FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions
Lil g
Regular MemberPosts: 486Gear list
Like?
FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all
May 22, 2012

This last weekend was probably the most enjoyable weekend I have had with my camera. I have gotten more comfortable thanks to all the information shared on this forum. One thing that I really remembered was Tootsall and kryzt commenting in ekramer51's thread about loss of IQ with the TC. While it's nice to have all the stuff, I will approach next weekend without the converter and learn to use the camera better. I also am going to shoot in manual mode for the fun of it. I feel like I go back to see my buddies on Sat and Sun morn. I know these images could all use work as far as composition, cropping and exposure. But for me they take back to the viewfinder those mornings and I can smell the water and feel the breeze. It finally rained and the ponds have improved. Hope you enjoy. If you are not totally bored with my subjects yet, there is more explanation to the images here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79612171@N07/7245083956/in/set-72157629838134030/
Thank you all
Peace
Greg

Lil g's gear list:Lil g's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D810
Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ian herridge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all
In reply to Lil g, May 22, 2012

Lovely shots Greg. Number two is my favourite but I would crop out the left side.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all, Ian
In reply to ian herridge, May 22, 2012

I agree. It just looked like I remembered it so I left it. That guy just seemed to tolerate my moving around for the sunlight.

Hans Gruber
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?

I like #2 as well, but personally I wouldn't crop it. I like the feeling of the entire setting. All close-ups can get a little monotonous.

MissingLinkie
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hans Gruber, May 22, 2012

Number 5 does it for me
darn, wish i was there with you
--
This is just my RAW avatar....

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,018Gear list
Like?

Lil, great set. Numbers 1, 4 and 6 are best for me but all very good indeed. Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all, Hans
In reply to Hans Gruber, May 22, 2012

Thanks for the comment Hans. I thought about your comment in a previous thread about seeing more of the context of the setting. Every week the spoonbill is pretty much in the same spot and didn't seem that photogenic. The other birds just come and go. He rarely feeds or moves. This morning he really stood out with the superb morning sun. He looks like an old man but his coloring indicates a two-year old. I just enjoyed watching him and I kept thinking he was the "master"or "gatekeeper". You can move around and he just grunts like he's saying "oh brother, just take my picture". That's all part of the context or story.
Thanks for the comment,
Peace
Greg

Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all, Stuart #6
In reply to windmillgolfer, May 22, 2012

Thank you Stuart. The amazing thing about the fledglings this week was that the mother just decided to march them about 100 yards down a five lane highway and cross the road to a larger body of water. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of traffic and they made it. The next morning they were back at their pond. I think she might be trying to get them to move out.
Peace
Greg

Tootsall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4

Greg, attach the tc to the adaptor tube and put a lens cap on each end (if you haven't already), and tuck it in your pocket. If you don't you can sure bet that you're going to snap your fingers at some point and say "oh darn" (or words to that effect). Use the t.c. when you need the reach, don't use it if you don't need it for a shot.

Your pictures are darn nice and you're lucky to be so close to a sanctuary where you can see that range of feathered ones on a regular basis.
--
"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it." - Winston Churchill

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D5300 Canon PowerShot D10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +5 more
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,564Gear list
Like?

Greg,

Excellent images all.

Not sure I agree about the teleconverter being redundant. I tested a few weeks back and got considerably more lines/inch with it than without. Just received the mount you suggested - Works fine. I left the original liner in place and added two small squares of thin felt as a shim.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?

Greg, these are excellent images.

I have seen bird postings (actually, many, many!) in DSLR forums, even with 'sophisticated' cameras and lenses, which come no where near yours!

Once again it shows that it is the TALENT that produces wonderful photos, and not the gear!

thanks for sharing:)

Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all,Tootsall,Sherm, Dave
In reply to canuck dave, May 22, 2012

More like "gosh darn" After I went out Sat I went to the only remaining small camera store in my area. The guy has a box of old lense caps so I got lens cap for the threaded end of the converter and a lens pouch. I moved the Canon type telephoto ring onto the ring of the camera itself and off the adapter. That way I can remove the lense and adapter as one unit and drop it in the pouch. They aren't as heavy as I thought they were. Sherm by using the suggestions of +1S and -1NR I am liking my results with the TC better. If there is not a lot of action like with the spoonbill I have been using Area Focus mode rather than AF tracking and it seems to be giving better results. The issue with the teleconverter mostly has been in this location I am finding that subjects have been too close especially with the lower water levels. I like to sit on the ground and shoot low and straddle the tripod(oh greg). This is probably my favorite accessory I have discovered so far. After an hour of sitting on the ground I can now get up. It is light and small.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3962677
Thanks for the kind words Dave and everyone.
The forum is the best.
Peace
Greg

sherman_levine
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all,Tootsall,Sherm, Dave

Greg,

Couple of thoughts, on the chance that they might be useful

Don't use the "conversion" setting - Leave the camera in its default (no extra lenses) mode. If you set to conversion/tele, it will block close focusing.

If you put the focus in macro mode (the middle setting) you should be able to focus as close as 6ft at maximum zoom.

If the birds aren't moving much, try using manual focus and tap the FOCUS button to focus once (repeat until happy). Then you can relax until you take the picture, knowing that the focus will be perfect. The lens is not parfocal, so you need to refocus whenever you change the zoom

Sherm

Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all,Sherm
In reply to sherman_levine, May 22, 2012

Thanks Sherm! I'll play around with it.
Peace
Greg

Johnny Horton
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?

More great shots from your playground! Nice! I notice you have the EV cranked down quite a bit. I may have to do that as well. -.33 doesn't always seem to get the job done.
--
Johnny
http://www.pbase.com/big24fan

sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to Johnny Horton, May 22, 2012

Two other things you might try for these high-constrast scenes

Decrease contrast to -2 will increase dynamic range. I think i.Dynamic will do the same thing automatically (decrease contrast for high-contrast images and increase for low-contrast images)

Use spot exposure. If you aim at the white bird and put the shutter button half-way down, you'll expose for the bird. If you aim at a dark area, you'll expose for the dark area. Use the EVF and histogram to evaluate your exposure. I find "aim to set exposure" more convenient than adjusting exposure via the dials

Sherm

Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all,Johnny Sherm
In reply to Johnny Horton, May 23, 2012

Thank you Johnny.The forum helped me learn to change the EV and use the Highlights

tool. I check a shot and if it says more I go down. If you haven't checked out Gary Stephenson's images with The FZ150 you will be amazed. I think he sets the bar for what this camera can do. He was kind enough to respond to my e-mails. He says he shoots in manual mode. He takes a couple shots, makes adjustments then just shoots away! That easy!

Thanks again Sherm. I was planing to explore iDynamic down the road and this weekend I was planning to combine spot exposure with AF. Taking baby steps and there is so much to learn.
Thank you all
Peace
Greg

cat150
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lil g, May 23, 2012

A truly excellent series of images, are not able to cose the best, good composition, color and detail. Congrats Greg!
--
Lumix forever

Alex

cat150's gear list:cat150's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Lil g
Like?
Re: FZ 150 Weekend 4 Thank you all,cat 150
In reply to cat150, May 23, 2012

Thanks for the kind words Alex. Thanks to the forum this week I have more information to use again. I can't wait to get out this weekend and try some of the suggestions. This is just a great place to be.
Peace
Greg

Johnny Horton
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
In reply to Lil g, May 23, 2012

Thanks Greg and Sherm for your tips and suggestions. When I first got my camera it seemed to do fine in any bright situation as long as I had the EV set at -.33. But a few days ago I was taken some shots of a baby rabbit in the shade with very little to no sunshine and the photos all came out with the exposure whacked. Even the greys in the rabbits fur were over exposed. He was sitting half in the grass and kind of half on the pavement and the pavement and gravels were over exposed as well. I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my camera. I didn't notice this behavior until the day after I took some sunset shots. I hope I didn't screw up the sensor somehow with the sunset photos. I've heard some folks say it's possible to damage a digital camera sensor by taking sunset shots with the improper settings and others say it's not possible. So, I'm really not sure. Maybe I just need to try yours and Sherm's suggestions and see how it goes from there. I totally agree with you Gregg about Gary's photos. They are top notch! I actually posted the link to his pbase gallery on here a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure if anybody had checked them out yet. It was Gary's photos on pbase that actually pushed me over the edge in my decision to get the FZ150. Anyway, thanks again for the tips and keep posting the nice shots from your playground. I'd love to have a place like that close by but it ain't gonna happen in East Tennessee anytime soon. Hee! Hee!
--
Johnny
http://www.pbase.com/big24fan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads