60D SD Memory Card Speed Recommendation

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
xlr8or
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
60D SD Memory Card Speed Recommendation
May 20, 2012

I'm about to order a new Canon 60D and have not previously owned a digital SLR. Although I'm not that much into high speed sports photography, I would like to order a decent speed SD memory card for the 60D. I would probably be shooting in either RAW or RAW+JPEG formats. Most of what I'll be shooting will be candid family shots and nature (landscape/wildlife). Any suggestions regarding the speed of card needed for such applications starting out as a new digital SLR owner?

Thanks in advance!

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D SD Memory Card Speed Recommendation
In reply to xlr8or, May 20, 2012

xlr8or wrote:

I'm about to order a new Canon 60D and have not previously owned a digital SLR. Although I'm not that much into high speed sports photography, I would like to order a decent speed SD memory card for the 60D. I would probably be shooting in either RAW or RAW+JPEG formats. Most of what I'll be shooting will be candid family shots and nature (landscape/wildlife). Any suggestions regarding the speed of card needed for such applications starting out as a new digital SLR owner?

Thanks in advance!

I believe that the Canon spec is for a minimum Class 6 for the 60D. However, this spec will undoubtedly go higher as new cameras are released, so to 'future-proof' your card purchase, get at least Class 10 cards for your new camera. The 60D does not have the capability to take advantage of UHS-1 speeds and they are pretty pricey, so I wouldn't upgrade that far.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xlr8or
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, May 20, 2012

I read that Sandisk is a reputable brands of SD cards. Are there other reliable brands with which I can compare prices?

Thanks

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?

xlr8or wrote:

I read that Sandisk is a reputable brands of SD cards. Are there other reliable brands with which I can compare prices?

Thanks

Sandisk and Lexar are the most expensive but prolly the most reliable. Some recommend Transcend. I had good results with PNY SDHC cards in my XSi/450D.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903Gear list
Like?

As YOGI said, class 10 - the cost savings for anything lower isn't worth it as you never know what you'll be doing.

Sandisk is probably the very best, period.

I can also recommend Transcend (for SD only) as well as Lexar.

I've used Sandisk for years and years for CF and SD cards as well as USB memory. I have yet to have a problem with one. Some have (gasp!) gone through the washing machine. I've also been using Transcend for SD as well for years. I believe there's a video on youtube of Sandisk being abused.

I just picked up some Sandisk at B&H on sale, you can use this as a reference against other places and brands: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/SanDisk-One-Day-Special/ci/19004/N/4111826621

With the 60D and a class 10 Transcend card, I've shot well over 80 frames without running out of buffer (JPEG) at a time.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,563
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, May 21, 2012

I found a special price for Sandisk 64 GB Ultra C10 SDXC 30MB/s a week ago on Newegg for around $50/each. Only lasted a few days but they come around every now and then.
Kent Gittings

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422
Like?
In reply to xlr8or, May 21, 2012

I have several 16GB Class 10 Transcend cards, they work just fine for me.

Toby1Kenobi
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to xlr8or, May 21, 2012

SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10, which they advertise as 45 MB/s performance. They have good reviews and were on sale till recently below $20 at bhphoto. The sale is gone is gone, and shows for 24.95, but that is only $5 more.

They show the lower speed SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I , for 18.99 which is the Ultra line.

I have had multiple Sandisk SD and CF cards and one 32GB Transcend CF card, and no problems so far.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads