Just dropped my new 5D3 :(

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
Dylthedog
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Just dropped my new 5D3 :(
May 20, 2012

Well, it fell off the tripod to be more accurate

To make matters worse it had my brand new (arrived Thursday!) 100 2.8L macro attached

I thought it was locked-on but it obviously wasn't. Fortunately it wasn't so high, about 1.3m, and it landed on the quick release bracket but slid/bounced across the laminate floor and has quite a few cosmetic scuff marks.

There are no marks on the lens, thank goodness, and both appear to function OK.

The mat coating has rubbed off on the pentaprism and is marked elsewhere though. I know pro's wear that stuff as a badge of honour but I'm a bit OCD about that stuff, so if anyone has experience of getting that repaired please let me know.

I knocked the quick release once with my 5D2 and my 17-40L and just caught the camera by the strap before hitting some rocks so I religiously lock it now; can't say I'm so confident about the tripod at all now

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
mac west
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Re: Just dropped my new 5D3 :(
In reply to Dylthedog, May 20, 2012

Thats awful. feel your pain I am ocd and it is a horrible way to live. If it was me I would have to buy another 5d3.
--
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,450
Like?

D'oah! I generally drape the camera strap around a tripod knob as a backup safety. Perhaps a black Sharpie or dab of flat black enamel paint will help mask the ding.

RichW
Forum ProPosts: 12,759Gear list
Like?
Any picsd?.... :)
In reply to hotdog321, May 20, 2012

I'd send it to Canon for repair. You may have damaged the prism. Sorry...

-- hide signature --

Yea, my 5D3 has the light leak with the lens cap on. The pics are better with the cap off anyway.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

Ouch! That hurts!

In a perverse way, you know can focus on using your camera for making photographs and worry less about maintaining it as on object of technological perfection. You might try covering up some of the scuff marks with a Sharpie or similar. You'll soon stop worrying about it I think.

(Yes, I've done this to my gear, too.)

Dan

Dylthedog wrote:

To make matters worse it had my brand new (arrived Thursday!) 100 2.8L macro attached

I thought it was locked-on but it obviously wasn't. Fortunately it wasn't so high, about 1.3m, and it landed on the quick release bracket but slid/bounced across the laminate floor and has quite a few cosmetic scuff marks.

The mat coating has rubbed off on the pentaprism and is marked elsewhere though. I know pro's wear that stuff as a badge of honour but I'm a bit OCD about that stuff, so if anyone has experience of getting that repaired please let me know.

I knocked the quick release once with my 5D2 and my 17-40L and just caught the camera by the strap before hitting some rocks so I religiously lock it now; can't say I'm so confident about the tripod at all now

ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
If the prism is damaged...
In reply to RichW, May 20, 2012

If the prism is damaged, then I would expect a whole lot more to be damaged since I believe the prism is one solid chunk of glass.

RichW wrote:

I'd send it to Canon for repair. You may have damaged the prism. Sorry...

-- hide signature --

Yea, my 5D3 has the light leak with the lens cap on. The pics are better with the cap off anyway.

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Scratch marks...

I had a friend who was very OCD and he used to sand paper a small section of all of his lenses and cameras in order to get the "first incident" out of the way.

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,675
Like?

Dylthedog wrote:

How sad...

It's always a bit traumatizing when brand new items suffer these kinds of mishaps. Being that I am a bit clumsy with my hands, the possibility that things like that could happen keeps haunting me...

I remember that the very first thing that happened to my brand new 70-220 f/2.8 II, after taking it for a ride for the first test shots, was putting a scratch on the barrel somehow, already at home. Till this day, I still don't know how it happened (it was OK when I arrived home, after the test...).

It was (...still is...) a bit saddening because this is an iconic lens for me, the one I would keep, even if I had to sell everything else.

There's an acrylic paint sold by french paint manufacturers Pébéo that I always use to retouch D1 body scratches since, when it dries, it is color-wise indistinguishably from the body paint (...the physical scratch will be there still, obviously...). It's the Pébeo Deco, Matte black 55.

http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/P.BO-deco

Hope this helps.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
In reply to gdanmitchell, May 20, 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:

In a perverse way, you know can focus on using your camera for making photographs and worry less about maintaining it as on object of technological perfection. You might try covering up some of the scuff marks with a Sharpie or similar. You'll soon stop worrying about it I think.

(Yes, I've done this to my gear, too.)

Dan

It's perverse but very true. First time my tripod+head fell over (without a camera attached thankfully) I rued the deep scuff marks. But now that they're there I'm much less ginger with it and it has allowed me to do my landscape setups much faster and not have to worry about keeping it "mint". It's even more true for a pair of used 5Ds I bought over the past year, one which had a full-width scratch across the LCD at the time of my purchase - I handle and use that body in ways/situations I would never do with an expensive "mint" body (because of worries for eventual resale value) and it has meant getting photographs I would have missed otherwise.

Dylthedog
Like?
Thanks for all the advice

Photokhan - cheers, I'll try the paint. Its the textured finish that's come off and the edge of it is what's visible, maybe that will stop it being so obvious.

I think that it's because it's so new it annoys me so much - as some of you say I'll clearly get over it. I take such good care of my stuff it really gets to me when I mess it up

Still, I could have bent the 100L as well and that would have REALLY hacked me off!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,158Gear list
Like?

Oh cr@p!

Sorry to hear that.

I would have a word with a Canon repair centre and see if you can get it repaired. At the end of the day you will be a lot happier if there is no sign of it on the body to remind you.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the advice

sorry to hear,

I think investing on a good tripod is very important and make sure how to effectively locking it with all the weight...

-a

Dylthedog wrote:

Photokhan - cheers, I'll try the paint. Its the textured finish that's come off and the edge of it is what's visible, maybe that will stop it being so obvious.

I think that it's because it's so new it annoys me so much - as some of you say I'll clearly get over it. I take such good care of my stuff it really gets to me when I mess it up

Still, I could have bent the 100L as well and that would have REALLY hacked me off!

Dylthedog
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the advice
In reply to alien3333, May 20, 2012

I thought I did!

It's a Manfrotto ball head, I was sure I'd locked it.

I've tried to repeat it since but I just can't make it do it again. I'll be super careful in the future, that's for certain!

alien3333 wrote:
sorry to hear,

I think investing on a good tripod is very important and make sure how to effectively locking it with all the weight...

-a

Dylthedog wrote:

brosenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 739
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 20, 2012

PhotoKhan wrote:

Dylthedog wrote:

How sad...

It's always a bit traumatizing when brand new items suffer these kinds of mishaps. Being that I am a bit clumsy with my hands, the possibility that things like that could happen keeps haunting me...

I remember that the very first thing that happened to my brand new 70-220 f/2.8 II, after taking it for a ride for the first test shots, was putting a scratch on the barrel somehow, already at home. Till this day, I still don't know how it happened (it was OK when I arrived home, after the test...).

It was (...still is...) a bit saddening because this is an iconic lens for me, the one I would keep, even if I had to sell everything else.

There's an acrylic paint sold by french paint manufacturers Pébéo that I always use to retouch D1 body scratches since, when it dries, it is color-wise indistinguishably from the body paint (...the physical scratch will be there still, obviously...). It's the Pébeo Deco, Matte black 55.

http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/P.BO-deco

Hope this helps.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

The Pébeo Deco, Matte black 55, is it good for the Nikon D1 only ?, I am afraid Nikon paint finish is/might be different than Canon, do you happen to know the color code for the Canon 5D Mark III ?, or the same code/color combination should work ?, thanks
--
Bernard

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,675
Like?
In reply to brosenz, May 20, 2012

The Pébeo Deco, Matte black 55, is it good for the Nikon D1 only ?, I am afraid Nikon paint finish is/might be different than Canon, do you happen to know the color code for the Canon 5D Mark III ?, or the same code/color combination should work ?, thanks

I have used it with my Canon 1D cameras (MKIII and MKIV).

I don't have an idea of what other color codes might be, for other cameras.

As a matter of fact, I kind of casually stumbled upon this one. I was trying it for the first time, when I noticed how well it blended into the original finishing, once dry.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
tagged NT
In reply to birdbrain, May 20, 2012

birdbrain wrote:

Oh cr@p!

Sorry to hear that.

I would have a word with a Canon repair centre and see if you can get it repaired. At the end of the day you will be a lot happier if there is no sign of it on the body to remind you.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?

Really sorry for your problem.

Will home owner or rental insurance cover an accident like that? Just the thought is enough to make me check with my insurance agent once the office is open ...

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,153Gear list
Like?
Switch to an Arca-Swiss system......
In reply to Dylthedog, May 21, 2012

Dylthedog wrote:

I thought I did!

It's a Manfrotto ball head, I was sure I'd locked it.

I've tried to repeat it since but I just can't make it do it again. I'll be super careful in the future, that's for certain!

That's a perfect reason to switch to an Arca-Swiss mounting system before it happens again, since you aren't the first and won't be the last with Manfrotto gear......they're just cheap

I know many old Manfrotto users will chime in since they haven't had issues with them but why risk thousands of dollars of gear on a $10 system?
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Dylthedog
Like?
Re: Switch to an Arca-Swiss system......
In reply to Hank3152, May 21, 2012

I appreciate the suggestion Hank, and will look into it, but the gear I have was hardly 10 bucks!

The carbon tripod and head cost over $400... I know there are more expensive options but that is hardly cheap

Hank3152 wrote:

That's a perfect reason to switch to an Arca-Swiss mounting system before it happens again, since you aren't the first and won't be the last with Manfrotto gear......they're just cheap

I know many old Manfrotto users will chime in since they haven't had issues with them but why risk thousands of dollars of gear on a $10 system?
--
Regards,
Hank

Dylthedog
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, May 21, 2012

Thanks

I am covered and once I get the quote from the repairer I'll decide if it's worth claiming on my home policy, if it's a few pounds off the excess I won't bother.

Having slept on it I'm still annoyed! Oh well...

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Really sorry for your problem.

Will home owner or rental insurance cover an accident like that? Just the thought is enough to make me check with my insurance agent once the office is open ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads