BMX a77 Tamron 70-200 2.8

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions
dobbin
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
BMX a77 Tamron 70-200 2.8
May 21, 2012

I'm slowly getting happier with my photography, so thought I should open myself up to some C&C. I'm interested in any comments at all, composure, kit, proscessing etc

All were taken at a Red Bull BMX event in London yesterday, and it was very overcast with no sun at all.

Many thanks.

dobbin's gear list:dobbin's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
TomvL
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
Re: BMX a77 Tamron 70-200 2.8
In reply to dobbin, May 21, 2012

Nice shots!

You could open your lens a bit so you would have more isolation of the cyclist, as the background would be more out of focus.

Also, be aware of the background: On the first one the electricity pole is quite visible. For the last one with the city the background works really well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dobbin
Like?
In reply to TomvL, May 21, 2012

Thanks. You're completely right about the electricity pole.

It is in fact part of a large broadcasting mast that is a bit of a landmark, and because I know this, I thought it interesting and left it in. But yes, when I look again with fresh eyes, and forget that I know it, it does indeed look boring and distracting. Thanks!

Sony SLT-A77
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,315Gear list
Like?

Nice set considering overcast conditions.

I'd have to also second the recommendation to opening up the lens a bit. Something like f/4 or f/5.6 should have given you enough DOF while also blurring the background away just a tad more. Maybe even f/2.8, though unsure how your copy performs optically wide-open (mine was okay but much sharper by f/4)

Question - these look like heavy crops, am I right? Just wondering how close you were to the action.

-- hide signature --
 jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
dobbin
Like?
In reply to jl_smith, May 21, 2012

Yes, I'm kicking myself about my choice of f stop too. Not just for the reasons you mention, but also because I could have lowered my ISO as a result, as I think they are a little noisier than they needed to be. I made the poor decision that a greater depth of field would help me get more shots in focus, but it wouldn't have made a big difference in these conditions/distances I think?

They are all cropped a bit for composition, but some are indeed more heavily cropped than others. I generally found myself places on the course where I was next to a ramp, but still with a good view of the following section. So if the shot is from behind the rider, it is probably more heavily cropped than the others, as I'm following him down the course beyond my own vantage point.

Sony SLT-A77
Takuya
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing here. You should easily have been able to shoot at ISO 400 if not 200 with a wider aperture. But of course, depending on the speed of your autofocus, I can understand wanting a greater DOF to be sure it was in focus. I'm still trying to learn how to best use my 85/2.8 lens to this degree. I have so many issue with grain and out of focus shots because of movement in my images unless I get a REALLY fast shutter speed.

Keep shooting, don't give up and have fun with it. Good shots, really. I wish the kids at the local skate park would get as high in the air as those in your shots.

Takuya's gear list:Takuya's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
dobbin
Like?
In reply to Takuya, May 21, 2012

I shot a fair bit of it manually actually, because it was very easy for the auto-focus to fix on a passing spectator and ruin a bunch of shots, and I deliberately wanted the practise anyway. While waiting for the next rider, I'd pre-focus on the ramp ready for the first few shots, and then just do my best to keep up after the rider had past that point.

Sony SLT-A77
Arimin
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

Great Shots ! Did you try with fill flash ?

I´m thinking on exactly this combo of A77 + 16-50 + Tamron 70-200 2.8, could you tell me something about them? AF speed, IQ and everything that you think important to share ?

Thanks in advance !!

dobbin
Like?
In reply to Arimin, May 21, 2012

Well, I don't really feel qualified to comment on IQ etc, that's kind of why I've posted them to see what the 'grown-ups' have to say.

That said, I didn't ever feel limited by the kit, only by my own skills and where I put myself on the track.

I researched the Tamron before I bought it, and the only real criticism seemed to be its auto focus, but I never found it a problem. To be fair, I didn't have unrealistic expectations about it either ie I didn't blame the lens when someone wandered in front of me and stuffed up the focus etc.

Sony SLT-A77
Arimin
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

Well, great to hear that AF wasn´t an issue ! I think that A77 motor helps to move it.

Regarding IQ, I heard that the 70-200 generate incredible image for his price, inclding compared to very expensive lens like 70-200G or Nikon one. If you have time an want to, share some picts form this combo !!

dobbin
Like?
In reply to Arimin, May 21, 2012

Well, what you see there is literally all I have at the moment, as the lens is very new to me.

And I'm not sure how soon I'll be taking any more as I seem to have 'accidently' just bought a 70-400G on ebay! Ooops. (seriously thought I'd get out-bid. Hey ho.)

Sony SLT-A77
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads