OM-D EM-5 vs DSLR

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
OM-D EM-5 vs DSLR
May 21, 2012

I know it sounds a bit nonsense, but seriously! Does any former DSLR users, who uses OM-D now the question is for you: Do you missing your old camera, do you experience anything that you could fail on your M 4/3 compared your previous DSLR?

I know there are preety much of stories on internet and dpreview , but OM-D is the last cam of mirrorless round, so things might improoved maybe. I need your guiding comments for my coming decision.

Thanks a lot...

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,038Gear list
Like?
I only miss one thing
In reply to Ben O Connor, May 21, 2012

Fast AF using my better ZD lenses on the OM-D. And that can be fixed, one way or another.

Aside from a lack of fast zooms, there's really nothing that I miss when comparing the OM-D to, say, my E3. And the fast zooms are on the way - either Oly will fix the slower AF, or those lenses will be recreated in fast focusing M43 form.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 vs DSLR
In reply to Ben O Connor, May 21, 2012

Camera is better at mostly everything (better sensor, smaller and light, better and faster AF), but there are very few quality zooms compared to 43rds.
Primes are pretty good though.
--
Cheers,
Marin

manxalfa
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Too soon to say....
In reply to msusic, May 21, 2012

...because the TT races don't start for a few days yet
but
with 9fps I am keen to find out!
cheers

DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565Gear list
Like?
I only miss one thing +1
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 22, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

Fast AF using my better ZD lenses on the OM-D. And that can be fixed, one way or another.

Aside from a lack of fast zooms, there's really nothing that I miss when comparing the OM-D to, say, my E3. And the fast zooms are on the way - either Oly will fix the slower AF, or those lenses will be recreated in fast focusing M43 form.

The only thing that I miss is th
--

Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565Gear list
Like?
Re: I only miss one thing +1
In reply to DonParrot, May 22, 2012

DonParrot wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

The only thing that I miss is that I can't use my 50-200 SWD at full AF speed. Apart from that, I love this little masterpiece.
--

I'm a HOlygan

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
radhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
Re: I only miss one thing +1
In reply to DonParrot, May 22, 2012

I have the E-510. The E-M5 is better in almost every way. My only gripe is that it's not as easy to pull from the bag~

faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, May 22, 2012

My OMD combo in a small waist bag is OMD 12-50kit, 40-150 "R", 45f1.8. So small so light. With the 5axis IBIS keep me in low ISOs. With me all the time now.

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P1 +19 more
Cornel Pasca
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?

I have only had OMD for 1 week but it's a gorgeous camera.

The buttons are a bit small but I reckon I'll get used to that especially since I did not like the buttons on the E-5; give me the 620 backlit buttons any day!

The E-7 would have to be super special and only about the size of th 620 for me to consider changing again. I am not yet decided on what I'm going to do with the E-5 but it looks like it is going to stay home more often now...

But isn't that the point of coming out with the OM-D?!

Cornel Pasca's gear list:Cornel Pasca's gear list
Olympus E-M1
ayt
ayt
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?
random list

a few things I wish the E-M5 had:

a few more dedicated buttons versus relying on the SCP too much. specifically, direct access to switch between S-AF, C-AF, M would be ideal.

two batteries in the optional grip as with the HLD-3/4/5. having to remove the entire grip to access the in-body battery is not too great.

swivel screen for easy self-shooting. while I like the E-M5 implementation and it's ability to tilt discretely without having to swing out... it seems a bit restricted compared to the E-620 / E-30 / E-3 / E-5.

a microphone line-in on the body, versus having to use the SEMA-1. at least, panasonic's solution seems better to me, leaving the hotshoe for a wider range of compatible microphones.

IR remote shutter trigger. I use it, and it helps keep vibration at a minimum when shooting telephoto on a tripod with slow shutter speeds.

a more rugged finish. while the slick finish is nice and pretty, I'd go for the finish on the high-end Olympus DSLR bodies from a usability standpoint. I think the paint on the E-M5 chips too easily. perhaps I should handle it more delicately, like a leica M9... but it should be able to withstand a few bumps without worry. my E-620, which I've had for several years, has less dings than the E-M5. and I've been quite gentle with the E-M5 too.

fast telephotos that perform as well as on 43-bodies. either make the HG / SHG perform better, or offer comparable m43 versions. personally, I use the 2/150 and Bigma a lot, and the performance is quite subpar.

pretty minor things overall, and a few seem addressable with a firmware update (i.e. more dedicated controls / wider variety of selectable options), if they ever do address it. largely offset by the various improvements such as better IS, better sensor, and others that it doesn't worry me much. just a bit more inconvenient to use than with the bodies I'm used to using, but will probably change once I get more accustomed to the E-M5.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +37 more
dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
SCP in the viewfinder
In reply to ayt, May 24, 2012

Have you tried this? Activate the super control panel in the viewfinder and then just push the center button to bring it up whenever you need to change a setting, eye never leaving the viewfinder.

The more I use this little gem the more amazing I see it is!

Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, May 24, 2012

It seems that Olympus has got a lot of things right with this camera. It has been very popular not only amongst the faithful, but in general it has been recognised that this is a first class and innovative camera. Of course things do not stand still and in order to maintain the momentum they will have to keep going, and this probably means another body, higher spec which has been hinted at. It definitely means a couple of really good fast zoom lenses.

The two high spec lenses I own are the 12-60 and 35-100 which are some of the finest zooms ever made. Optically superb devices than are recognized as such by everyone. The new m4/3 system is going to need glass of this quality in order to stay at the top of the game.

I do not expect an f2 though - that would be folly and defeat the purpose of the system. Indeed I would trade my 35-100 for an f2.8 constant aperture version if one existed - that way it might leave the house more often!

Even Canikon die hards respect Olympus for their glass, even if they have scoffed at the DSLR bodies in the past, and I would love to see them maintain their ground here.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdloudon/

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,396
Like?
DSLR not the superior system anymore.
In reply to Jay Jenner, May 24, 2012

Very wise words.

But you are missing the conclusion: DSLR are not the superior systems anymore, on the contrary they will decline.

Witness Canon. After the half the hearted attempts of Nikon and Pentax, Canon will use 4/3 in their spearhead against O & P.

So leave the ode to 4/3 glass. Canon would have never made a dSLR system based on 4/3, despite the glass.

Besides the alleged superiority of 4/3 zooms vanish by the day, with HG Oly primes and the new Panny zooms.

Myths are hard to give up, but the truth is that you are desperately trying to protect a few thousand dollars of past investment.

Mirrorless can now cope perfectly by itself, in some tasks even better than FF dSLR.

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
Back to spread the (new, revised) religion amongst the heathens?
In reply to amalric, May 24, 2012

amalric wrote:

But you are missing the conclusion: DSLR are not the superior systems anymore, on the contrary they will decline.

Er... You've seen the design of the E-M5, right?

Styled after the OM SLR line. Selling far better than the PEN design. Strange, eh?

(Not to me, as the ergonomics make far more sense. Not that I dislike the E-330 ergonomics, as used in the NEX-7.)

Witness Canon. After the half the hearted attempts of Nikon and Pentax, Canon will use 4/3 in their spearhead against O & P.

Canon will never join FT. It is not in their interests to become just another option in a competitive and relatively open system.

They may well choose a sensor size similar to FT, and they will almost certainly choose a short register for the design. (In fact, they will have made those choices a long time ago, or several options, and be waiting for an opportune moment moment to introduce their competitor.)

So leave the ode to 4/3 glass. Canon would have never made a dSLR system based on 4/3, despite the glass.

The problem standard FT had was the smaller sensor size compared to APS-C. It was a well-designed digital system, rather than a bunch of compromises as required in APS-C (both variants), but marketing power combined with "the sensor is too small" worked against the format.

The Micro "reboot" intentionally avoided being seen to compete directly with APS-C systems again.

Besides the alleged superiority of 4/3 zooms vanish by the day, with HG Oly primes and the new Panny zooms.

Primes don't replace zooms. Panasonic's 12-35 f/2.8 is expensive, but does look good so far.

Unfortunately, still not a replacement for the 12-60; just as the mZD 12-50 is no 12-60 replacement.

Myths are hard to give up, but the truth is that you are desperately trying to protect a few thousand dollars of past investment.

Point out the "replacement" options in Micro.

Mirrorless can now cope perfectly by itself, in some tasks even better than FF dSLR.

Come back when they have a ZD 12-60 and ZD 50-200 replacement -- or, more likely, when they have a Micro body that works properly with them.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Jay Jenner
Like?
Re: DSLR not the superior system anymore.

amalric wrote:

As good as the new m4/3 lenses are, they are not as good as those I have mentioned. Thats just a fact. If iits a zoom you want that is. The new 75mm lens looks fantastic though.

Well, yes, I have a couple of cracking good lenses. Are you suggesting that I should get with it and accept a compromise? Because at present that is what it would be. I would actually like a smaller system but its not ready yet.
--

JeanPierre Koenig
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

Not true for me. I want fast excellent zooms at reasonable prices, just like 12-60 and 50-200. Until then, the m4/3 is my go to to work camera (I own the epm1) for that, since the idea is to take it everywhere. I didn't get a Nikon D7000, which I liked when I borrowed one, simply because they didn't have the equivalent of the 12-60 and 50-200, so same thing for m4/3.

People may of course have different needs. But these are mine.

amalric
Like?
In reply to Jay Jenner, May 24, 2012

Jay Jenner wrote:

Well, yes, I have a couple of cracking good lenses. Are you suggesting that I should get with it and accept a compromise?

You forget that once upon a time 4/3 was considered a compromise - now a compromise that didn't work.

Because at present that is what it would be. I would actually like a smaller system but its not ready yet.

ROTFL. The truth that people who once had money don't have it anymore, and it's too late now to sell their assets.

Fact is that the new lenses are damn good, and damn expensive. The good thing is that m4/3 is far more universal as a system than 4/3 ever was.

And if all goes well, it will become more universal than any dSLR system.
This forum should welcome it, instead of flaunting old fripperies.

Even owners of Leica lenses are more dsicreet...

Am.

-- hide signature --
Jay Jenner
Like?

Oh, I do welcome it - totally. As more of a zoom guy than a prime guy, at present I am better off keeping my great lenses and old E3, though I recognize that the OMD is superior in every way technically. If I was a prime guy I would be all over the system already. (unless I had already bailed and got a K5 which is a very good option for prime shooters)
--

jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,553Gear list
Like?
Re: Back to spread the (new, revised) religion amongst the heathens?
In reply to boggis the cat, May 24, 2012

boggis the cat wrote:

Unfortunately, still not a replacement for the 12-60; just as the mZD 12-50 is no 12-60 replacement.

I think that the 12-35 is looking to be a very decent performer at least according to the slrgear tests

And at least for us in the UK the prices are not far apart . Though the clear advantages for mFT users are that it is smaller, lighter, has a constant aperture and critically full speed AF so it is bye bye 12-60 for me..
Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
amalric
Like?
Did you confess your sins lately, Boggis? :)
In reply to boggis the cat, May 24, 2012

boggis the cat wrote:

amalric wrote:

Er... You've seen the design of the E-M5, right?

Styled after the OM SLR line. Selling far better than the PEN design. Strange, eh?

Strawman.

(Not to me, as the ergonomics make far more sense. Not that I dislike the E-330 ergonomics, as used in the NEX-7.)

Canon will never join FT. It is not in their interests to become just another option in a competitive and relatively open system.

They may well choose a sensor size similar to FT, and they will almost certainly choose a short register for the design. (In fact, they will have made those choices a long time ago, or several options, and be waiting for an opportune moment moment to introduce their competitor.)

The problem standard FT had was the smaller sensor size compared to APS-C. It was a well-designed digital system, rather than a bunch of compromises as required in APS-C (both variants), but marketing power combined with "the sensor is too small" worked against the format.

No we see that it wasn't the sensor's size, but how heavy the SHG lenses were. No real advantage. Not the promise of 4/3 anyway.

Canon is now losing market share because of lighter and smaller, including lenses.

Different lifestyle.

The Micro "reboot" intentionally avoided being seen to compete directly with APS-C systems again.

Primes don't replace zooms. Panasonic's 12-35 f/2.8 is expensive, but does look good so far.

Point out the "replacement" options in Micro.

Come back when they have a ZD 12-60 and ZD 50-200 replacement -- or, more likely, when they have a Micro body that works properly with them.

No replacement needed, even the Shuttle went in a museum. A mean little private X capsule just replaced it

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads