Canon EOS 7D Mark II Speculation
May 21, 2012

...From Canon Rumor...
7D Mark II
■Dual Digic 5
■100% viewfinder
■61 Point AF from 5D Mark III
■Announced after 70D

This is a grain of salt spec list, though I do think anything announced for Photokina would be mostly finalized by now.

7D Mark II................VS.........................7D
■Dual Digic 5.........................................■ Dual DIGIC 4
■100% viewfinder..................................■ 100% viewfinder

■61 Point AF from 5D Mark III....................■ 19 cross-type AF points

Ok...7D mkII ...upgraded processor and auto-focus.
Price is not listed....

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Speculation
In reply to mailman88, May 21, 2012

If the above spec's are correct and sells for $1699.00 or less....I'll bite!

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
In reply to mailman88, May 21, 2012

I doubt I would upgrade from 7D to 7DII. I'd sooner save up and go for the 5D3 and keep the 7D as backup. Regardless of whatever improved specs the 7DII ends up having, the only upgrade I'd be interested in is to FF.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
eorlingas
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
In reply to AC1, May 22, 2012

Same here. I'm buying 70-200 L IS II right now and I'll be saving up for 5DIII

eorlingas's gear list:eorlingas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
GtoJon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to mailman88, May 22, 2012

7DII has got to have better ISO at any level too

Cheers
--
http://www.JonSmithers.com GtoJon -
Taken any photographs lately?

GtoJon's gear list:GtoJon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +9 more
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?

Unless the "new" 7d can take pictures of the future, I will keep my "old" 7d bodies. I have yet to find a shot this camera is incapable of capturing...

MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?
Wishful thinking

mailman88 wrote:

...From Canon Rumor...
7D Mark II
■Dual Digic 5
■100% viewfinder
■Announced after 70D

This is a grain of salt spec list, though I do think anything announced for Photokina would be mostly finalized by now.

Price is not listed....

The 61 point AF won't fit in a cropped sensor body. The 45 point AF from the 1D Mark IV might. To be honest, I find 19 AF points more than enough.

Dual Digic 5 might happen, it would depend on the bandwidth needed by the camera.

The 100% viewfinder would be a no-brainer.

Canon might have to increase pixel density to keep up with the competition but I'm guessing any increase would be modest (20 to 22 MP). If the new Rebel T4i gets an increased MP sensor then Canon would almost have to do the same with the 7D replacement.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
mailman88
Like?
Re: Wishful thinking
In reply to MisterPootieCat, May 22, 2012

...staying at 18mp

mailman88
Like?

61 point AF won't fit in a cropped sensor body....very possible!

MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?
Hard to know for sure

mailman88 wrote:

...staying at 18mp

As I said earlier, if the new Rebel T4i gets a MP increase that might force Canon to up the ante if/when a 7D replacement is launched.

18MP is enough for me too but improved noise performance will almost be mandatory to compete with the new Sony sensors. The Digic 5 would certainly help in that department but my guess is there will be some tweaking of the sensor too.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,586
Like?
In reply to GtoJon, May 22, 2012

GtoJon wrote:

7DII has got to have better ISO at any level too

Yup, better ISO, less noise.

BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,586
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Canon might have to increase pixel density to keep up with the competition but I'm guessing any increase would be modest (20 to 22 MP). If the new Rebel T4i gets an increased MP sensor then Canon would almost have to do the same with the 7D replacement.

I would welcome a 22 MP crop sensor if Canon could control the noise to a respectable level and maintain very good IQ. Only because I shot airs shows and sometimes even 420mm is not enough. The extra real estate to crop from would be a benefit.

I wonder if sport shooters, wildlife and bird shooters would want the same?

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,733Gear list
Like?
In reply to BigBen08, May 22, 2012

Canon has gone 3 years with the same cropped sensor. I would think this is a critical time. Canon needs to come out with a new sensor with more pixels, higher useable ISO, better dynamic range and overall improved performance. Without a jump forward, I suspect their DSLR sales will start dropped off. Looks like the competition must be doing substantially better already.
--
Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
jitteringjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,018Gear list
Like?

I am very happy with my 7D. I still have some more glass and flash upgrades and additions before I even think about a new body. I will be interested in seeing the specs on the 7D mk3 and 5D mk4 though when their time comes.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?

mailman88 wrote:

61 point AF won't fit in a cropped sensor body....very possible!

You could fit one if you really wanted to! You need room to fit the phase sensor itself, and a large enough secondary mirror to deflect the required light down to the unit.

In terms of physical millimeters, the spread of the focus points on a fullframe camera aren't that much bigger than on a crop; so while the mirrors would have to be enlarged, it's still not to the same size of a mirror required by a fullframe viewfinder.

IMO the question is more of business/economic will than a case of technical can't.

-- hide signature --

Paul

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

Sounds pretty promising. I heard nothing on the new 61-point AF but excellent performance while 7D AF is controversial. Just hope Canon can improve shadow noise in the new model. I need it for birding and safari.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to myphotographic, May 22, 2012

Just to contradict myself; I've done the comparison and realised the latest 61pt autofocus unit has a notably wider spread (but not height). Which still doesn't rule out fitting the unit but would require more of a mirror upgrade.
--
Paul

Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?

mailman88 wrote:

...From Canon Rumor...
7D Mark II
■Dual Digic 5
■100% viewfinder
■Announced after 70D

Price is not listed....

Faster processors would be nice, but I find 8fps pretty good. I've never had any issues from the 7D re its AF speed or accuracy. It looks on very fast...better than my old 1Ds or 1Ds2 ever did.

If I were Canon, I'd leave the 18mp as it is. I'd like to see an improvement in shadow noise and DR as this is where Canon lags right now regardless of whether it's APS-C or FF.

The 7D is an excellent camera in its own right. Anyone who has used a 5D2 would find the AF on the 7D a relief anyway.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Kmccarthy
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, May 22, 2012

If they improve AF, ISO and IQ too much they might cannibalize 5DIII sales. As it is, it's pretty hard to justify the $2K difference between the current 7D and the 5DIII for most people. I think they may just keep their focus on sports/action by increasing resolution and FPS a bit with a modest ISO improvement. Maybe they will add some more Intelligent AF modes like face and eye tracking.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads