D300 shooting banks feature - do/how do you use it?

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions
funnelwebmaster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060
Like?
D300 shooting banks feature - do/how do you use it?
May 21, 2012

I know this feature is available but i've never really tried to set it up. How does it help you? What sort of settings do you use between the banks?

-- hide signature --

My Art, Your Pleasure

Kvenna
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: D300 shooting banks feature - do/how do you use it?
In reply to funnelwebmaster, May 21, 2012

I've had my D300 for about three years now, but have never had the need to use the custom banks.

There are all sorts of things that you can set to allow for quick changes if you need to shoot in various situations - indoor/studio, sports, or general, for example. I suggest you get something like David Busch's guide, which lists a number of suggestions.

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Atavar
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?

I use A and B, one is set up for manual and RAW in mind and the other fully automatic and jpg. I don't use the full auto much but leave the camera in that setting just in case i need to grab the machine for a picture that unfolds in front of me. Don't want to be twiddling dials when something awesome is happening.
--
'Perfection is a flaw in itself'

colinadams
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?

funnelwebmaster wrote:

I know this feature is available but i've never really tried to set it up. How does it help you? What sort of settings do you use between the banks?

I use A and B, along with custom banks A and B, intended to be used as pairs (which annoys me - to change over both, and to change between Aperture and Shutter priority takes something like 5 seconds - it ought to be quicker than that).

A stands for Action (for me). In the A-banks I have the settings I use (on average) for taking pictures of dragonflies in flight. This involves a difficult balance between DoF, shutter speed and ISO/noise.

B is what I use for other shots (mostly dragonflies resting). Base ISO, 14-bit RAWs, Aperture priority. Probably some other differences I've forgotten.

My normal settings are the A banks, because if I get a chance for a flight shot, I have no time to change any settings.

For other shots, in theory I have time to change the settings, make the shot, and then change back to the A banks. In practice, I tend to forget to change rather often. That's me, and something I have to work at, I guess.

Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to colinadams, May 21, 2012

A: Action-Sun-(Neutral-for fast P&S, sunny, action etc..)matrix
B: Landscape-DX2 II matrix
C: Flash/Low lightning neutral, af single
D: Portraits- portrait, 21 af points matrix

-- hide signature --
 Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
PaulF2
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
I find that the way banks work makes them useless

Initially I set up the banks for Portrait, Sports, etc , then I realised that they are useless because whenever you change a setting it sticks in that bank. When you change banks you get the setting you last used in that bank, not your initial settings. This means you can never be sure what is set so you have to check and reset anyway.

PaulF2's gear list:PaulF2's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Karld70
Senior MemberPosts: 2,466
Like?
Re: I find that the way banks work makes them useless
In reply to PaulF2, May 22, 2012

True, it will keep you last change. But it is handy for a quick change of the camera to a particular shooting situation.

What I do, and did even before I started using the shooting banks is after you are done with a shoot,.. spend the 2min (that is really all it takes, especially if you always do it) and set the camera back to your own user default for that shooting bank you used. That way when you pull out the camera the next time you go to use it, you will know 100% how the camera is already set up. It’s also fresh in your mind what you fiddled with. You pull it out it out 3 days later you will forget what you adjusted.

PaulF2 wrote:

Initially I set up the banks for Portrait, Sports, etc , then I realised that they are useless because whenever you change a setting it sticks in that bank. When you change banks you get the setting you last used in that bank, not your initial settings. This means you can never be sure what is set so you have to check and reset anyway.

jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,306
Like?
Re: I find that the way banks work makes them useless
In reply to Karld70, May 22, 2012

That kinda negates the whole idea for me - 2 mins after each shoot. I can see where you're coming from, but I can't think that way.

I'm another who likes the idea but can't for a moment embrace the implementation.

I've found I need to work manual everything but focus these days - changing EV in A-mode is inevitable, and forgetting to change it back equally so, but for some reason I find changing the dials in M more intuitive and tend to keep on top of them more. I pretty much only play with the exposure triangle of settings, so on the rare occasion I want something else I'd not remember which bank it was set on or how to access the banks in any case.

Where the banks would really pay for themselves is if I set one to T mode for tourist - that moment when you hand your camera over to a total strange (the one who usually needs educating as to how to use a viewfinder). My standard settings are M + mirror lockup, focus using the button on the back and not the shutter button. I made the mistake of handing it to another nikon dslr user recently and giving them free reign. He fiddled with every button available to try and get it how he wanted it. Afterwards, it took me ages to realise he'd managed to switch on exposure bracketing as I never use it.
--
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk
http://www.johnleechstudio.blogspot.com

donski
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: Here's mine
In reply to jkjond, May 22, 2012

A: Mixed shooting
B: Portrait only
C: Landscape only
D: Wildlife only

Custom banks follow suit.
Set Fn for My Menu.
Quickly and easily change banks.

TalkRadio
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to funnelwebmaster, May 23, 2012

I don't use them. If they were somehow write protected or could be locked so you couldn't screw them up by accident, then it would be usable. Having a bank of settings that would revert back to whatever you locked them at so they'd stay that way would be good. As it is now, you just have 4 different banks of stuff that changes.

Karld70
Senior MemberPosts: 2,466
Like?
I might not have worded what I was saying correctly
In reply to jkjond, May 23, 2012

jkjond wrote:

That kinda negates the whole idea for me - 2 mins after each shoot. I can see where you're coming from, but I can't think that way.

I might not have worded what I was saying correctly, I’m not saying 2min after a shoot.

What I’m saying is say you are going to be shooting sports, you have a bank setup for your defaults as a base starting point for you session, your default sports bank. As you use the camera for the shooting session, you will most likely make some changes. Now the session is over, the team is done you are getting ready to put your camera away. Take the time to quickly adjust your settings back to your default, you know exactly what you just changed. I say 2 min, I’m saying no more then 2 min to put it back, a lot of times it 30sec quick adjust. If you have to get out of there that second, then do it as soon as you get home. This way when you pull your camera out a week later, and you are ready to go you don’t have to go back and check to see where everything is left at.

I have been doing this for years, way before I had banks like in my D70. I would put it back to what was my “finish and pack away defaults”. There use to be people on the forum that would complain that they set their iso to 800 because they were shooting in low light. Then the next time they started shooting say next week, they would start out using iso 800 on a bright sunny day. (their SS would have been very high, a good indicator, but that didn’t seem to get their attention) The D70 did not have the iso in the viewfinder. People were sticking stickers on their camera to remember to check the iso. If they just put the camera back to a standard default they would not have this problem.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,239Gear list
Like?
I have four shooting menus...

1. Wildlife (general).
2. Flight (auto ISO, biased to higher shutter speeds).
3. Red (attenuates red channel).
4. UniWB.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Roberto Peradotto
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?
A:Wildlife/Sports B:Macro C: Portrait D: Landscape (NT)
-- hide signature --
 Roberto Peradotto's gear list:Roberto Peradotto's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads