Panny Lenses with no OIS switch on E-M5

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
Panny Lenses with no OIS switch on E-M5
May 20, 2012

I know this has been discussed a lot....but that was before a lot of people had the E-M5.

For Panasonic lenses such as the 14-42x what was the final conclusion about how to deal with double IS. Simply turn off IS in the camera?

Which lenses have you tried (E-M5 specifically)? How were the results?

Thanks!
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny Lenses with no OIS switch on E-M5
In reply to TEBnewyork, May 20, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

I know this has been discussed a lot....but that was before a lot of people had the E-M5.

For Panasonic lenses such as the 14-42x what was the final conclusion about how to deal with double IS. Simply turn off IS in the camera?

For Oly cameras in general:

If the OIS can be turned on/off by a switch on the lens barrel: Set OIS on and IBIS off or OIS off and IBIS on, depending on what you like best. If on, OIS will operate in what Panasonic terms mode 1 (OIS active already before the shot if you half-press the shutter button and compensates for pitch as well as yaw).

If the OIS cannot be turned on/off by a switch on the lens barrel: For the time being, this means that OIS is always off when the lens is used on an Oly body.

On the E-M5 right now:

According to the reports I have seen, there is a firmware bug that prevents OIS from working during the exposure itself (although it will work prior to the exposure).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bryan Biggers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,510Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 20, 2012

Anders W wrote:

According to the reports I have seen, there is a firmware bug that prevents OIS from working during the exposure itself (although it will work prior to the exposure).

Oh, that is interesting, does that apply to Panny lenses that do have the OIS switch also? That might explain why OIS does not seem very effective on my new 45-200 lens. On the plus side, it would mean that you could leave both turned on and get OIS during framing, then use the E-M5 IBIS during the shoot, best of both worlds I would think.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Bryan Biggers, May 20, 2012

Bryan Biggers wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes. It was discovered by forum user kenw when testing the IBIS on his E-M5 versus the OIS on the 14-45. Eventually, he discovered that the OIS was not turned on during the exposure itself when used on the E-M5. Here is the thread in case you are interested:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41297304

Oh, that is interesting, does that apply to Panny lenses that do have the OIS switch also? That might explain why OIS does not seem very effective on my new 45-200 lens. On the plus side, it would mean that you could leave both turned on and get OIS during framing, then use the E-M5 IBIS during the shoot, best of both worlds I would think.

I can't guarantee that the bug has the same effect on all OIS lenses although that's likely to be the case. And yes, you could do what you suggest if you set up IBIS so that it is not active before the exposure, only during the exposure itself. But I am not sure I see the point of doing it. Why not use IBIS before as well as during the exposure?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
TEBnewyork
Like?

So, my take is even if Panny has now sorted out the problems with the pancake zoom don't bother with it on the E-M5 until Oly sorts out the problems of IBIS on an OIS lens without a switch. So, glad it is one happy family of manufacturers. for m4/3

Anders W wrote:

Bryan Biggers wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes. It was discovered by forum user kenw when testing the IBIS on his E-M5 versus the OIS on the 14-45. Eventually, he discovered that the OIS was not turned on during the exposure itself when used on the E-M5. Here is the thread in case you are interested:

I can't guarantee that the bug has the same effect on all OIS lenses although that's likely to be the case. And yes, you could do what you suggest if you set up IBIS so that it is not active before the exposure, only during the exposure itself. But I am not sure I see the point of doing it. Why not use IBIS before as well as during the exposure?

-- hide signature --
Anders W
Like?

TEBnewyork wrote:

So, my take is even if Panny has now sorted out the problems with the pancake zoom don't bother with it on the E-M5 until Oly sorts out the problems of IBIS on an OIS lens without a switch. So, glad it is one happy family of manufacturers. for m4/3

I can see what you mean by the last sentence and am prone to agree.

However, when it comes to what I think is your practical problem for the moment -- should you get the X 14-42 or not -- your only worry is if Panny has now sorted out at least part of the problem with that lens (blurry images at certain FLs and shutter speeds with OIS off). As long as that's the case, you can happily use it on the E-M5 with (the reportedly very good) IBIS.

The rest of the Panny problem (blurry images at certain FLs and shutter speeds with OIS on) and the whole Oly problem (how their firmware handles OIS on this or that body) should be of no concern to you. The OIS on the lens will be disabled when used on the E-M5, but why would you worry about that if you have IBIS?

TEBnewyork
Like?

Anders W wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

However, when it comes to what I think is your practical problem for the moment -- should you get the X 14-42 or not -- your only worry is if Panny has now sorted out at least part of the problem with that lens (blurry images at certain FLs and shutter speeds with OIS off). As long as that's the case, you can happily use it on the E-M5 with (the reportedly very good) IBIS.

Correct

The rest of the Panny problem (blurry images at certain FLs and shutter speeds with OIS on) and the whole Oly problem (how their firmware handles OIS on this or that body) should be of no concern to you. The OIS on the lens will be disabled when used on the E-M5, but why would you worry about that if you have IBIS?

Because read the above posts that apparently there is a bug that IBIS doesn't work with these lenses. Only the viewfinder is stabilized.

-- hide signature --
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?

TEBnewyork wrote:

Sorry to ask again, but this thread is not entirely clear on what works and what doesn't on the E-M5. Below are a list of possibilities. Is the following accurate?

1. E-M5 with OIS-Switch Lens: (a) if OIS Switch is in Off position and IBIS set to On, the camera functions properly; (b) if OIS is in On position, and IBIS set to OFF a glitch means that there is no image stabilization.

2. E-M5 with OIS-No-Switch Lens: (a) if IBIS is set to Off position, glitch means that there is no image stabilization; (b) if IBIS is set to On position camera functions properly (with IBIS on and OIS off).

TEBnewyork
Like?
In reply to Lobalobo, May 20, 2012

My take from what I've read......

Lobalobo wrote:

Sorry to ask again, but this thread is not entirely clear on what works and what doesn't on the E-M5. Below are a list of possibilities. Is the following accurate?

1. E-M5 with OIS-Switch Lens: (a) if OIS Switch is in Off position and IBIS set to On, the camera functions properly; (b) if OIS is in On position, and IBIS set to OFF a glitch means that there is no image stabilization.

My understand is the opposite in scenario b) there is image stabilization

2. E-M5 with OIS-No-Switch Lens: (a) if IBIS is set to Off position, glitch means that there is no image stabilization; (b) if IBIS is set to On position camera functions properly (with IBIS on and OIS off).

Again my understanding is the opposite in scenario b) there is no image stabilization
--
terry

Anders W
Like?

TEBnewyork wrote:

Anders W wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

Correct

Because read the above posts that apparently there is a bug that IBIS doesn't work with these lenses. Only the viewfinder is stabilized.

You misread my first post. What I said was that there is a bug in the current E-M5 firmware that prevents OIS (not IBIS) from working during the exposure itself (although it works for stabilizing the EVF/OLED view prior to exposure).

This bug is consequential only for lenses with a switch for turning OIS on/off on the lens barrel. On lenses like these, you should be able to use OIS even on the E-M5 but the firmware bug currently prevents proper operation.

For lenses like the X 14-42, which do not have an OIS switch on the lens barrel, OIS will be completely off on the E-M5 (and other Oly bodies) until Oly changes its policy on how to handle these lenses.

Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?

Thanks, so even with the glitch, then, image stabilization is always possible, just not necessarily the choice of the method.

Anders W
Like?

Lobalobo wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

Yes this is all correct.

Again, this is correct except that the "glitch" is not the culprit in (a). With any Oly body, not just the E-M5, the OIS system is always disabled unless it can be turned on via a switch on the lens barrel. The reason here is that Oly has not yet cared to add a menu option for turning OIS on/off via the body. All Pany bodies, by contrast, have such a menu option, provided that you are running current firmware.

Anders W
Like?

Lobalobo wrote:

Thanks, so even with the glitch, then, image stabilization is always possible, just not necessarily the choice of the method.

Yes. IBIS is always available no matter what. The only glitch I have heard about in this regard is that IBIS does not work with "legacy lenses" (those where you have to enter the FL manually) in video mode. For stills, everything appears to be all right.

TEBnewyork
Like?

Which means if you want IBIS don't bother getting the lenses without a switch.
--
terry

TEBnewyork
Like?
Now you have me totally confused on this thread

Assume any OIS lens I use on Oly I want to use IBIS and not OIS.......forget about the viewfinder

You are saying the in all cases IBIS works switch or no switch.

Anders W wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

Anders W wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

Correct

You misread my first post. What I said was that there is a bug in the current E-M5 firmware that prevents OIS (not IBIS) from working during the exposure itself (although it works for stabilizing the EVF/OLED view prior to exposure).

This bug is consequential only for lenses with a switch for turning OIS on/off on the lens barrel. On lenses like these, you should be able to use OIS even on the E-M5 but the firmware bug currently prevents proper operation.

For lenses like the X 14-42, which do not have an OIS switch on the lens barrel, OIS will be completely off on the E-M5 (and other Oly bodies) until Oly changes its policy on how to handle these lenses.

-- hide signature --
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?

Anders W wrote:

Bryan Biggers wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Has anyone considered that this may not be a firmware bug after all - but instead an intentionally engineered characteristic (due to technical limitations arising out camera-lens communications) ?

With any Oly body, not just the E-M5, the OIS system is always disabled unless it can be turned on via a switch on the lens barrel.

Perhaps there exists some reason in the case of the E-M5 that lens-OIS during exposure conflicts ?

cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?

You have it completely backwards.

OIS lenses without a switch will only work with IBIS on olympus bodies.

OIS lenses with a switch can use either on most olympus bodies. However there is currently a bug that makes OIS not function properly on the EM5. IBIS works as intended on all OIS lenses.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
TEBnewyork
Like?
In reply to cmorse, May 20, 2012

Thanks.
--
terry

Anders W
Like?

TEBnewyork wrote:

Which means if you want IBIS don't bother getting the lenses without a switch.

No, try reading what I said again, slooowly! The in-body stabilization system on the E-M5 and other Oly cameras, known as IBIS, works just fine with any Pany lens, whether or not the lens has OIS, and whether or not it has a switch to turn OIS on/off.

The problems I mentioned are all about the possibilities to get OIS to work, in case you'd prefer to use it instead of IBIS (you should use either/or not both/and).

To repeat:

1. Pany lenses with a switch for turning OIS on/off on the lens barrel: OIS can be turned on instead of IBIS on all Oly bodies except the E-M5 where a firmware bug currently keeps OIS turned off during the exposure itself (but not before the exposure).

2. Pany lenses without a switch for turning OIS on/off: OIS is completely disabled on all Oly bodies since Oly firmware doesn't offer a menu option for turning OIS on/off.

TEBnewyork
Like?

Yes, I get it now what got confusing was the OIS in the viewfinder.
--
terry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads