit in some shopping.

After looking at other bags, I'd consider a Domke and possibly a national geographic as alternatives. But am happy with my Billingham for now.

-- hide signature --
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
I can't tell you all just how many...

..camera bags I've been through for my SLR gear; you wouldn't believe it. But with M4/3 I find myself in a lighter simpler world. I've always thought of Billingham bags as being something outdated, and I know that the modern designs incorporate some very creative features. But now I've become attracted to the simplicity of the Billingham, and I think the Hadley Pro fits the bill.

Thanks for the replies; they've been beneficial. I have to give this more thought.

hfg
hfg
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Billingham "Hadley Small" for m43

Here is an older thread with some pictures of the Hadley Small loaded with my G3 and several lenses. Just the right size!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=39466102

-howard

hfg's gear list:hfg's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
Martin Ocando
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, May 22, 2012

brentbrent wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

A Panny 12-35mm, can perfectly pass for my 14-42mm, and [my wife] will [n]ever have any clue . . .

A man with a plan!

Oh yessss

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 22, 2012

Eva has a Billingham too which removes the argument.

Martin Ocando wrote:

I'd love to have a Billingham, but God, are so expensive. I could never have my wife approve a purchase like that. And even less being so cute, classy and obvious. A Panny 12-35mm, can perfectly pass for my 14-42mm, and she will ever have any clue. But a Billingham? No way.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

Martin Ocando
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 22, 2012

I buy a Billingham to my wife, and she'll make me eat it

Louis_Dobson wrote:
Eva has a Billingham too which removes the argument.

Martin Ocando wrote:

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Designed for a bigger stuff. And that doesn't mean you can fit more in either - still takes the same number of lenses etc, they'll just bash about.

There are three sizes of bag, and we used the big one (pro?)for FF, the medium one (large?) for FT, and the small one for MFT.

Some people may prefer more space, I'm always trying to get the size down...

If the bags have a weakness it is that you have space for a camera and lens, maybe four more lenses, and pockets for flashes/filters etc. It's not really enough for us prime shooters. And a bigger bag, as above, does not make for more compartments, just bigger ones.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Keenasmustard
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

I have the hadley pro and love it. Ultimately you need to take your lenses and camera and try it out, but from a build point of view, ease of use etc it is a great bag and looks great as well!
--
http://www.edgesnaps.blogspot.com.au

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,188Gear list
Like?

Hello,

I have a couple of Billingham's various bags and pouches in my closet.

Only negative is the brass fittings that one must keep polished to keep from tarnishing, and also must use leather cream periodically to keep the leather pieces supple.

And, be sure you break the bag in to loosen it up so it conforms to your shoulder.

Black or Tan?

The bag should include a life time warranty.

Quality never comes cheap. Enjoy your Billingham Hadley Pro.

Regards.

dezignman wrote:

...except for the price. But I am looking for a bag for my 4/3 system. I'm looking at the Billingham Hadley Pro. Does anybody have anything bad to say before I spend that kind of money on it?

Appreciated. Thanks!

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads