Took a lifestyle photo session with my d800 today

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
rrichie
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Took a lifestyle photo session with my d800 today
May 20, 2012

Let me know what you think

Used 24-70mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.4d for lens.

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?
Re: Took a lifestyle photo session with my d800 today
In reply to rrichie, May 20, 2012

Richie,

This one is the only one I like.

rrichie wrote:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrichie
Like?
In reply to exposure, May 20, 2012

Mind letting me know what I did wrong or what to improve?

exposure wrote:
Richie,

rrichie wrote:

Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?

Is the last (8th) picture a multiple exposure?

When I first saw it I wondered why you had the couple OOF and on the extreme right. I then glanced around the frame and noticed a couple below the bridge in the lower left of the frame, embrassing, with others looking on. Then it hit me. That's the couple.

Sorry to be a bit dense, but what are you trying to 'say' here?

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
rrichie
Like?
In reply to Testing123, May 20, 2012

LOL yeah i saw that, so many people were taking photos that day plus i was just trying to be creative.

I put that last one cause i thought it was creative composition wise. Kinda wish those people weren't in the background. Didn't actually gave it to the couple. I have the same thought as you did. nice observation

I chose 8 interesting ones, thats not all i took that day. 983 photos. D800 froze twice, only for a minute or two though. I think its the buffer time, I waited a minute, turn off and on and it worked again. (no histrogram or whatever the other one is enabled, i read that supposedly fixed it (not really btw))

exposure
Like?

These are much better. I would crop some of them. What do they look like in B&W?
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

odedia
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?

rrichie wrote:

I think they're all great. Especially liked the one where they are out of focus, you can see a different couple kissing in the distance.

rrichie
Like?

Haven't really played around with it yet. I'll post some later in b&w.

Shot it yesterday and edit them till 4am. Too excited. I have a love and slight hate on my d800 lol.

exposure wrote:

These are much better. I would crop some of them. What do they look like in B&W?
--

rrichie
Like?
In reply to odedia, May 20, 2012

Thank you.

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,081
Like?

rrichie wrote:

You didn't do anything wrong. You did a great job, and the couple will be ecstatic. Looks like you worked hard to make them happy.

exposure
Like?

Richie,

Look forward to see them in black & white. I think once you've edited you will have some really nice images. I hope you didnt take my comments in a negative way.

Andrew
--

rrichie
Like?

oh no no. not at all. Thanks for your comments

i really wanted more input. I am still trying to play around with my style. Black and white certainly will be one option but other colors. I have trouble trying to edit them. Reason why is I'm so terrified sometimes editing the real colors of the world.

I do kinda like the supreme white slightly washed out look that people are throwing around lately. I'm just trying to figure out how to do them without washing out the entire image.

Best regards,

Renard

exposure wrote:

Richie,

Look forward to see them in black & white. I think once you've edited you will have some really nice images. I hope you didnt take my comments in a negative way.

Andrew
--

Jeweller
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?

You have a lot of blown highlights mainly because of the harsh lighting. You also have missed the focus on quite a few shots. F1.4 doesn't give you much DOF especially at 85mm. Even F2.8 isn't great when you shoot this close. You will notice how much better the DOF is in the 24mm shot and F2.8.

Pay a lot more attention to the light and the backgrounds and your compositions. Be very careful about cutting off fingers, feet, etc.

It would be better to shoot these type of photos in the shade or at a more appropriate time of the day when the lighing is much better.

Sorry but I would really expect a lot better than this from someone advertising as a professional.

tdptdp
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?

My only advice would be to talk that dude into washing the wispy little goatee-thingy off his face before he has his picture taken.

rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538
Like?
I like the Golden Halos

Great job

adfhg
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
In reply to Jeweller, May 20, 2012

"Let me know what you think" since you asked...stop investing in equipment and start buying some books and taking some classes. Most pics are over exposed and poorly edited. Composition isn't great either. Sorry I know it hurts but it's for your own good. Don't stop posting your pics here just be prepared for criticism.
--
vic.

Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?

They're all very good - lively and interesting. Technically, there's not much to fault them except a few blown highlights and maybe slightly off-focus in some shots due to narrow depth of field. But you've used these stylistically and I don't think the clients would mind. They probably would not prefer perfect f/8 studio type exposures either.

The one exposure liked is perhaps the only "conventionally" framed one - and this probably reflects more on his taste than on the quality of your photography.

rrichie wrote:

exposure wrote:
Richie,

rrichie wrote:

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

Several shots seemed too staged for my taste. Be careful of composition and framing, whereby hands, arms, and feet should not be cropped out awkwardly. In the first photo, two figures in the background distract from the main subjects. Several photos seemed to have been shot in mid-day, resulting in harsh and unflattering shadows on the faces. White balance seems off to me as well. I know you can do better.

rrichie
Like?
In reply to adfhg, May 20, 2012

LOL i am expecting criticism. it was supposed to be for that. And for the record i put logo professional stuff cause on the side i'm trying to start a freelance business.

I have a day job this is just merely what you guys called Amateur taking occassional event shots.

I am not hurt with whatever you guys may say in this forum. I know some of you are professional and all that.

Lately the trend that i'm seeing in the engagement style lifestyle shoot people around my area are way washed and overblown too. I mean i liked the look of it its more natural i think but again. To each its own.

Look. I expect to be bashed. I want to be good.

adfhg wrote:

"Let me know what you think" since you asked...stop investing in equipment and start buying some books and taking some classes. Most pics are over exposed and poorly edited. Composition isn't great either. Sorry I know it hurts but it's for your own good. Don't stop posting your pics here just be prepared for criticism.
--
vic.

Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

rrichie
Like?
In reply to phototrope, May 20, 2012

Thank you. Here is a question to you that i wanted to ask personally. I know that if i put f7-8 depth of field will increase.

Some of you that comment earlier on why i should take a class and book instead doesn't know that i purposefully shoot that around f1.4-f2.8. Its a shot taken outside around 3pm. If i want the most everything in focus kinda shot. It would results in details on the background that i don't like.

I love cliff mautner and the outdoor shot he took probably has f stop of no bigger than 4. you can tell by the blurred background he has.

Last time i shot it with f7 the background was a little too distracting for my taste.

Now the question sorry... Is it wrong to take shots that kinda has a soft feel to it?

Not everything has to be sharp and detaily right? I used to go that route and i feel like its just a little too snapshooty. I dont know if you know what i meant.

The overblown highlights department or the white balance is another thing that confused me. I agree that maybe i did too much on some but I purposefully did that. Now if you're saying that i should tone it down and add more lights to the subject (thats when i would be like ahh okay i'll fill in more lights next time).

The white balance i did shift a little toward the warmer side. Not much at all. just off by 100k or so 2 shots there probably way like 800 lol. Like i said i am looking for my own style and asking the people on this forum which is the trend of photography goin

Sorry to bring Cliff mautner to this but i bet you if he post photos on this site. he would be bashed by white balance issue too. For example

you tell me thats her skin color. if you do she will be The most asian white person i know (i'm asian ps so i'm not making any racist joke here since im doing that to myself).

phototrope wrote:

They're all very good - lively and interesting. Technically, there's not much to fault them except a few blown highlights and maybe slightly off-focus in some shots due to narrow depth of field. But you've used these stylistically and I don't think the clients would mind. They probably would not prefer perfect f/8 studio type exposures either.

The one exposure liked is perhaps the only "conventionally" framed one - and this probably reflects more on his taste than on the quality of your photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads