Nex-7 on a Vacation?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
FMPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,944Gear list
Like?
Nex-7 on a Vacation?
May 20, 2012

Okay, I am a long time Nikon shooter who has dabbled with Sony equipment in the past, most recently picking up a NEX-7 w/ 18-55, 24mm, 55-210, 16mm and 50mm lenses. I am looking at a vacation we are planning in June starting in San Fran for a couple, taking Pacific Coast Highway to San Diego and then a couple days in San Diego. I don;t know if I will get a chance to make this trip again and was wondering, how comfortable would you be taking the Nex-7 over say the D800 with lenses. Again, this is probably a once in a lifetime shot and while I don;'t expect you to answer for me, I would love yo get opinions and reasoning as to what you would do and why. Thanks all
--
Robb
http://www.robbquinnimaging.com

'Dancing through life......those who don't try, never look foolish'
NPS Member
NAPP/WPPI/NANPA Member
WSSA Member #76

FMPhoto's gear list:FMPhoto's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Smiert Spionam
Contributing MemberPosts: 547
Like?
Re: Nex-7 on a Vacation?
In reply to FMPhoto, May 20, 2012

Like you, I've long used Nikon, and have been shooting the NEX (first the 5n, and now the 7) for about six months. I'll be taking the NEX-7 on a similar trip this summer myself -- Santa Cruz and Big Sur (the latter of which is one of my favorite places on earth). I have few, if any, qualms about only taking the NEX. It's liberating to travel light, and the NEX-7 is very capable with good lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?

Well, if it is truly once in a lifetime, then that suggests the D800, unless there are other considerations, such weight, bulk, actually enjoying the vacation, etc.

acipriano
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?

Once in a lifetime... then bring the D800. Unless you really really need to travel light.

I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all my life. I have not gotten tired of the beauty of the California coast. Especially from Point Reyes south through the Marin Headlands, Golden Gate, San Francisco Bay, Monterey, Carmel, Point Lobos, Big Sur, Cambria, Moro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and the Channel Islands.

While you are at it, if you need a tripod. The best tripods and ball heads are built in San Luis Obispo; RRS.

-- hide signature --

Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336Gear list
Like?

I almost went for a D800, but it might not have shown up before my departure date!

As it is, I have no regrets whatsoever getting the NEX-7 instead. It is actually better than a DSLR for all the close-up product shots I do at home.

For my upcoming lifetime trip, my though is this. The D800 would likely be somewhat better for super-detailed landscapes. But if I were REALLY trying to build a career, exhibiting giant landscape prints I would probably not be using small format at all - I'd be shooting film on a 4x5" or larger view camera.

Since I am not quite that serious about my landscapes, the NEX-7 is more than adequate for my purposes. Used properly, its sensor can capture more detail than most FF DSLRs except the D800. (Using the comparison tool on this site, I actually preferred the NEX-7 RAW samples over the D800 in a few instances.)

IQ differences not being so huge, I think I am going to REALLY enjoy the size & weight benefits of the NEX - especially when I go hiking!

The biggest drawback has been the availability of fully-compatible high-IQ extra-wide options. I have a Tokina 11-16 on the way that will hopefully take care of that.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +2 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

last year when I first got my NEX-5 I decided to test exactly this. I went for a week to Pismo beach and I left my Nikon and all of my lenses behind and all I took was the NEX-5 and the 18-55 kit lens.

it worked perfectly, and never missed my nikon gear at all. Shots where I normally would have used my Nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I just used the cameras sweep pano mode and it worked great.

After that trip I sold my two Nikon bodies and 5 lenses and when I go to Cabo San Lucas next November all I will be taking is my NEX-7 and the 30mm f/2.8 - I might throw the kit 18-55 in the bag, but I doubt I will use it, I havent even mounted it on the NEX-7 sense I got it.

I know that some people think that if you dont have a huge selection of lenses you miss shots - - and I guess that could be true depending on how you think about things, but I have found that when I take just one lens I dont take any fewer pictures. I become very aware of looking for and finding shots that work specifically with the lens I have. I actually think if I more choices I might miss shots I would have taken if I were more focused on using just one lens.

I dont know your style so I cant tell you what will work for you, but I have found that the little NEX with one lens well be with me 99% of the time on a vacation - - I have yet to find a situation where having the NEX is inconvenient, unfortunately I can say the same thing about my Nikon D200 with the 17-55 f/2.8

whatever you decide have fun and take lotts of pictures

FMPhoto wrote:

Okay, I am a long time Nikon shooter who has dabbled with Sony equipment in the past, most recently picking up a NEX-7 w/ 18-55, 24mm, 55-210, 16mm and 50mm lenses. I am looking at a vacation we are planning in June starting in San Fran for a couple, taking Pacific Coast Highway to San Diego and then a couple days in San Diego. I don;t know if I will get a chance to make this trip again and was wondering, how comfortable would you be taking the Nex-7 over say the D800 with lenses. Again, this is probably a once in a lifetime shot and while I don;'t expect you to answer for me, I would love yo get opinions and reasoning as to what you would do and why. Thanks all
--
Robb

NPS Member
NAPP/WPPI/NANPA Member
WSSA Member #76

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

You still have some time, so you can best try it yourself. Take the two cameras with you on a short (one day) trip. Try to take the same pictures at the same spots with the same FL nd apperture and then decide if your Nikon is realy better then the Sony.

Then you have to decide if you will take the bigger and heavier Nikon with you as much as you take the smaller Sony.

Remember, the IQ of the camera doesn't count annymore when you leave it in your hotel room...

Be sure you know the camera you take with you as good as you can, so you won't miss any opportunaty.

swixtwix
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
In reply to FMPhoto, May 21, 2012

You're going to be fine. Take a lot of shots... bring extra SD Cards as well as batteries. And shoot in RAW with the confidence that you'll be able to PP to the expectations of your DSLR... not that shots out of the NEX-7 aren't great.

As for lenses... take them all! The kit will still be light compared to all the glass you'd be bringing with the Nikon.

Have a great time! Post pictures.

swixtwix's gear list:swixtwix's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Nexographer
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?

I also come from the Nikon camp and I took just a NEX-5 with 2 lenses for a trip in 2010, where I went before with Nikon D100/D200 and some heavier lenses.

You need to be aware of the limitations that the NEX system has against your DSLR stuff:

Slower AF, poorer lens selections, especially on the wide side. If you can live with that - no problem taking only the NEX. IQ-wise they are as good as anything else with same sensor size. Plus it is so much more comfortable to carry less stuff.

If you consider a D800 you're probably not on a budget, so if you go with the NEX, I'd suggest you to take a spare body (the 5/5n) - just in case.
And you won't have to change lenses that often.
Enjoy your trip!

JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?

Once in a lifetime, driving down and back? I would take both and use whichever one fits the situation.

FMPhoto wrote:

--
Robb

NPS Member
NAPP/WPPI/NANPA Member
WSSA Member #76

win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,872
Like?
One you know the best
In reply to FMPhoto, May 22, 2012

Nikon user with a relatively new NEX-7. So far there is no way I would leave behind my D300. The NEX-7 has wonderful image quality, but it is fiddly, confusing and difficult to use compared to a DSLR. And that menu. Maybe when I have some more usage under my belt...Till then I might take both with one lens for one of them, just to get in some practice.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

The NEX-7 + kit can't approach the quality of the D800 with a decent zoom... but could you lug the D800 around on a vacation?

With primes, at low ISO, the image quality of the NEX-7 will come very close to the D800... but I personally don't want to be changing lenses all the time while travelling.

Another option is to put a good quality standard zoom on the NEX-7. I'm using the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS, on the LA-EA2. With this you lose the compactness, but you get to exploit the NEX-7's sensor. It's way more manageable a D800, and unlike a DSLR the LA-EA2 is removable leaving you with a very small camera when required.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
ricklangdon
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

"Heavy", no pun intended, Canon user...5d, 40d, 24-70 L, 17-40 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8. About 1 1/2 months ago sold off some old film cameras, not so good glass and a G10 and bought a 5n, 7, sel 16 2.8, sel 50 1.8, sel 18-55, sel 55-210, sigma 19 and 30 and flashes for both 5n and 7. WOW! And all that fits in a Lowepro Orange Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack. Two weeks after receiving the new gear had a week trip to St Martin/St Marteen. Labored over whether to take Canon, Sony, or a combination. Decided on an all Sony trip because of the weight...all Sony not much more than 5d and 24-70. Was NOT disappointed at all! Ended up with over 1200 pix and actually got 2 photo shoot gigs (one paying). Will have my zenfolio website updated in the next few days for your review. I still rely on my Canon gear for paid jobs ie. commercial, portrait and fashion. But with amazing IQ, I would't be afraid to use Sony at all.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?

I just took a big trip to South Africa for a month and had decisions to make with the same lenses you noted. I actually sold the 55-210 just before going. I ended up taking the Zeiss 24, SEL50, the 16 with the wide angle adapter, and the kit 18-55 lens.

After a month in Africa, I realized that I used the Zeiss 24 about 90% of the time and the SEL 50 the other 10% of the time. Both were useful when I used them and I only had 1 time where I had the 24 on and wished I had a zoom as I took photos of about 200 dolphins jumping out of the ocean not far from our boat, but far enough that the 50 would have been perfect. Ah well. When I go on another international trip this summer, I'll only be taking the 24 and 50. I also have a Sirui carbon fiber tripod that attaches well to my backpack.

I do have a Canon FD 200/2.8, which would be nice if going on a big game reserve in Africa, but I can't imagine taking it on any other vacation. I do tend to shoot more street photography type shots so my lens needs should not carry too much weight to the OP unless he's shooting people shots like me.

Final note . . . I had times when I thought about using the 16 and wide angle adapter and I was content to use the Zeiss 24 and the panoramic feature on my NEX-5N. I am pleased with how that works for wide angle shots and I can crop to what I most desire if super wide angle is too much.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
paltokyo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

made a similar decision myself recently:

took the d8oo and four lenses AND the nex-7 with the two kit lenses. in all ways but one the D800 is superior. The NEX-7 is small and lighter and thats it. for all but poor lighting its fine for most all kinds a photos. For shots that count in a big way, I would take the D800 and leave regrets behind. Having said this though, I am planning another trip soon and face that same dilema but thinking of the NEX-7 with the 28-300 and fast lens. Should be fine, but is fine or 'good enough' the point?

FMPhoto
Like?
In reply to paltokyo, May 22, 2012

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I really like the suggestion of trying for myself. I am thinking a trip into Chicago in the coming days will be in order and I will take both and do a daywalk and then figure it out for myself. Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.
--
Robb

NPS Member
NAPP/WPPI/NANPA Member
WSSA Member #76

Bill McClung
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?
Absolutely!

With the lenses you have (I also have them), I would not hesitate to only take the NEX-7. I plan to do exactly that myself this summer. I was a confirmed Nikon guy for many years (F, F3 and F5s). In February, I sold my D300 and most of the heavy duty glass I had and bought into the NEX system.

I ran a part-time wedding business for 24 years and was used to carrying around a lot of heavy metal and glass (think Hassleblads here). But, as I get older, just got tired of having such a heavy kit. The NEX-7 is an amazing camera and does what you will want it to do, without all that heavy baggage. And, you might like to try some of your Nikon lenses on the NEX-7. My old Minolta Rokkor MD lenses are stellar performers on the camera.

If you like, you can visit my pbase gallery dedicated to NEX-7 images:

http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill/sony_nex7_images

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.
REMEMBER, AMATEURS BUILT THE ARK.
PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC!

FMPhoto
Like?
Re: Absolutely!
In reply to Bill McClung, May 23, 2012

Thanks Bill. That is quite the impressive gallery you have. It does look like we have a lot of the same lenses. I appreciate the time to share your thoughts.
--
Robb

NPS Member
NAPP/WPPI/NANPA Member
WSSA Member #76

Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,067Gear list
Like?
I would not
In reply to FMPhoto, May 23, 2012

I would bring the NEX-7 as a secondary body. It might end up taking most of th pictures, but if you take any fast action shots, viewfinder and shutter delay will make life difficult for you.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +16 more
JacquesBalthazar
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
In reply to FMPhoto, May 23, 2012

One thing to test in your rehearsal run is how you get along with the NEX 7 EVF under bright sunlight. The experience changes depending if you wear glasses or not, if you wear corrective shades, if you shoot with shades on or off, etc, as that impacts the EVF image visibility as well as the viewfinder's sensor that decides to switch the EVF on.

With bright days becoming more frequent even under my lousy Belgian weather, I discovered that I hated my NEX 7 under those conditions as the EVF looks so dark I often cannot even tell if it is on or off. And I hate lifting glasses up or down when I raise the camera to my eyes, and I hate changing dioptric settings on viewfinder, etc.

From a quality point of view, you will not suffer any loss traveling light with NEX 7. You will feel more comfortable and relaxed, and your neck and shoulders will feel much better. Going out for the day with just one lens on the NEX is a very nice experience. I do that with the 24mm CZ or the 30mm Sigma, and love it. As long as the sun is not too bright.
Having said all that, I am on a waiting list for a D800....

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads