Liberty University isn't a real university...

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,579Gear list
Like?
Liberty University isn't a real university...
May 20, 2012

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --
 Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 13,179Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Don_D, May 20, 2012

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Don

The problem in much of the world, is that people refuse to accept facts. If they don't like certain facts they make up their own reality, or, just ignore facts. And they really expect good to come out of it. California and Greece are fine examples of large numbers of people ignoring facts by spending more money than they have.

 Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Bill Randall, May 20, 2012

Bill Randall wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Don

The problem in much of the world, is that people refuse to accept facts. If they don't like certain facts they make up their own reality, or, just ignore facts. And they really expect good to come out of it. California and Greece are fine examples of large numbers of people ignoring facts by spending more money than they have.

Ad hominem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Bill Randall, May 20, 2012

Bill Randall wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Don

The problem in much of the world, is that people refuse to accept facts. If they don't like certain facts they make up their own reality, or, just ignore facts. And they really expect good to come out of it. California and Greece are fine examples of large numbers of people ignoring facts by spending more money than they have.

Good point Bill...and we all know that faith is the belief in something without the facts to support it.

-- hide signature --
 Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,798Gear list
Like?
"Liberty" should be renamed "Totalitarian" University
In reply to Don_D, May 20, 2012

They banned the Democratic Club on the school. Probably what they mean by Liberty is the Liberty to believe everything you're told, or else!

Dave
--
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 13,179Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to mamallama, May 20, 2012

mamallama wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Don

The problem in much of the world, is that people refuse to accept facts. If they don't like certain facts they make up their own reality, or, just ignore facts. And they really expect good to come out of it. California and Greece are fine examples of large numbers of people ignoring facts by spending more money than they have.

Ad hominem

Ad feminam

 Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 13,179Gear list
Like?
Re: "Liberty" should be renamed "Totalitarian" University
In reply to Chato, May 20, 2012

Chato wrote:

They banned the Democratic Club on the school. Probably what they mean by Liberty is the Liberty to believe everything you're told, or else!

Dave

Which brings up another point. Often it is not really critical that you believe, but that you always say you believe. The "audience" can't tell the difference and you are going with the flow.

 Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Don_D, May 21, 2012

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Liberty is a Christian university that teaches a certain Christian belief (there are more than one) in some of their classes. They are also one of the most conservative universities in the U.S.

A Mormon, Muslim, Catholic, Lutheran, Jew or an atheist would probably not be interested in attending Liberty because of the strong religious overtones throughout the campus.

Students at Liberty get a good education and are taught love of God and country.

Graduates don't occupy wall street and don't expect the American tax payers to pay for their education.

Liberty is a contrast to the most liberal universities that encourage a different philosophy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WoodMaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,985
Like?
Ad nauseum...(nt)
In reply to mamallama, May 21, 2012

mamallama wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Don

The problem in much of the world, is that people refuse to accept facts. If they don't like certain facts they make up their own reality, or, just ignore facts. And they really expect good to come out of it. California and Greece are fine examples of large numbers of people ignoring facts by spending more money than they have.

Ad hominem

-- hide signature --

Wilhelm, the WoodMaven

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Nell27, May 21, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Liberty is a Christian university that teaches a certain Christian belief (there are more than one) in some of their classes. They are also one of the most conservative universities in the U.S.

I think that certain Christian belief is the "He!l, Fire and Brimstone" plus everybody is wrong except us variety.

A Mormon, Muslim, Catholic, Lutheran, Jew or an atheist would probably not be interested in attending Liberty because of the strong religious overtones throughout the campus.

Given that, I can understand why Romney looked uneasy and avoided mentioning his own faith at all. Politics make strange bedfellows.

Students at Liberty get a good education and are taught love of God and country.

Graduates don't occupy wall street and don't expect the American tax payers to pay for their education.

Liberty is a contrast to the most liberal universities that encourage a different philosophy.

That's the most positive spin you can put on Liberty University. And it's generous.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
Add vacuum..(nt)
In reply to WoodMaven, May 21, 2012
-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Nell27, May 21, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

-- hide signature --

Liberty is a Christian university that teaches a certain Christian belief (there are more than one) in some of their classes. They are also one of the most conservative universities in the U.S.

A Mormon, Muslim, Catholic, Lutheran, Jew or an atheist would probably not be interested in attending Liberty because of the strong religious overtones throughout the campus.

Students at Liberty get a good education and are taught love of God and country.

Graduates don't occupy wall street and don't expect the American tax payers to pay for their education.

Wow, you say all of this as though it is all a good thing?

Liberty is a contrast to the most liberal universities that encourage a different philosophy.

Liberty is a contrast to the most other universities that encourage different philosophys.

Never seen an exclusively liberal uni before. They never even happened in the sixties. In the one I studied at and others I associated with you got all types.

I can see how it all seems this way to a right winger though. Most of the left wing types went on to great things while a lot of the right wingers just went back home and ticked over. Makes the liberals stand out a bit.
--

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Don_D, May 21, 2012

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

I don't care if they teach it, as long as it's done in theology class and they don't pretend it has anything at all to do with Biology or any other science.

 Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Wyville, May 21, 2012

Wyville wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

I don't care if they teach it, as long as it's done in theology class and they don't pretend it has anything at all to do with Biology or any other science.

...and that they strip the science off the end of it to avoid any confusion perhaps?

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Nell27, May 21, 2012

Do they have a gay club on campus?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Wyville, May 21, 2012

Wyville wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

I don't care if they teach it, as long as it's done in theology class and they don't pretend it has anything at all to do with Biology or any other science.

It's sort of a mixed bag.

Apparently, Liberty University lost its accreditation in Virginia in 1982 from pressure from the ACLU, so that graduates were uncertifiable as public school teachers, since Liberty only taught creationism in biology classes (and everywhere else). To respond to this, the university moved all the creation coursed to their new Creation Studies department and was able to have students be teacher certified.

All Liberty University students are required to take a course in creation studies, but biology majors are also required to take a class in evolution studies. The evolution studies class makes the case of why evolution is a fallacy and creation is correct. Hmmm?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to RossAndrew, May 21, 2012

RossAndrew wrote:

Do they have a gay club on campus?

I wouldn't think so. They even ousted the Democratic Party Club.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to mamallama, May 21, 2012

mamallama wrote:

Wyville wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Bill Maher:

"Liberty teaches "creation science" and the idea that the earth was created 5,000 years ago. "This is a school you flunk out of when you get the answers right".

I don't care if they teach it, as long as it's done in theology class and they don't pretend it has anything at all to do with Biology or any other science.

It's sort of a mixed bag.

Apparently, Liberty University lost its accreditation in Virginia in 1982 from pressure from the ACLU, so that graduates were uncertifiable as public school teachers, since Liberty only taught creationism in biology classes (and everywhere else). To respond to this, the university moved all the creation coursed to their new Creation Studies department and was able to have students be teacher certified.

All Liberty University students are required to take a course in creation studies, but biology majors are also required to take a class in evolution studies. The evolution studies class makes the case of why evolution is a fallacy and creation is correct. Hmmm?

Can't imagine it myself. A subculture that actually gets nostalgic for the dark ages and the inquisition. Shouldn't they all be getting out there and getting down with the Amish?

I hope they aren't availing themselves of modern medicines and vaccines. That would just be all too hypocritical.

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to mamallama, May 21, 2012

mamallama wrote:

It's sort of a mixed bag.

Apparently, Liberty University lost its accreditation in Virginia in 1982 from pressure from the ACLU, so that graduates were uncertifiable as public school teachers, since Liberty only taught creationism in biology classes (and everywhere else). To respond to this, the university moved all the creation coursed to their new Creation Studies department and was able to have students be teacher certified.

All Liberty University students are required to take a course in creation studies, but biology majors are also required to take a class in evolution studies. The evolution studies class makes the case of why evolution is a fallacy and creation is correct. Hmmm?

Technically they are doing nothing wrong. Although as far as I'm concerned it's certainly an objectional practice.

What they have is 'creationism' as a valid theological position. Personally, I don't see it as any different from any other theological position. And then they have 'evolution studies'. The trick with that is in the name. It's not evolution, the science, it's evolution studies ; The study of the field of science of evolution. That's on a different level. That's on a meta level.

Of course many of the less perceptive students will fail to notice this fundamental difference, but if we have to legislate to protect people from their own stupidity, we would never see the end of it.

 Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberty University isn't a real university...
In reply to Roger99, May 21, 2012

Roger99 wrote:

...and that they strip the science off the end of it to avoid any confusion perhaps?

That would be better. But, of course, they want that confusion in order to exploit it to further their own goals.

 Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads