D800 has NO general AF problem!, on the contrary...

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
stany buyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?
D800 has NO general AF problem!, on the contrary...
May 20, 2012

It would be better to stop refering to some particular D800's with an AF issue as a general D800 problem because it definitely is not.

Both my D800 and D800E focus perfectly. They both focus faster and more accurate -with all focus points and even with TC's or extention tubes mounted- than any former Nikon dslr I've had before (D1H -> ... -> D3s).

I am testing all my cameras seriously the day I get them and if I have a problem, rather than whine on a forum, I make an appointment at Nikon repair in Brussels for calibration or repair. Also among the several competent professional photographers that I know personally and who are using D800 there is not one who has this problem. And be sure, they all know how to test AF accuracy with professional tools and professional setup.

D800's with the need of AF calibration for sure exist, but it is definitely not a general issue and blown out of proportion by the internet, by some users who wrongly think their body is affected, by some trolls and probably even by some disguised PR people from competitors.

With D7000 I had 2 copies that both suffered badly from back focusing. The first one I could return to the shop, the second one I gave in for focus calibration at Procirep Brussels and after that, autofocus was simply perfect and amazingly good.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
SkyDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: D800 has NO general AF problem!, on the contrary...
In reply to stany buyle, May 20, 2012

Influencer marketing is a sophisticated industry. Interesting enough, apart from the blunt recruitment of "brand ambassadors" in the online communities or the more "ethical" marketing through influencers, one of the most subtle techniques used in social networks to promote the product P of the brand B is to intentionally bash P in a forum of B passionate customers, in order to provoke a stream of vehement posts of authoritative forum members defending the product P. Quite clever, isn'it?
Cheers!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AtomicPunk
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?

The only problem with your post is I see not proof your camera(s) focus properly using the left most AF point with one of the lenses people (including myself) are having the most issues with. The 3 lenses include the 14-24 2.8, the 24-70 2.8 and the 24 1.4. If you have any or all of these lenses please focus on something using the left most point with the lens at 24mm and the aperture as wide as it can get. This is he main focus complaint of many with the 800 and 800E. To some extent the D4. I don't hear many people complaining how quickly or accurate the focus is. My copy is very fast to focus and accurate, as long as you don't use the left single AF points.

The left AF problem is real and there are many with the issue, not just Canon secret agents posting this out in the wild.

AtomicPunk's gear list:AtomicPunk's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?

Clearly you are the final authority on this so the problems many people have been experiencing must be a figment of their imagination based on your sample size of precisely 2

stany buyle wrote:

It would be better to stop refering to some particular D800's with an AF issue as a general D800 problem because it definitely is not.

Both my D800 and D800E focus perfectly. They both focus faster and more accurate -with all focus points and even with TC's or extention tubes mounted- than any former Nikon dslr I've had before (D1H -> ... -> D3s).

I am testing all my cameras seriously the day I get them and if I have a problem, rather than whine on a forum, I make an appointment at Nikon repair in Brussels for calibration or repair. Also among the several competent professional photographers that I know personally and who are using D800 there is not one who has this problem. And be sure, they all know how to test AF accuracy with professional tools and professional setup.

D800's with the need of AF calibration for sure exist, but it is definitely not a general issue and blown out of proportion by the internet, by some users who wrongly think their body is affected, by some trolls and probably even by some disguised PR people from competitors.

With D7000 I had 2 copies that both suffered badly from back focusing. The first one I could return to the shop, the second one I gave in for focus calibration at Procirep Brussels and after that, autofocus was simply perfect and amazingly good.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
resident
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?

They might not all have a problem but mine does and there doesn't seem to be a fix at the moment

resident's gear list:resident's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 20, 2012

Well,

Stany is right about that several here mentioning that ALL D800(E)s are suffering from the problem or mentioning that Nikon should sort out the problems (?) with the D800. Most without even having tried the camera their self.

One body I tried out has no focus issues, the other one which I'm using now for review purposes does have focus issues on the left outer focus point when using optical focusing, with in my case only the 14-24mm F/2.8G. The 24-70mm F/2.8G is working well, as the 35mm F/1.4G

What is clear and in a way logic is that you'll notice front or back focusing easily on the D800. Almost all my lenses show a little front or back focusing, too little for myself to fiddle around with it in-camera, too little to be even worried about it.

The focus system itself is in my opinion the best on any Nikon digital camera of today. The one in the D3S is excellent in speed of acquiring focus but the one in the d800 is by means of tracking capabilities surpassing it.

Again not saying with it that people not having problems with their cameras' It's however not correct to say that all bodies suffering from this outer left focus point syndrome while not in live view mode.

Michel

russbarnes wrote:

Clearly you are the final authority on this so the problems many people have been experiencing must be a figment of their imagination based on your sample size of precisely 2

stany buyle wrote:

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

-- hide signature --
stany buyle
Like?
In reply to resident, May 20, 2012

resident wrote:

They might not all have a problem but mine does and there doesn't seem to be a fix at the moment

As I wrote I don't doubt for a second that some D800's need calibration, just like some D7000 did. Mass production with human assembly automatically leads to some failures.
I'm sure they will fix your D800.

stany buyle wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

Nikon D1
stany buyle
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 20, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

Quite silly reaction, but didn't expect anything else by some here...

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

Nikon D1
AtomicPunk
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, May 20, 2012

M Lammerse wrote:
Well,

Stany is right about that several here mentioning that ALL D800(E)s are suffering from the problem or mentioning that Nikon should sort out the problems (?) with the D800. Most without even having tried the camera their self.

One body I tried out has no focus issues, the other one which I'm using now for review purposes does have focus issues on the left outer focus point when using optical focusing, with in my case only the 14-24mm F/2.8G. The 24-70mm F/2.8G is working well, as the 35mm F/1.4G

What is clear and in a way logic is that you'll notice front or back focusing easily on the D800. Almost all my lenses show a little front or back focusing, too little for myself to fiddle around with it in-camera, too little to be even worried about it.

The focus system itself is in my opinion the best on any Nikon digital camera of today. The one in the D3S is excellent in speed of acquiring focus but the one in the d800 is by means of tracking capabilities surpassing it.

Again not saying with it that people not having problems with their cameras' It's however not correct to say that all bodies suffering from this outer left focus point syndrome while not in live view mode.

Michel

russbarnes wrote:

stany buyle wrote:

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

-- hide signature --

Do you have any samples taken with the 24-70 at the 24mm setting F2.8 showing the left most AF point compared to the center? My 24-70 does not front or back focus. When I use the center point the pictures are razor sharp. When I use the left most point they are oof.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
AtomicPunk
Like?

stany buyle wrote:

resident wrote:

As I wrote I don't doubt for a second that some D800's need calibration, just like some D7000 did. Mass production with human assembly automatically leads to some failures.
I'm sure they will fix your D800.

stany buyle wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

The problem with this statement is their appears to be too many people with this left AF problem compared to the limited amount of cameras actually released. This doesn't appear to be just one offs here and there with a problem. Many bodies exhibit this problem. Very good photographers around the web have reported the same issue on multiple bodies. Thats just not some random issue with mass produced products. In addition, there are many people like the poster above reporting service centers have no idea how to fix the issue. So that too is not a sign of just something not aligned properly. And, yes there were many focus issues with the D7000, but when you are paying 3X as much for the D800, you expect more attention to detail and better resting and QC.

ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to AtomicPunk, May 20, 2012

How are they stopped down 2 stops? Are you saying that this is outside of Nikon's own specification, or outside of your own expectations? The two may not be the same.

stany buyle
Like?

AtomicPunk wrote:

The problem with this statement is their appears to be too many people with this left AF problem compared to the limited amount of cameras actually released. This doesn't appear to be just one offs here and there with a problem. Many bodies exhibit this problem. Very good photographers around the web have reported the same issue on multiple bodies. Thats just not some random issue with mass produced products. In addition, there are many people like the poster above reporting service centers have no idea how to fix the issue. So that too is not a sign of just something not aligned properly.

There were already reports on this forum stating that the problem was fixed after repair.

And, yes there were many focus issues with the D7000, but when you are paying 3X as much for the D800, you expect more attention to detail and better resting and QC.

After my double back focus experience with D7000 I agree that QC is where Nikon fails too often. The fix of my second D7000 was done in no time, and the repair sheet clearly indicated that the camera was confirmed about severe back focus.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

Nikon D1
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,446Gear list
Like?
Wow! Two data points out of tens of thousands...

Yes, that proves that the problem is not systemic.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,793Gear list
Like?
Stany ...

stany buyle wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

Quite silly reaction, but didn't expect anything else by some here...

Stany, generally speaking, I would say you are correct about the point that not all D800/D800e having focus issues. Some or many, probably even a majority, works flawlessly.

I have several friends and collegues who has gotten their D800, some have focusing issues (left side), others have not. None of the three photographers I have spoken to which have the issue, are much concerned, they seem to view it as something to be fixed when the camera is sent for service for one reason or another.

So, yes, I agree that there has been a bit of forum hysteria with the notion that "the D800 cannot focus" which is wrong in two ways: first, the AF generally speaking works fine (even with the flaw), and second, it is only some (large or small) part of the D800 population who has any problems at all.

But your post was almost equally aggressive in the opposite direction, leaving the impression you more or less denied this problem exist at all. I don't get the impression that was your intention, but the way you expressed yourself is easy to get such an impression.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
dominikov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058Gear list
Like?

stany buyle wrote:

There are some very real issues out there, no question about it, but I also wonder how many people coming from a 12mp camera like the D700 for example are focusing with the outer points at wider apertures, checking sharpness at 100%, and thinking their D800's AF is defective when compared to focusing with the center AF points.

Only Nikon's sharpest lenses stopped down are going to get anywhere near resolving 36mp of detail outside the center and AF can't do anything about it.

I mean there must be a lot of cashed up beginners buying these cameras that have no clue about the limitations of the glass they're using and if Nikon were to confirm there was a problem you'd have many of them inundating dealers and service centers with complaints when there is no problem with their camera.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +3 more
AtomicPunk
Like?

stany buyle wrote:

AtomicPunk wrote:

The problem with this statement is their appears to be too many people with this left AF problem compared to the limited amount of cameras actually released. This doesn't appear to be just one offs here and there with a problem. Many bodies exhibit this problem. Very good photographers around the web have reported the same issue on multiple bodies. Thats just not some random issue with mass produced products. In addition, there are many people like the poster above reporting service centers have no idea how to fix the issue. So that too is not a sign of just something not aligned properly.

There were already reports on this forum stating that the problem was fixed after repair.

And, yes there were many focus issues with the D7000, but when you are paying 3X as much for the D800, you expect more attention to detail and better resting and QC.

After my double back focus experience with D7000 I agree that QC is where Nikon fails too often. The fix of my second D7000 was done in no time, and the repair sheet clearly indicated that the camera was confirmed about severe back focus.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

And there are almost as many stating the problem is not fixed after repair including Ming Thein.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/04/05/and-the-nikon-d800-autofocus-saga-continues-with-some-comments-on-specific-lens-performance/

He was probably the first to report this issue. After looking at his site, I really respect him as a photographer and as an authority on this issue. He even states after service there are still some issues with the left AF.

Also, how can you be sure your D800 and D800E don't have this problem. I haven't seen any proof from you yet. Your 50mm and 105 test shots don't mean anything to me. Do you own any of the lenses most of the people are having issues with? I listed them in a previous post. Show me samples with those lenses and then I'll believe you don't also have the problem.

Bruce sawle
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?

AtomicPunk wrote:

stany buyle wrote:

AtomicPunk wrote:

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

And there are almost as many stating the problem is not fixed after repair including Ming Thein.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/04/05/and-the-nikon-d800-autofocus-saga-continues-with-some-comments-on-specific-lens-performance/

He was probably the first to report this issue. After looking at his site, I really respect him as a photographer and as an authority on this issue. He even states after service there are still some issues with the left AF.

Also, how can you be sure your D800 and D800E don't have this problem. I haven't seen any proof from you yet. Your 50mm and 105 test shots don't mean anything to me. Do you own any of the lenses most of the people are having issues with? I listed them in a previous post. Show me samples with those lenses and then I'll believe you don't also have the problem.

Intersting how everyone is willing to believe that someone with the issue is telling the truth without proof yet when some claims they have no issues everyone wants proof.

GAP IMAGES
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?

Well congratulations to you and your friends that have D800 cameras with perfect AF! I'm happy for you!

That said, it doesn't change the fact that many people have D800 cameras with AF issues that to date Nikon has not properly fixed or repaired!

ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, May 20, 2012

GAP IMAGES wrote:

Well congratulations to you and your friends that have D800 cameras with perfect AF! I'm happy for you!

That said, it doesn't change the fact that many people have D800 cameras with AF issues that to date Nikon has not properly fixed or repaired!

How many? You obviously have some reason to say "many" yet reading objectively here and elsewhere, I am forced to conclude that "not many" is closer to the truth.

Do you have some data to share with us on confirmed excursions of the cameras' AF systems outside of the Nikon spec, which helps you assess that it is "many" and not "a handfull"?

Reimar Gaertner
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 20, 2012

What does "no general AF problem" mean?

My Nikon service tech argued against ordering a new D800E, since they tried three time to fix mine without success, on the grounds that a new one would likely have the same issue!

So it's clear to me that the problem is widespread. Some cameras appear to be fine - I can accept that. Many others, and I think many is the correct word, are not. And it is not a simple calibration. I too had a D7000 with backfocus issues that went in for service and came back perfect; requiring no fine tuning. So I know Nikon can do good. They haven't on my D800E yet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads